Thread: Clean install and only login window... desktop does not load!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Angry Clean install and only login window... desktop does not load!

Hi all,

I just did a clean install of 8.10 on an older Dell Dimension 2350. This machine is a P4 with 2GB ram and an onboard intel display adapter.

I installed from the alternate cd and it completed successfully with no issues. On reboot, I got the graphical Gnome login page, entered my username and password and then the machine just hung showing the brown background and the desktop never loaded.

No matter how long I waited the desktop never loaded and was just stuck on the brown background. The mouse still worked and I was able to move it around, but nothing happened after waiting.

Any ideas on how I can get a working install?

Beans

Re: Clean install and only login window... desktop does not load!

I am having the exact same issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

After further researching the forums, looks like this is a problem for a lot of people. I may try the removing compiz fix and see if that helps. What a bummer, as this was my first chance to impress the wife with a linux desktop and it fell flat on it's face with such basic functionality.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by moonpup View Post
    After further researching the forums, looks like this is a problem for a lot of people. I may try the removing compiz fix and see if that helps. What a bummer, as this was my first chance to impress the wife with a linux desktop and it fell flat on it's face with such basic functionality.
    thanks