Hey all, fceuX-sdl dev here. I see you guys have brought up a lot of new issues so I'm going to try to address all of them.
* Fullscreen cursor not being hidden - FIXED in r1651
* Audio issues - First, try running fceuX through esddsp. If you're using pulseaudio and not alsa, this should eliminate all poor audio performance. Secondly, as mentioned earlier, update to SDL 1.2.14. There are some audio-related bug fixes in that update that are relevant to fceuX. I'm not sure if there's a package yet, but it will be default in Ubuntu+1 and it's simple to install via source. TBH, i'm not sure why SDL 1.2.14 isn't in the update repository yet. THANKS SHAGGIN SHEA FOR THE ESDDSP TIP! I was hacking the SDL sound code for weeks, and it wans't even an issue in my code.
* Input configuration issues - Let me start off by saying that the "--inputcfg" system used in fceuX is extremely outdated and has a lot of problems right now. I'm working on it. For now, use a third party utility to map joystick buttons to KEYS. I know there are apps that do this but I can't think of the names off hand, search the apt repos.
* Scons bombing out - You're using a pretty damn old version of scons. Either update to the latest scons, or replace each instance of variables with options like Shaggin Shea mentioned earlier.
* GFceux issues - Gfceux is getting depreciated. FceuX is getting a GTK GUI that will remove the need for a launcher. If you'd like to try it out, enable the GTK option in the SConstruct (line 15). Just change the 0 to 1 and you're good to go.
This thread seems to be the most active discussion of the SDL version of fceuX. I encourage you all to participate in the fceuX community (http://fceux.com). I reply to the mailing list ASAP, and check the tracker fairly often. We're also fairly active on IRC (#fceu @ irc.freenode.net) so come check us out there.
Furthermore, you can contact me directly at < LTsmooth42 _at_ gmail _dot_ com > . I'm not bothered by questions / feedback / issues related to fceuX because I want to see fceuX be as good as it can be.
So, now that that's settled, you guys can kick back and play some f*****g nintendo while I code away