Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] rEFIt and Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

[SOLVED] rEFIt and Ubuntu 8.10

I singlebooted Ubuntu 8.04 on my Macbook 2,1 for a while and now I suppose I am going over to the dark side and dual booting.

I have a fresh install of OS X 10.4.10 on a 20GB partition and I have the remaining 90 GB as free space.

I tried to follow the community docs method for dual booting and downloaded and installed rEFIt, then installed Ubuntu on my free partition and selected GRUB to be installed on /dev/sda. However, when I rebooted my Mac hung and all I got was a blinking folder with a question mark inside. I have read some posts about somehow syncing the partition tables, but I couldn't even get to a menu after installing Ubuntu. So, I wiped everything and my current setup is as follows:

20GB Mac OS X (what I'm running right now)
    96GB Free space

How should I install things in order to dual boot correctly? Linux is all that I know, so if it involves messing around with OS X, I might need some additional help.

Thanks in advance!
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Registered Linux User # 449355 / Registered Ubuntu User # 16921

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: rEFIt and Ubuntu 8.10

I fear that the partition syncing issue has gotten worse with Intrepid. I experienced this as well on my reinstall, but it was a result of me completely clearing my MBR. I think that the installer is clearing EVERYTHING and the Mac actually expects there to be something, maybe just an empty table...

Maybe the grub install is causing the problem. Try installing it to the root partition rather than the MBR. You also might be able to sync the partition tables by installing rEFIt to a USB drive and booting that, or booting the Ubuntu LiveCD and installing the gptsync tool.

Beans
    Distro

I burned a refit rescue cd, would that do the same job as installing it to a usb drive? I'll try installing Ubuntu and putting GRUB on the root partition. Would that be a safer way to try this out? I'd like to not have to wipe everything and reinstall. Do I have everything I need to at least keep OS X booting on here? I have the OS X discs, Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD, and a refit rescue disc.
    Macbook 2,1 2.16 Core 2 Duo / 2Gb Ram / 120Gb HDD: Ubuntu Studio 9.04 64 Bit/ Mac OS X 10.4.11

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Rog-Mahal View Post
    I burned a refit rescue cd, would that do the same job as installing it to a usb drive?
    I think so... I have never used it so I really don't know.

I'll try installing Ubuntu and putting GRUB on the root partition. Would that be a safer way to try this out?
    Not safer. Not un-safer. Just an idea. I think that installing it to the MBR may be causing the issue.

I'd like to not have to wipe everything and reinstall. Do I have everything I need to at least keep OS X booting on here? I have the OS X discs, Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD, and a refit rescue disc.
    Try the rEFIt disc first.

After that I would try to use the Ubuntu LiveCD and the gptsync tool (and maybe reinstall grub manually)

If that doesn't work, maybe you can repair OS X at least with the install disc.

Beans
    Distro

Solved! I installed leaving GRUB where it normally was, then used the refit CD to sync the gpt and mbr and it worked like a charm!

Thanks for your help cyberdork!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Same experience here, the flashing folder. Except I used a usb stick with grub.efi and ran gptsync from ubuntu to do the trick. Phew.

Beans

Solved! I installed leaving GRUB where it normally was, then used the refit CD to sync the gpt and mbr and it worked like a charm!

Thanks for your help cyberdork!
    I had to do exactly the same to recover from an unbootable system after installing Intrepid. Sure hope the installer gets fixed on the next cycle.
    Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

This problem is exactly caused by Grub. I tried to install Kubuntu and got a blinking folder with a question mark in it. Then I fixed this problem by reformating the ext3 partition to a HFS+ partition. But installing Kubuntu without Grub will not cause this problem.
    Last edited by jimhu; November 6th, 2008 at 03:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jimhu View Post
    This problem is exactly caused by Grub. I tried to install Kubuntu and got a blinking folder with a question mark in it. Then I fixed this problem by reformating the ext3 partition to a HFS+ partition. But installing Kubuntu without Grub will not cause this problem.
    Interesting. I will link to this post in the bug report, and add grub to the packages.

Beans

Cool Re: [SOLVED] rEFIt and Ubuntu 8.10

Hi guys,
    I'm fighting here with dual-boot config too... Just to be sure..

Correct if I am wrong:

1. Install Leopard/Tiger/whatever...
    2. Create a bootcamp partition...
    3. install ubuntu deleting the bootcamp partition and crating a new one with anothe for swap...
    4. Grub: should it be on (hd0) ?! (all tutorials say /dev/sda3 but I get a blinking "_" instead of GRUB menu)..
    5. recover refit with the refit rescue disk (?)

is it right?
    any tips for a similar triple boot? (the problem seems to be on Grub in both cases...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast