Okay so I am fairly new to linux, I played with a couple distros years ago, but never actually used it as my primary OS. I hate windows 7 on this netbook so much that I decided to switch to ubuntu.

Now of course I am having problems with sound on the NB205. Before I actually installed it, I did get sound to work by removing alsa, and putting on OSS. The only problem I have is getting system sounds to work. I am trying to follow the instructions listed here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenSound

This is the step where I run into trouble of course

Configure ALSA Apps to Use OSS (OPTIONAL)
In general, it's better to have applications use the OSS API or a higher level sound API/library with OSS4, but if you have the libasound2-plugins package (it's pre-installed on standard Ubuntu installs), it is possible to have ALSA applications output to OSS with this workaround (the first method).
The workaround states
ALSA Emulation

• There are two main methods to achieve this:
    • libasound2's pcm-oss plugin:
      • Easiest method, but will not work with all programs. It works by making libasound use OSS via the pcm-oss plugin.
      • First, install the pcm-oss plugin. It is included in the alsa-plugins distribution.
        • Debian: install libasound2-plugins package.

• Make sure an ~/.asoundrc file exists. It should contain the lines below:

Code:
 pcm.!default
 {
   type oss
   device /dev/dsp
 }
 mixer.!default
 {
   type oss
   device /dev/dsp
 }
This is where I go okay "Okay WHAT am I supposed to do!?"

I am totally lost. If someone could help me out or guide me in some way it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bret