Thread: Down fall from 32bit or 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Down fall from 32bit or 64bit

I am currently running 64bit 8.10 on my Pangolin Performance and I want to run things like Boxee and stream videos from ninjavideo.net

Both require a 32bit system. ninjavideo needing the Java-6 web plugin and IcedTea won't do and Boxee only available in a 32bit flavor.

My question is this, are there any downfalls with running a 32bit environment with 64bit hardware?

I used to do it on one of my desktops because the wireless card vendor didnt have a 64bit driver.

So will I see any drastic performance drops?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Down fall from 32bit or 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Machine View Post
    I am currently running 64bit 8.10 on my Pangolin Performance and I want to run things like Boxee and stream videos from ninjavideo.net

Both require a 32bit system. ninjavideo needing the Java-6 web plugin and IcedTea won't do and Boxee only available in a 32bit flavor.

My question is this, are there any downfalls with running a 32bit environment with 64bit hardware?

I used to do it on one of my desktops because the wireless card vendor didnt have a 64bit driver.

So will I see any drastic performance drops?
    you should be able to force install those apps and installing lib32 libraries. Check the forums in the x64bit section

- CH
    Linux Registered User #434330