Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the term for this event...?

Beans

What is the term for this event...?

What is the term that describes the point that technology had to reach before it could start making significant advances? I have had difficulty finding it.

I know it isn't Moore's Law, and while the "Law of Accelerating Returns" might be related, that doesn't seem to describe a specific point in time.

Also, this is very loosely related, but with Moore's Law as well as the "Law of Accelerating Returns" do you think the technological singularity will ever be attained? I believe technological singularity is the point where a created artificial intelligence is intelligent enough to correct errors, make changes, etc. to the point where it will continually evolve itself. How do you think that fits in with (currently) science fiction stories of machines/computers reaching a point where they will either compete with humanity or destroy them? Do you think it is possible?

If you think it is possible, how probable do you think it is? I would like to, from wishful thinking, believe that it isn't possible, or if it is that it is very un-probable. However, wishful thinking isn't always accurate. On a side note, isn't it remarkable that humanity hasn't destroyed itself by now, especially with the introduction of nuclear weapons?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is the term for this event...?

Quote Originally Posted by billdotson View Post
    What is the term that describes the point that technology had to reach before it could start making significant advances? I have had difficulty finding it.

I know it isn't Moore's Law, and while the "Law of Accelerating Returns" might be related, that doesn't seem to describe a specific point in time.

Also, this is very loosely related, but with Moore's Law as well as the "Law of Accelerating Returns" do you think the technological singularity will ever be attained? I believe technological singularity is the point where a created artificial intelligence is intelligent enough to correct errors, make changes, etc. to the point where it will continually evolve itself. How do you think that fits in with (currently) science fiction stories of machines/computers reaching a point where they will either compete with humanity or destroy them? Do you think it is possible?

If you think it is possible, how probable do you think it is? I would like to, from wishful thinking, believe that it isn't possible, or if it is that it is very un-probable. However, wishful thinking isn't always accurate. On a side note, isn't it remarkable that humanity hasn't destroyed itself by now, especially with the introduction of nuclear weapons?

Threshold?

Beans

Technological singularity doesn't describe it?
    Last edited by saulgoode; November 5th, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
    "We visited sixty-six islands and landed eighty-one times, wading, swimming (to shore). Most of the people were friendly and delightful; only two arrows shot at us, and only one went near -- So much for savages!" - J.C. Patterson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Computers will only do what they will be programed to do. So if you dont program any computer to replicate it self and try to preserve it's kind by all means... you probably will not have any troubles. Even if you make very advanced AI it will not fear death, unless we or it will program it to do it.

I think we need.. wait.. I şink we need to beta test AI for a long time before using it. But it should be ok as long as it is well programmed.

Beans

I think its called the beep beep, blink blink, boop boop, tikka tikka effect
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Hidden!

Critical mass
    Threshold (+1)
    Point of no return
    self sustaining level

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Tipping point.
    Crossing the chasm.

Beans
    Hidden!

If the Singularity is ever achieved, humanity will be screwed, because it will be notoriously buggy. (Oops. Lunch? Thought you said launch...)

I don't think it's possible. Maybe with evolutionary algorithms, you could build something to modify itself, but how would a computer be able to tell that one version is any "better" than another? It takes a human to make these kinds of decisions.

Beans

Sorry, the original question was not affiliated with singularity.

Singularity was something pretty much unrelated. The question was what term do you use to describe the point in history where technology reached the point where it could begin to grow very quickly. To illustrate the idea I am talking about, for thousands of years humans basically were farmers. Industrial revolution happened, that changed some. Then computers came along, and at a certain point technology reached the point where it has advanced far enough that it could begin to grow at a seemingly exponential rate.

I believe technological singularity describes a point in time where technology gets to a point where it can improve at a seemingly infinite rate without humans interfering, i.e. artificial intelligence that will improve upon itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

rubicon? (point of no return!)
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast