Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAMP server, Dynamic IP, and domain

Beans

LAMP server, Dynamic IP, and domain

Alright, I'm posting this question as an act desperation. I have tried following some of the examples previously posted, but I just can't seem to get my website up.

For starters, let's assume my server's IP is: 192.168.1.101 (it's dynamic)
    My domain: mydomain.net (bought from iDotz.net)
    And I have an account with Sitelutions

What I did with Sitelutions is that I created a host www.mydomain.net to redirect to my IP (192.168.1.101). Then on iDotz control panel for my domain, the Name Servers are nsx.sitelutions.com (where X = #1-5). After this, I am able to visit my website with www.mydomain.net and it takes me to the screen showing "It works!" then I try www.mydomain.net/drupal5 and it shows me the Drupal login site.

I figure that's all good and all since I have not built my site just yet BUT no one else outside my LAN can see what I see. Why is this? Help VERY MUCH appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: LAMP server, Dynamic IP, and domain

Your server's IP address is what's known as a 'private' address and hence is not directly accessible over the Internet (by virtue of the Internet not routing such addresses).

Hence, in order for Internet users to access your site they need to be given the 'public' address - this will typically be the address that your ISP gives you and, specifically, is assigned to the Internet-connected WAN port of your router (which I am assuming is what you have).

Browse to something like http://whatismyip.com and it will usually be able to tell you what your 'public' address is. This is the address that you must put into the DNS configuration for your domain.

In addition to the above you will also need to set up 'port forwarding' of port 80 on your router to your server. This tells your router to send all HTTP traffic arriving at port 80 from the Internet to your server.

Having done all this you may well find you no longer have access to your website from your LAN, whereas everyone else on the Internet can. If this happens post back and we can sort that little 'gotcha' out.

Incidentally, you would probably do well to make your server address dynamic unless you can be sure your router will dish out the same address each time (many can be configured to do so by reserving it for your server's particular MAC address). Not doing this will likely mean having to reconfigure your port forwarding should the server IP ever change.

Mathew
    Last edited by MJN; November 2nd, 2008 at 06:54 PM.
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

beat me to it!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MJN View Post
    Your server's IP address is what's known as a 'private' address and hence is not directly accessible over the Internet (by virtue of the Internet not routing such addresses).

Hence, in order for Internet users to access your site they need to be given the 'public' address - this will typically be the address that your ISP gives you and, specifically, is assigned to the Internet-connected WAN port of your router (which I am assuming is what you have).

Browse to something like http://whatismyip.com and it will usually be able to tell you what your 'public' address is. This is the address that you must put into the DNS configuration for your domain.

In addition to the above you will also need to set up 'port forwarding' of port 80 on your router to your server. This tells your router to send all HTTP traffic arriving at port 80 from the Internet to your server.

Having done all this you may well find you no longer have access to your website from your LAN, whereas everyone else on the Internet can. If this happens post back and we can sort that little 'gotcha' out.

Incidentally, you would probably do well to make your server address dynamic unless you can be sure your router will dish out the same address each time (many can be configured to do so by reserving it for your server's particular MAC address). Not doing this will likely mean having to reconfigure your port forwarding should the server IP ever change.

Mathew
    Ok, sounds good. After accessing whatismyip.com and typing that into my sitelutions DNS Wizard, I tried going into my website, and it took me to my Router's configuration page. Am I in the right step? I think I opened my Router's port 80, but I'm not sure if I did it right. (I'm using a Linksys Wireless-B router)
    Last edited by dachapa; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dachapa View Post
    Ok, sounds good. As noob as this sounds though, when I access whatismyip.com will it give me the IP address of the computer I'm currenly using? Or do I have to visit the site from my server? If it's the latter, how does one get to browsing pages on a server? Thanks for the help.
    You would have to do it from the server (well, if your server is connected to the same router, the ip is likely the same, hence the "port forwarding" needed).

Log on to server, type

wget http://whatismyip.com/automation/n09230945.asp

And look at the file created.
    Last edited by bep; November 2nd, 2008 at 10:20 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bep View Post
    You would have to do it from the server (well, if your server is connected to the same router, the ip is likely the same, hence the "port forwarding" needed).

Log on to server, type

wget http://whatismyip.com/automation/n09230945.asp

And look at the file created.
    Right, it's the same router, so the IP is the same. I typed that IP into the DNS wizard, and my site would take me to my router's configuration page. I configured /etc/network/interfases to get up my eth1 to become static, and set the address 192.168.1.105 On my router's configuration page, I went to Applications and Gaming, and on Port Routing I typed Server, posts ranging from 79 81 to IP 192.168.1.105. I visit my site, and now it goes back to It Works. However, I believe it's still LAN-only. I don't know what to do anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by dachapa View Post
    However, I believe it's still LAN-only. I don't know what to do anymore.
    If you tell us your domain name we'll be able to help. If not, you're on your own.

Mathew
    www.NewtonNet.co.uk - Now supporting IPv6!

~ Please don't use PM's to request assistance - post your query on the forum and share the discussion - if you've got a problem chances are you won't be the only one! ~

Beans

My domain name is supersoccershop.net go it from iDotz.net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It doesn't appear to be working. The IP I'm getting from a dig is: 24.174.250.216. Is that still your IP?

Beans

Yes, that's my IP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast