Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UNetbootin error while installing openSUSE from Ubuntu using downloaded .iso

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation UNetbootin error while installing openSUSE from Ubuntu using downloaded .iso

I'm trying to install openSUSE from Ubuntu 8.10 on another partition using UNetbootin thru downloaded openSUSE-11.1-Beta4-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso

On UNetbootin interface, in order to select the partition where I want to install openSUSE I have to select 'USB Drive' to get '/dev/sdb1'. If I select 'Hard Disk' under 'Type', I get only one option of '/' under 'Drive', and 'Show All Drives' becomes grayed out.

Provided path to downloaded openSUSE ISO under 'Diskimage' and upon hitting OK, UNetbootin generated 654 MB 'openSUSE-11.1-read-only.i686-2.7.0' file, boot folder & bunch of other files in /dev/sdb1.

Next I added two entries into Ubunu grub:

:::::
    title Option# 1: /boot/i386/loader/linux
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /boot/i386/loader/linux
    initrd /boot/i386/loader/initrd

title Option# 2: /ubnkern
    root (hd1,0)
    kernel /ubnkern
    initrd /ubninit

Rebooting with either option I get stuck at following:

Loading KIWI CD Boot-System....

Waiting for CD/DVD device(s) to appear...
    Mounting CD/DVD drive
    Couldn't find CD image configuration file
    rebootException: error consoles at ALT-F3/F4
    rebootException: reboot in 120 sec...

Many thanks, any help is greatly appreciated. - jags
    hobbyist | enthusiast
    Windows 7 | Linux Mint 11 | Registered Ubuntu User #30240

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Re: UNetbootin error while installing openSUSE from Ubuntu using downloaded .iso

hi... anyone on installing downloaded .iso thru UNetbootin, please...

Many thanks.
    hobbyist | enthusiast
    Windows 7 | Linux Mint 11 | Registered Ubuntu User #30240

Beans

Re: UNetbootin error while installing openSUSE from Ubuntu using downloaded .iso

Old thread, but did you ever figure out this problem? I'm trying to boot the OpenSUSE 11.1 LiveCD.iso with UNetbootin and I get the same error. At first thought it might be a problem with UNetbootin, but it works fine with other distros' liveCDs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: UNetbootin error while installing openSUSE from Ubuntu using downloaded .iso

I'm having the same problem. It seems like openSUSE works differently than other livecds. The initrd of the live CD is programmed to call on the cd for files.

From http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stic...penSUSE_system :
    "Other than Ubuntu- and Fedora-type systems, the initrd on SUSE-type live CDs is not directly suitable for booting from a USB stick."

Beans

I figured something. The configuration file UNetbootin sets for installing is based on the fact that you're installing from a CD/DVD drive. I somewhere in the log saw "Could not find configuration at cdrom://" or something like that.

How I solved the problem? I burnt a live CD...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello, just thought I would post the fix...

Once UNetbootin has finished writing all the files to the usb

Open the usb so that you can view all the files/folders

You are looking for two files...
    config.isoclient and config.kde.isoclient or config.gnome.isoclient the second file depends on if you are installing kde or gnome openSUSE

Delete config.isoclient

Rename config.kde.isoclient or config.gnome.isoclient depending on which one you have to config.isoclient replacing the file you deleted

Now boot from the usb device and you should get passed the error during boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by simplysimple View Post

Delete config.isoclient

Rename config.kde.isoclient or config.gnome.isoclient depending on which one you have to config.isoclient replacing the file you deleted
    THANK YOU!!! This worked perfectly

Beans

Hi I am trying to boot openSUSE from iso extracted on hard disk partition.Can you post contents of
    config.gnome.isoclient file alongwith its location.
    Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

will test it out...........

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by simplysimple View Post

Once UNetbootin has finished writing all the files to the usb

Open the usb so that you can view all the files/folders

You are looking for two files...
    config.isoclient and config.kde.isoclient or config.gnome.isoclient the second file depends on if you are installing kde or gnome openSUSE

Delete config.isoclient

Now boot from the usb device and you should get passed the error during boot.
    I'd love to know where those config.kde/gnome.isoclient files come from, I've tried doing a USB key with openSUSE-11.2-GNOME-LiveCD-i686.iso and failed. Those files aren't in the ISO as far as I can see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast