Thread: How to break into the tech industry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to break into the tech industry

Whats the best way to break into the tech industry? I would like to get a Job to help me pay for school and a friend who admins large databases said I should look into turning my hobby(techno-trash of all stripes) into a money maker.
    Constant development is the law of life, and a man who always tries to maintain his dogmas in order to appear consistent drives himself into a false position - Mahatma Gandhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How to break into the tech industry

-Good idea with a smart business plan
    -Get venture capital (Good luck)
    -???
    -Profit

It's what I plan on doing, if my friends go along with it and help me with my plan.
    FireHOL: An amazing, powerful, linux server firewall that is easy to understand, configure, and use!

Check it out if you want a secure Ubuntu Server: sudo apt-get install firehol

Beans

I advertised in the local paper, the paper had a policy of giving new businesses an interview & photo (half page) for free. I wrote my own interview.

The weekly advertisements were in the form of a computer hints & tips column, which was half the price of the same space if it were a pure advertisement.

Do good work & word of mouth is your best advertising. I only advertised for the first 3 months of my business which ran for over 10 years. I operated out of a converted bedroom/office in my house with its own phone line & answering machine. I have never owned a mobile, I'm sure that is what others like (personally I don't like to be interrupted by a phone call).

Be careful how you charge people; private customers who are poor you be kind to, business customers you charge for all of your time.

Initially have a very competitive (low) hourly rate, as this builds your client base quicker. Put your price up a little every year (if the financial climate can support it). Many small price increases are far more palatable than big jumps.

The first year is usually the toughest.

All the best.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello if your good at Linux distro's you can check this out there is this thing about writing on the top.

Try it out maybe it would work with you.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving"