Thread: Update Ordeal

Beans

Update Ordeal

After learning of Intrepid, I OKed the upgrade last night. Today, as I began to use my laptop in parallel with the update, the update manager crashed. I tried to complete the update, but the update manager was still running in the background. I couldn't cut the power except by holding the button for 4 seconds.

When the computer restarted (which it did on its own), it was complaining about "Kernel panic" involving VFS and not being able to find the root fs. I killed it and restarted, and tried the first (8.10, I guess) recovery mode. It had the same complaint, so I restarted again and tried the second recovery mode. It went through a long "update manager"-esque process in the shell, where a lot of stuff failed.

When it came out of the shell, it still couldn't update. It told me to run "dpkg --configure a", but typing anything with the failed update manager still open made the terminal freeze. I closed the update manager, tried again, got an error about package "a" not being found, and started the update manager again. It's still running.

Throughout this ordeal, About Ubuntu hasn't known which Ubuntu I have. Also, my clock doesn't know anything about timezones like it did before. Finally, I got two crash report bubbles the last time I started up. (I had previously installed KDE and quit using it due to several difficulties.) The default summaries were:

* "package kmouth 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1 failed to install/upgrade: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/icons/mono/scalable/apps/kmouth.svgz', which is also in package kde-icons-mono"

* "package kttsd 4:3.5.10-0ubuntu1~hardy1 failed to install/upgrade: trying to overwrite `/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/actions/nospeak.png', which is also in package kmouth".

What can I do to correct this? Thanks!
    Bicycling is the perfect union of driver and engine.
    Code:
    union bicyclist{ struct driver driver; struct engine engine; };

wpshooter is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Update Ordeal

My solution would be to make sure you install a SEPARATE /home directory the next time you install Ubuntu and then from now on when you want to upgrade your version of Ubuntu you do a fresh install from a burned Ubuntu CD and just leave your present /home directory intact. But even at doing that I would not guarantee you that you would not have any problems after changing versions. The only way to be fairly safe of getting a good working install is to WIPE the drive clean and do a fresh install of Ubuntu from scratch.

Thanks.

Beans

But can I fix the above problems in this install?
    Code:

Beans

I have the same issue. I will let you know if I find a solution

Beans

Okay, I went to synaptic and remove kdeaccessibility (or whatever it is called)...it took out kde with it, but i believe that was kde3. I rebooted and everything was fine (rebooted to make sure kde was still working).

Beans

Precisely what problems did that fix for you, pschwarz? I ripped out every trace of KDE I could find, then restarted, and nothing improved.
    Code: