Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless USB instability

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Wireless USB instability

This has been an ongoing problem, and is the only thing preventing Ubuntu from being the only OS I need... I am sorry if this is a long post but it something that I really want an explanation for

I am currently using a D-Link wireless USB adapter (DWL-G132). It is working with the help of the ndiswrapper module. There are only 2 main problems with it:

1. The internet cuts out whenever trying to load certain websites or while downloading files (especially from torrents). The only thing I can find related to all of those is that it is a bandwidth problem. My windows installation on the same computer works perfectly fine and I have never had this problem once, so I know its not the adapter or the router.

2. I understand that ndiswrapper relies on the usb-core module, which I believe is the cause of this problem. Whenever plugged in usb devices are ejected and then unplugged, I lose all internet usage. The adapter is still blinking indicating it is working, and NetworkManager shows signal strength. But the internet is completely cut out.

I have tried to do temporary fixes to the problem, such as removing the ndiswrapper module and then modprobing it, though the success rate of that is only about 10%.

All I want to know is why is this happening? Is this something that I can possibly fix, or do I have to live with it? On days where I use the computer for internet intensive activity, I end up restarting 3 or 4 times to regain internet connectivity. Is this an ndiswrapper issue? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance
    Pentium 4 HT @ 2.79 Ghz | 2 GB RAM | 256 MB Nvidia Geforce 6200 | Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron | Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 | Rhythmbox | Wine 1.0 | Mozilla Firefox 3 | Eclipse SDK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Wireless USB instability

bump
    Pentium 4 HT @ 2.79 Ghz | 2 GB RAM | 256 MB Nvidia Geforce 6200 | Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron | Compiz Fusion 0.7.6 | Rhythmbox | Wine 1.0 | Mozilla Firefox 3 | Eclipse SDK

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

bump

Beans

Sorry I can't really help but it looks similar to the problem I am having described in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6109573.

What problems are you referring to with usb-core? I'll update you if I find anything relevant. Please can you do the same for me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark224 View Post
    Sorry I can't really help but it looks similar to the problem I am having described in this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6109573.

What problems are you referring to with usb-core? I'll update you if I find anything relevant. Please can you do the same for me?
    My problem is similar... although my other apps do work when usb devices are plugged and unplugged, and the issue dealing with bandwidth is still an issue. Actually the bandwidth issue I described above is more annoying because that's the primary internet dropper.

Anyway I know it deals with usb-core because the ndiswrapper relies on it, and if I'm correct usb devices being plugged and unplugged also rely on it. This dependency I believe is the reason for the internet cutting out, since the wireless usb and usb devices are connected through that usb-core module.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Arg still can't find anything else about this and I'm still searching...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

It seems likely that your ISP is throttling your traffic or blocking certain websites especially if you're, like me, in the UK.

I've been having terrible trouble with Pipex lately and they don't seem to want to know.

How long has this been happening? Has it ever worked perfectly before?

My DWL-G122 works out of the box, I don't see why the DWL-G132 shouldn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by CLomax View Post
    It seems likely that your ISP is throttling your traffic or blocking certain websites especially if you're, like me, in the UK.

I've been having terrible trouble with Pipex lately and they don't seem to want to know.

How long has this been happening? Has it ever worked perfectly before?

My DWL-G122 works out of the box, I don't see why the DWL-G132 shouldn't.
    Here's all I know: the usb adapter worked perfectly only in windows, and I'm using the exact same windows drivers through the ndiswrapper module. This has been a problem since I first installed feisty a while back.

I also found some useful information regarding my card. Apparently it works with the atheros driver AR5005UG. I'm not exactly sure what this means, because the adapter didn't work at all "out of the box", is there a way I can stop using ndiswrapper and try this atheros driver?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Onay View Post
    Here's all I know: the usb adapter worked perfectly only in windows, and I'm using the exact same windows drivers through the ndiswrapper module. This has been a problem since I first installed feisty a while back.

I also found some useful information regarding my card. Apparently it works with the atheros driver AR5005UG. I'm not exactly sure what this means, because the adapter didn't work at all "out of the box", is there a way I can stop using ndiswrapper and try this atheros driver?
    I think it means you can use a Madwifi driver with it. It's worth a shot if it has been troubling you that long. Apparently the very page the driver was on closed down none too recently and I couldn't find any more information and googling the problem only churns out people who are having problems installing the driver.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast