Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook (5,1) hotter in linux than in OSX

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Macbook (5,1) hotter in linux than in OSX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    I had to reinstall osx and buy vmware fusion...
    Slightly O/T, but why buy VMware Fusion when you can download VirtualBox for free? In many ways it's better than VMware, a lot more user-friendly. I run VBox on my MacBook and it runs perfectly.

On the subject of Ubuntu on the October '08 MBs, I've installed both Ubuntu 8.10 and Fedora 10 on mine and both have the same heat/battery life problem, so it's not localised to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craigwatson View Post
    slightly o/t, but why buy vmware fusion when you can download virtualbox for free? In many ways it's better than vmware, a lot more user-friendly. I run vbox on my macbook and it runs perfectly.
    +1

Beans

Not sure about posting this here or in another thread... Anyhow, battery life using the 9600M graphic card isn't much better under OSX. So, we worry too much I think.

The following is copy-pasted from [1]

In a simple "battery drain" test while paying a "ripped" DVD from the hard drive, the reliable MacWorld reported:

Using the 9600M GT graphics card, the 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro lasted 2 hours, 12 minutes, while the 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro lasted 2 hours, 18 minutes. You’ll barely be able to watch an entire movie in that amount of time. . .

Unfortunately, when using the 9400M, the battery life for either MacBook Pro model did not improve significantly. The 2.53 GHz MacBook Pro gained 17 minutes, while the 2.4 GHz MacBook Pro lasted 13 minutes longer. Interestingly, the 9400M times between the MacBook Pro models and the MacBooks are similar.

Comparing the MacBook Pro’s 9400M battery life with the previous MacBook Pro ["Core 2 Duo" 2.4 15" (Early 2008/Penryn], and the older MacBook Pro comes out ahead by 15 percent -- the older MacBook Pro's battery lasted close to 3 hours.
    If someone can (h)ac(k)tivate the 9400M chip, we would be happy Ubuntu users

I read a thread the other day about some serious attempt to activate the 9400M chip but I can't find it anymore.

Cheers, Nikos
    ---

[1] http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ifference.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philcolbourn View Post
    On my macBookPro4,1 OS-X runs at 12-13W (using system profiler Power = Voltage/1000 * I/1000) on battery with screen on lowest setting and only firefox running.

I think 13-15 is not too far off the mark.

The Battery meter says I have between 4.5 hours to go (depending on what I was doing in the last few seconds)
    I have macbook 5,1. new machines have smaller battery 'cause they can idle at lower power rate (8/9 W using osx)

Beans

anyone else have compiz roast your 5,1 ?

I cant seem to get it running smoothly

Beans

Any luck on getting the 9400 card working under Ubuntu?
    I guess I'll have to try to boot "native-efi" using grub2 to get it up and running.. which.. ruins 3d acceleration :/

Beans

Hi,

I'm considering installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my MacBook 5,1. I've read about the problem with MacBooks getting to hot in this thread and in Launchpad. In Launchpad the status of the thread has been changed to fixed as 2009-04-21.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/262550

So my question is does the MacBook 5,1 still get too hot?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Engine_number_9 View Post
    Hi,

I'm considering installing Ubuntu 9.04 on my MacBook 5,1. I've read about the problem with MacBooks getting to hot in this thread and in Launchpad. In Launchpad the status of the thread has been changed to fixed as 2009-04-21.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/262550

So my question is does the MacBook 5,1 still get too hot?
    if you want more control of the fans, you can checkout this script:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1102465

Beans

my mac isnt hot running ubuntu native anymore. but if i dare run compiz it will periodically kernel panic (or put X into a state where i cant kill X or change gettys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    anyone else have compiz roast your 5,1 ?

I cant seem to get it running smoothly
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/332549

It's a bug in the NVIDIA driver that shipped with Jaunty. You might be able to update to the latest and get rid of it. I haven't tried it yet, myself.

Page 18 of 27 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast