Thread: Problems with SB Live/emu10k1 under 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Problems with SB Live/emu10k1 under 8.10 *Solved!*

EDIT: This problem has been resolved. I recently did the following command found at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/So...ooting%20Steps

Code:
     sudo aptitude install linux-ubuntu-modules-`uname -r` linux-generic
    Amazingly this is all I needed to do, although who knows if this would have worked several weeks ago when I started having this problem. I hope this can help other people who have similar problems! Original post is as follows:

Howdy, thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

A few months ago the on-board sound card on my computer died and I installed a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 card, which I was able to get to work after a bit of tinkering and unfortunately I don't remember exactly what I did. However, while updating to 8.10 last night I accidentally clicked to replace my custom /etc/modprobe.b/alsa-base file and now my sound doesn't work.

Alsa-info is here: http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=8f...eb37e508bb48e3

Steps taken so far:

• aplay -l fails.
    • lspci -v lists my sound card
    • sudo modprobe snd-emu10k1 fails with: FATAL: Module snd_emu10k1 not found. FATAL: Error running install command for snd_emu10k1
    • Followed the "getting drivers from a fresh kernel" step on http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=205449 which produced no change
    • Followed the "alsa driver compilation" step on the same page. I used the module-assistant and it failed with the following error:

Code:
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'                  ▒
     │ /usr/bin/make -C /usr/src/linux SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver       ▒
     │ CPP="gcc -E" CC="gcc" modules                                              ▒
     │ make[3]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.25-2-386'          ▒
     │ make[3]: Makefile: No such file or directory                               ▒
     │ make[3]: *** No rule to make target `Makefile'.  Stop.                     ▒
     │ make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.25-2-386'           ▒
     │ make[2]: *** [compile] Error 2                                             ▒
     │ make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'                  ▒
     │ make[1]: *** [build-stamp] Error 2                                         ▒
     │ make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/alsa-driver'                  ▮
     │ make: *** [kdist_image] Error 2
    Anyone have any ideas? I seem to not remember having the same problem before. Thanks again,

Alex
    Last edited by gotfork; January 4th, 2009 at 04:09 AM. Reason: resolved

Beans
    Distro

Re: Problems with SB Live/emu10k1 under 8.10

Also tried the "using drivers from alsa project" step on the same guide page.

Beans
    Distro

Shameless bump =/

Edit: Also tried and failed to switch over to OSS and use that.
    Last edited by gotfork; November 4th, 2008 at 02:55 AM. Reason: add info

Beans
    Distro

Attaching logfile from uxchecker
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

3 day bump =/

Beans
    Distro

1 Week bump =/

I think I've exhausted all the possible fixes I can find on websites/this forum, and it seems like lots of other people are having similar problems with 8.10. Is this a known bug, and does it seem possible that I might be able to revert back to 8.04 until this gets fixed?

Beans
    Distro

2 week bump, and none of the updates since then seem to have made a difference. I guess I'll revert back to 8.04 this weekend...

Beans
    Distro

Solved without reverting, see first post!