Thread: I'm back from OpenSuse

Beans

I'm back from OpenSuse

About an hour ago I installed Ubuntu8.10, after trying OpenSUSE and finding it to be incompatible with some of my hardware. Specifically both my wired internet connection and my wireless didn't work. I have the (somewhat dreaded, as I have come to understand) Atheros AR5007EG wireless network adapter. I got it working last time, using madwifi (I think). But I heard it was supposed to work "out of the box" for 8.10. However, for some reason, my wired connection doesn't work. It did work with 8.04 so I see no reason why it would suddenly become incompatible with 8.10. I have an Acer Aspire7520-5168. So, what can I do to get my wireless connection working without a wired connection. Or if I have to get my wired connection going, how do I do that? When I plug in the cord it says it is acquiring network address, and then it tells me it is disconnected.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: I'm back from OpenSuse

Have you tried manually initiating a connection using network manager?
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by talsemgeest View Post
    Have you tried manually initiating a connection using network manager?
    How do I go about finding the relevant information?

Beans

Anyone? I'm not sure how to find, or even what information I need to manually initiate a connection.

Beans

Well for crap`s sake, all of a sudden the wired connection works. I don`t understand why it works now, but it does. Can anyone point me to where I can get the information to get my Atheros wireless working?

Beans

Read the 8.10 release notes. The module (ath5k i think?) for the drivers does not load. There is a workaround listed in the errata.

http://unsharptech.com/2008/10/31/at...intrepid-ibex/
    Last edited by igknighted; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:08 AM.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2