Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Firefox terribly slow after Intrepid upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Firefox terribly slow after Intrepid upgrade

I'll give that a try maybe. I'm on 32 bit. Could you explain what exactly you did to completely uninstall Firefox and flash? Will
    sudo apt-get remove firefox flashplugin-nonfree
    do it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by ipse View Post
    Don't spend your time. Just install flashplugin-nonfree (`aptitude install flashplugin-nonfree`) - it contains latest Flash plugin and seems to solve the issue. So, no more magic to get Flash working!
    So flashplugin-nonfree just gets the linux plugin from the adobe site, unpacks it, and installs it. As there is only a 32bit plugin available from Adobe for linux, this does not help those on 64bit systems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Thanks neried7, that script worked perfectly for me. Flash even seems more stable now than it was under Hardy on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Update: Adobe now has an Alpha release of Flash 10 64bit, specifically for Linux (Windows and Mac will come later). I've read good reviews so far about it, that it performs even better than 32bit, and am going to try it out myself.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/f...bit.html#known

Beans

I'm on Intrepid 32 and having the same problem sadly. I tried the suggested removal of firefox and re-install, but to no avail. At this point I'm going to have to use XP until this one gets fixed, as I just don't have it in me to work with a system running that slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

It's good to know I'm not the only 32 bit intrepid adopter stung. I personally rolled back to Hardy, and am doing just fine now, other than suffering from the time lost. My firefox works now, my Lyx and other KDE apps are working again, and I can actually use my computer. Maybe I'll try intrepid later on a different computer. Maybe.

Beans

My FF actually became unusable today as it became frozen treacle.

(Intrepid, 1GB Thinkpad T23 1.13GHz)

Previously to Intrepid it's been reasonable provided I don't go mad with the tabs. Has got progressively worse over a matter of weeks - possibly started degrading with HH.

Tried relaoding FF, tried clearing caches & history, tried having just a single tab open, tried rebooting.

Tried opening a guest session, in the hope that a clean copy with no caches or history might improve matters - but no - same terrible performance.

I downloaded Opera with FF's last breath of life.

There seems to be something odd going on in FF. Clearing the cache & history appeared to work on previous occassions - but it seems like the history doesn't clear properly - just goes back to an earlier point with some stuff remaining.

Opera is fine. The tab and page load behaviour FF *should* have.

(And right click seems to work reliably).

-------------

EDIT: Some poking about in other suggested solutions - I found deleting .mozilla/firefox/v???????.default/places.sqlite from your home directory does the trick.
    Last edited by gingerlizard; December 9th, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123