Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem running Windows in Virtualbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Exclamation Problem running Windows in Virtualbox

Hello, I have a problem with virtualbox. Everytime I try to install the bootable windows xp iso file in virtualbox it gets stuck for a while in copying files. Yesterday, I left the virtualbox running to see if Windows would install but when it comes to the copying file part it never gets past 2% and then it freezes for like 5 minutes and then says aborted. Why does this happen and how do I fix this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem running Windows in Virtualbox

Quote Originally Posted by J03y View Post
    Hello, I have a problem with virtualbox. Everytime I try to install the bootable windows xp iso file in virtualbox it gets stuck for a while in copying files. Yesterday, I left the virtualbox running to see if Windows would install but when it comes to the copying file part it never gets past 2% and then it freezes for like 5 minutes and then says aborted. Why does this happen and how do I fix this problem?
    I dunno. Is your .vdi file (virtual drive) large enough? Is it fat32 or ntfs? ( rather than ext2/3?)
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebuntu user!
    Registered Linux User #386750

chown -R us base

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by handydan918 View Post
    I dunno. Is your .vdi file (virtual drive) large enough? Is it fat32 or ntfs? ( rather than ext2/3?)
    o.O, what u mean by large enough? And its fat, but I get an option to convert it to ntfs and thats what i try to do, convert it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Re: Problem running Windows in Virtualbox

o.O, what u mean by large enough? And its fat, but I get an option to convert it to ntfs and thats what i try to do, convert it.
    Did you make the virtual drive large enough. (E.G 10GB. etc..)
    When creating a new virtual drive, it asks you what you want the size of the drive to say it is to the Guest OS (Windows running on Virtual Box in this case)
    If you made it to small then you will have to delete that Virtual drive and make a new one using a decent size. 10GB is the normal default. I suggest selecting the expandable disk image option, (selected by default) so that it doesnt end up atcually using 10GB of your hard drive up front before the install and only uses whats atcually being used up by real data. (please note the fact it's expandable does'nt mean you can make it bigger later.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Exclamation Re: Problem running Windows in Virtualbox

Oh PS. Try NOT converting it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TyTiger View Post
    Did you make the virtual drive large enough. (E.G 10GB. etc..)
    When creating a dew virtual drive, it asks you what you want the size of the drive to say it is to the Guest OS (Windows running on Virtual Box in this case)
    If you made it to small then you will have to delete that Virtual drive and make a new one using a decent size. 10GB is the normal default. I suggest selecting the expandable disk image option, (selected by default) so that it doesnt end up atcually using 10GB of your hard drive up front before the install and only uses whats atcually being used up by real data. (please note the fact it's expandable does'nt mean you can make it bigger later.)
    Oh yeah, its 10gb but I marked the dynamic option.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Oh yeah, its 10gb but I marked the dynamic option.
    Interesting... Try not converting it to a different file system and leaving it as it is (fat32 in this case)

Also check you have write permissions on the disk image (diskimage.vdi) normally these are saved under your home directory
    /home/you/.virutalbox/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Smile Re: Problem running Windows in Virtualbox

Some tips that might help.

The virtual disks for virtualbox are located in the /home/user/.virtualbox

Once you do get your virtual machine installed you can take the .virtualbox folder and copy it out for safe keeping. This method also allows you to copy the virtual machines from one PC to another. Build it once and spread it around.

Are you running OSE or via the website and installing the .deb? http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
    Last edited by linux6994; November 4th, 2008 at 04:06 PM.
    Mint 14 | 64bit | DT ACER VN281G | Intel® Atom™ CPU D425 @ 1.80GHz × 2 | Registered Linux User#458200

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TyTiger View Post
    Interesting... Try not converting it to a different file system and leaving it as it is (fat32 in this case)

Also check you have write permissions on the disk image (diskimage.vdi) normally these are saved under your home directory
    /home/you/.virutalbox/
    But this problem happens in both file systems, even in the quick alternative.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by linux6994 View Post
    Some tips that might help.

The virtual disks for virtualbox are located in the /home/user/.virtualbox

Once you do get your virtual machine installed you can take the .virtualbox folder and copy it out for safe keeping. This method also allows you to copy the virtual machines from one PC to another. Build it once and spread it around.

Are you running OSE or via the website and installing the .deb? http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
    I downloaded from that same website. I have Ubuntu Gutsy. I'm planning on installing hardy, but I need to burn the iso file ina cd with a good cd rom driver. Mine doesn't work. =P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast