Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LAMP server, Dynamic IP, and domain

Beans

Re: LAMP server, Dynamic IP, and domain

So I managed to change route all entries through port 80 to my server, and on the DNS Configuration I set "public" IP i got from whatismyip.com. Still, however, everyone I have asked outside my LAN insist that neither www.supersoccershop.net or www.supersoccershop.net/drupal5 work.

Why is it still LAN only when I already even changed the routing?

Beans

Last edited by dachapa; November 3rd, 2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Double Post

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm able to connect to the server on port 80, and i get a redirect to /drupal5, but i'm not getting anything on the /drupal5 site. I think this may be why:

james@poseidon [~] $ host www.supersoccershop.net
    www.supersoccershop.net has address 24.174.250.216

james@poseidon [~] $ host supersoccershop.net
    supersoccershop.net has address 69.26.178.163

I'd suggest using a dynamic dns client (dyndns.org) and then use CNAME records to point your domain name and www.domain.net to the dyndns hostname. that way there's no chance of that kind of mismatch.

edit: the reason i suggest dyndns.org is because I know for sure that they work with ddclient, which is an awesome package for home servers like yours. Make sure you reconfigure it -- the default line uses "use=eth0" which gets the local ip (192.168.x.x) -- the correct line for your config would be something like:
    Code:
    use=web, web=checkip.dyndns.org/, web-skip=’IP Address’
    Last edited by CrucifiedEgo; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks like supersoccershop.net and www.supersoccershop.net are pointed at two different IPs with supersoccershop.net with a redirect and www.supersoccershop.net doesn't connect.

Just to eliminate the obvious...

In the router you say you've configured port 80 to forward to 192.168.0.105.

From a machine on that LAN, can you telnet to port 80 on 192.168.0.105.

If the site works internally and it's pointing to the right IP from external sources, it's gotta be something simple. With Ubuntu, one thing you have to watch out for when you change from dynamic to static IPs is that you stop the dhcp client. Otherwise, it will continue to change the IP on you.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Have you checked with your ISP to see if they block port 80? A quick search on Road Runner suggests they do (or did).

You could try changing the port to a different number to see if this is the case.

Mathew
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans

CrucifiedEgo, that mismatch should be cleared already. I did it with sitelutions though, however I do not understand what you mean by "use=eth0".

Quote Originally Posted by y@w View Post
    Looks like supersoccershop.net and www.supersoccershop.net are pointed at two different IPs with supersoccershop.net with a redirect and www.supersoccershop.net doesn't connect.

Just to eliminate the obvious...

In the router you say you've configured port 80 to forward to 192.168.0.105.

From a machine on that LAN, can you telnet to port 80 on 192.168.0.105.

If the site works internally and it's pointing to the right IP from external sources, it's gotta be something simple. With Ubuntu, one thing you have to watch out for when you change from dynamic to static IPs is that you stop the dhcp client. Otherwise, it will continue to change the IP on you.
    I used telnet on my other computer to port 80, and was able to connect just fine.

MJN, I tried opening other ports or routing them to the server, such as port 82, and 81, but it seems if failed. Plus I was not able to telnet those (or that has nothing to do with this?)

Beans
    Distro

The port is definitely open and working (i get the redirect mentioned earlier) so it appears that the problem is with drupal. maybe try a static page there just to verify? if so, then you've got it narrowed down to drupal, and you can try their support forums (or if there are any drupal experts in here, they can speak to it).

Beans

I created: http://supersoccershop.net/drupal5/?q=about As a static page, and my friends tell me they can't access it.

Is there a file I have to edit on my server? I seriously see myself running out of options.

Beans
    Distro

The problem is, that's still a drupal page, even if it's "static" Try creating just a basic html page that's not in drupal,and go from there. Also, try creating a phpinfo page to make sure that php works on your server. just put the following code in a file:
    Code:
    <?php
    phpinfo();
    ?>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by CrucifiedEgo View Post
    The port is definitely open and working (i get the redirect mentioned earlier) so it appears that the problem is with drupal. maybe try a static page there just to verify? if so, then you've got it narrowed down to drupal, and you can try their support forums (or if there are any drupal experts in here, they can speak to it).
    No, the port's not listening. The old IP (the one where the redirect exists) did work. However, the destination of the redirect (24.172.250.216) is not connecting on port 80. It sounds like you are setup correctly though. I'd call your ISP and find out if they are blocking incoming connections to port 80. It appears the IP is owned by Roadrunner who has been known to block incoming connections on port 80 in the past.

Code:
    telnet www.supersoccershop.net 80
    Trying 24.174.250.216...
    telnet: connect to address 24.174.250.216: Operation timed out
    telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12