Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install (G)FCEUX 2.0 NES emulator

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: Install (G)FCEUX 2.0 NES emulator

Quote Originally Posted by Genecks View Post
    I'm on a Debian Lenny system. And I'm not getting sound. I used the first post's instructions in this thread. Maybe things have changed?

Either way, I'd really like sound.
    Yes, sound on my box works (not with the FCEU, though).
    I believe I'm using an ALSA setup at the moment.

00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev a2)
    What kind of sound mixer are you using? (pulseaudio, esd, etc)?
    If you don't know chances are the man pages will give a hint (did for me) try
    apropos esd
    apropos pulseaudio

and see what you get. You can force an application to use your mixer in those two cases with the

esddsp

and

padsp

commands, respectively. Just put either one before the program you are launching like:

esddsp gfceux

note that if you have pulseaudio it has a wrapper for esd. For some reason on my system even though I have pulseaudio some programs will not work with the padsp command but will with the esddsp command (which is a wrapper to pulseaudio that takes esd style input). Your mileage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous admin
    root is a flying nuclear buzzsaw
    GETFIXED: Video BadAlloc crashes! Turn ON the error beep! Get 64 bit Flash! Fix mplayer!

Beans

Code:
    esddsp fceux /home/mocha/ROMS/NES/Recca.nes

Starting FCEUX 2.1.3 debug...
    Loading /home/mocha/ROMS/NES/Recca.nes...

08120020 PRG ROM:    8 x 16KiB
     CHR ROM:   16 x  8KiB
     ROM CRC32:  0xf31dcc15
     ROM MD5:  0x86e917c37515ace20d3b50dca4551f3b
     Mapper #:  4
     Mapper name: MMC3
     Mirroring: Horizontal

Initializing video...Initializing with OpenGL (Disable with '-opengl 0').
     Video Mode: 256 x 224 x 32 bpp 
    Paletted texture extension not found.  Using slower texture format...
    Loading SDL sound with esd driver...
    Quit
    I just checked out version 1753. Sound doesn't work very well. Tried with padsp wrapper as well. My system doesn't have pulseaudio problems in general.

Also, can't get any of the OpenGL scaling modes to work. It's probably related to the OpenGL bug 2740043 on Sourceforge. If I enable any of the scaling modes I just get a seg fault like this:

Code:
    esddsp fceux /home/mocha/ROMS/NES/Recca.nes

Starting FCEUX 2.1.3 debug...
    Loading /home/mocha/ROMS/NES/Recca.nes...

08120020 PRG ROM:    8 x 16KiB
     CHR ROM:   16 x  8KiB
     ROM CRC32:  0xf31dcc15
     ROM MD5:  0x86e917c37515ace20d3b50dca4551f3b
     Mapper #:  4
     Mapper name: MMC3
     Mirroring: Horizontal

Initializing video...Initializing with OpenGL (Disable with '-opengl 0').
     Video Mode: 768 x 672 x 32 bpp 
    Paletted texture extension not found.  Using slower texture format...
    Loading SDL sound with esd driver...
    Segmentation fault

Beans

I was wondering , how can I remove fceux , if installed with the method mentioned in the first post?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Has anyone here ever gotten fceu to work with an XBox controller? I have almost gotten it, but just can't quite get there. I have everything working except for the d-pad, which fceu just won't recognize. It's weird because SuperTux will recognize it, and fceu actually works with the joystick. It's just that playing NES games with a joystick is awkward.

If anyone can offer any advice at all, I'd appreciate it.

- Derrick

Beans

Like the dev said earlier, it seems the input configuration in FCEUX isn't up to par yet.

In the meantime you should use a joystick->keyboard mapper to make your joystick create keypresses instead of button presses. Personally I use QJoyPad which has profiles, can map axises as well as buttons, and has a very user friendly dialog to set everything up. You can even set up one of your analog sticks to act as a mouse, if you like!

Other alternatives that I've heard of but not tried include xjoypad and rejoystick (which I've heard good things about).

Unfortunately I don't think any of them come with a ubuntu package at this time. QJoypad wasn't difficult to compile. All I did was download the source and make sure that I had the needed libraries before running "./configure" then "make".

If configure complains about missing libraries, try running the following apt-get:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install build-essential libqt4-dev qt4-qmake libqtgui4 libqtcore4 libxtst6 libxtst-dev
    That should get more or less everything you need to compile programs, including this one specifically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Thanks for that post. I'll give it a try. I tried jkeys once, but it didn't seem to map axis, just buttons, and for some reason the d-pad on the Xbox controller is an axis, not 4 buttons.

I'll try out some of those and post here about how it worked out.

Thanks,
    Derrick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I followed the method mostly but I had already downloaded the current version so I just followed the method from my download folder. If I'm not mistaken I'm supposed to just move the folder elsewhere right? If so what folder would you suggest (Single User-Ubuntu 9.1)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by derrick81787 View Post
    Thanks for that post. I'll give it a try. I tried jkeys once, but it didn't seem to map axis, just buttons, and for some reason the d-pad on the Xbox controller is an axis, not 4 buttons.

I'll try out some of those and post here about how it worked out.

Thanks,
    Derrick
    QJoyPad works great. I'm running GNOME and so I tried the others first (since QJoyPad uses QT) but they weren't anywhere near as good as QJoyPad. I tried Jojsticken, which is the newer rewrite of Rejoystick, but it just didn't recognise the d-pad. Then I tried xjoypad, but it just wasn't very user friendly to set up. QJoyPad ended up working great, and it was easy to compile and install.

- Derrick

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

OK Going to try this ? what about system requirement ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Quote Originally Posted by Nisal View Post
    OK Going to try this ? what about system requirement ?
    I didn't install FCEUX, but I installed the older version, FCEU, that is in the repositories. I have a little, underpowered netbook, and it works fine, so I'd say the system requirements are pretty low.

The only problem I encountered was that the graphics were a little choppy on my cheap integrated video card. Disabling OpenGL fixed that though. I think the option I had to specify was -opengl 0. After that, and after using QJoyPad to set up the controller, it works great for me.

- Derrick

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast