Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install (G)FCEUX 2.0 NES emulator

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install (G)FCEUX 2.0 NES emulator

Quote Originally Posted by quequotion View Post
    In order to get gfceux to work (after compiling without a prefix) I tried to cut out everything to do with the network setup. (there's a colorful comment in main.py justifying this action as well...)

take a look at this main.py (from /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/gfceux/) in which I've commented out everything that i thought might be relevant.. I am not familiar with the code however so it's pretty likely I did something wrong. I did make one small deletion, where "network" was requested whenever you hit a button on the gui.

The good news is, fceux works fine anyway, and now I can even use gfceux to configure the controllers, screen, sound, and load games. (haven't tried any lua scripts yet.)

Also, there's another bug in uninstall.py for gfceux, where it looks for files in the wrong directory (after installing with a prefix). I've attached my revision to this as well...

ps - I'd very much like to work with the svn directly but the checkout link on the homepage doesn't seem to be working... is it just me or is the repository down?
    Hey, thanks a lot for reporting that. I actually screwed that up a little while ago and didn't know it got committed broken as all hell.

I also just fixed the uninstall script in svn; i changed the default install a while ago to /usr/local and I guess i forgot to change that. . python doesn't really have a good install/uninstall mechanism (well I guess autotools don't either)

gfceux will probably not get any more features from me, as I'm putting my time into the GTK GUI for fceux right now. The GUI currently runs in a seperate window due to technical limitations right now, but if/when SDL 1.3 gets released, this will be a lot better to integrate. With the seperate window you will be able to change options and controls on the fly, and will be much more integrated with the emu itself

expect some good things when I have some spare time

Beans

im having trouble getting sound working with fceux, and im pretty sure its a SDL issue. i have a ion 330 motherboard and im using hdmi for audio, its working for everything else but sdl applications. i did however get mednafen to work but only after changing settings that are not available in fceux, i used -sounddriver alsa and -sounddevice sexyal-literal-default

if anyone knows how to fix this or force sdl to use a different sound device for every application that should fix it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewJohn View Post
    im having trouble getting sound working with fceux, and im pretty sure its a SDL issue. i have a ion 330 motherboard and im using hdmi for audio, its working for everything else but sdl applications. i did however get mednafen to work but only after changing settings that are not available in fceux, i used -sounddriver alsa and -sounddevice sexyal-literal-default

if anyone knows how to fix this or force sdl to use a different sound device for every application that should fix it.
    I am having this or a similar problem as well, I did find this http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...36&atid=113536 which mentions updating libSDL-1.2.14 from version 1.2.13 which is apparently in the Lucid suppositoy. I am using ubuntu 9.10 (I don't even know what libSDL version I am using) could somebody let me know how to check/update this? I will post the results. Hope this helps you matthewjohn

******UPDATE******
    I was able, it seems, to solve my sound jitter and emulator crashing as follows
    1. I already had followed the howto and was getting crashes/choppy sound
    1.a. I downloaded and intalled libsdl1.2_1.2.14.orig.tar.gz found here http://packages.ubuntu.com/source/lucid/libsdl1.2
    Please note I am using ubuntu Karmic 9.10 and had to go to the ubuntu lucid(10.x) packages to do the update. Apparently as far as I could tell from other forum threads the sdl libraries even though it's a minor update number 1.2.13 ->1.2.14 it fixed a not so minor bug. But the update is not in karmic repositories.
    2. Followed the rest of the howto even the gefcux part (maybe unnecessary)
    Tada! My sound emulation came out much better, perfect maybe.
    Hope this helps someone else!
    Last edited by Shaggin Shea; January 17th, 2010 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Avoiding a triple post the best way I can think off.

Beans

Now I have a separate problem.
    When I am trying to set the controls for my xbox controller terminal gives me a segmentation fault. It has something to do with the directional pad. When I push the joystick, both the left analogue and the left directional pad.

Left Directional pad is the worst

Starting FCEUX 2.0.3...
    GamePad #1: A (1)
    GamePad #1: A (2)
    GamePad #1: B (1)
    GamePad #1: B (2)
    GamePad #1: SELECT (1)
    GamePad #1: SELECT (2)
    GamePad #1: START (1)
    GamePad #1: START (2)
    GamePad #1: UP (1)
    Segmentation fault

I get through sometimes with the analogue but it's not pretty, for some reason it shoots forward in the setup of the controls (for example it says push up I do, then it asks me to push turbo b) here is a sample analouge controller fceux.cfg for controller 0 (player 1)

SDL.Input.GamePad.0A = 49152
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0B = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0DeviceNum = 0
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Down = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Left = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Right = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Select = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Start = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0TurboA = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0TurboB = 32768
    SDL.Input.GamePad.0Up = 32768
    Last edited by Shaggin Shea; January 17th, 2010 at 04:46 AM.

Beans

I installed gfceux in karmic using the scons command but now I am having trouble removing it. I was wanting to use sixaxis as a usb controler but didnt get anywhere so i figured that I would just remove gfceux. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.
    Last edited by revmns; January 21st, 2010 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sou_agua View Post
    Trying to get FCEUX working on my gf's old laptop (running ubuntu 8.04). Here is the error I get when I try to run sudo scons install:

Code:
    scons: Reading SConscript files ...
    NameError: name 'Variables' is not defined:
      File "/home/nikki/fceux-2.1.2.src/fceu/SConstruct", line 5:
        opts = Variables()
    The laptop is a Compaq with AMD64 processor. I've read through this thread and the FAQ on the fceu website. I haven't played with any Linux stuff in a long time. Is the fix on this something easy that I'm forgetting? I installed all the dependencies from the beginning of this HOWTO, and tried svn, and installed gtk++. No dice yet.

Thanks,
    ~S
    I worked around that by replacing 'Variables' in lines 5-6 with 'Options'. And replacing 'Variable' in lines 7-14 with 'Option'. That's how I found the code to look like in an older version of the program.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

sudo apt-get install fceu gfceu

works for me in 9.10, but how do i do keyboard and gamepad maping?

i tryed:

"gfcue gamepad mapper" but the dialog box just flys through the "wrong" keys?? my "gamepad1" is a usb gen joy-pad

ps i'm running it from mythgames with this command, so i don't really need gfceu as mythtv is my fecu gui

fceu -fs 1 -sound 1 -input 1 -xres 1024 -yres 768 -soundvol 25 %s

UPDATE:

got it fixed, edit the fceu.cfg file and make all the gamespad values 0, then re-run the gfceu gamespad setup.
    Last edited by bgiannes; January 29th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by hellocatfood View Post
    I've installed to Ubuntu 9.10 using the instructions on your website and I get choppy sound. Is there any way to fix this? I tried changing the Buffer size and Sample rate but it had little effect
    I actually installed this because the ubuntu-included fceu and gfceu had choppy sound, which I determined was caused somehow by pulseaudio (on 9.10) even when I used the commands that force things to pulseaudio. Having gotten some success in wine by directing things to esd, I tried to get esddsp to work but that gave no joy.

I found that if I launched gfceux as

esddsp gfceux

the sound was perfect.

What's funny about this is that on 9.10 the esd apparently has a wrapper to pulseaudio. nevertheless this works, so you should try it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

By the way, in 9.10 with 2.1.2 of gfceux I still have the mouse cursor bug. It is not stuck in the middle of the screen; I can move it, but it does not get hidden .

Still, so far this is the only emulator I have gotten to work right, so props!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hey there,

I have a weird experience opening the program - unless I open up the gfceux python script from thunar (I'm running xubuntu 9.04), I can't open it up. I can't open it from applications->games->FCEUX NES Emulator or using the alt+f2 run program tool.

The program runs fine for me, just the way I'm forced to open it is a little strange in my mind. Any ideas?

EDIT: it will open up the terminal if i type in 'python gfceux' (minus quotes).
    Last edited by Redmage913; February 18th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast