Thread: Strange BUG!Upgraded to 8.10 Intrepid - Gnome - "Places in Menu" acting very strange!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation Strange BUG!Upgraded to 8.10 Intrepid - Gnome - "Places in Menu" acting very strange!

Hi

I just upgraded from Hardy to Intrepid on 2 different laptops, all works well, just one of them is acting up!

Top left Menu corner - Applications - Places - System

in Places when I click my Home folder or any other location (pictures, documents, etc), it does not open but instead Rhythmbox application opens up!

So I uninstalled Rhythmbox and tried again,

and then Movie player opens!!!!!!!

I just wanna access my Home folder of Pictures folder

Please help, how to fix this mess?
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    DELL Inspiron 6400/1505e, 2 GB Ram, Intel CoreDuo T2500 @ 2.00GHz
    ATi X1400 (1680x1050 widescreen) 128MB, Intel 3945 PRO/Wireless, 120GB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Strange BUG!Upgraded to 8.10 Intrepid - Gnome - "Places in Menu" acting very stra

I didn't have this problem, but it sounds a little like a thread I checked earlier. Maybe it'll help?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Strange BUG!Upgraded to 8.10 Intrepid - Gnome - "Places in Menu" acting very stra

Quote Originally Posted by Halow View Post
    I didn't have this problem, but it sounds a little like a thread I checked earlier. Maybe it'll help?
    Thanks

Checking it out now
    Hardy Heron 8.04
    DELL Inspiron 6400/1505e, 2 GB Ram, Intel CoreDuo T2500 @ 2.00GHz
    ATi X1400 (1680x1050 widescreen) 128MB, Intel 3945 PRO/Wireless, 120GB

Beans

I have the same problem. When I click on Home Folder, Desktop, Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, and even 33.5GB Media, Rhythmbox opens. Frustrating problem, especially since I can't find where to edit the Places menu. The Computer, CD/DVD Creator, and other entries seem to work.

It doesn't seem to be linked to the other thread posted. That one looked like an autorun problem when a CD or other media inserted.

BTW, I am having this problem on more than one computer, although the other computer is giving the error "Failed to execute child process wxvlc (no such file or directory)". I suppose it is trying to start vlc?

Beans

OK, found the solution (worked for me).

Long Thread
    Short Thread

Solution: open Nautilus (like from Places -> Computer), then right click in any folder, properties, select the Open With tab, and from the list select Open Folder.

Apparently, the default action for folders gets changed to some other program.

Good Luck!

Beans

Thanks, your solution worked. I was going nuts.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

In my case, it kept trying to open with "gedit", which would complain with "/whatever/some/path is a directory. Please check that you typed the location correctly and try again."

Solution: open Nautilus (like from Places -> Computer), then right click in any folder, properties, select the Open With tab, and from the list select Open Folder.

Apparently, the default action for folders gets changed to some other program.
    This solution worked perfectly for me as well. Thanks.

Stéphane Charette

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Hi Guys
    Thanks for this, was driving me insane!!!
    So simple to fix!!!

Cheers
    Bob