Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing "application/x-font-ttf"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Missing "application/x-font-ttf"

Quote Originally Posted by lsd View Post
    I understend you perfectly, I'm designer too. I use to work with Mac at job, but I don't really like it, Finder neither does thumbnails. Gnome (or Thunar/XFCE installing gnome-control-center) was perfect!

Please, is there any Ubuntu or Gnome developer reading this?!
    You should know that Gnome people are known for this kind of blunders - removing useful features, marking them obsolete or 'deprecated', making stupid, yet stubborn and spiteful design decisions etc. This is one of them, an historically stupid decision to remove something actually useful. And I don't care about some underlying technical reasons in the vein of bad code, or lack of HIG compliance, or we'll-have-something-much-better-in-three-releases-time explanations...
    "We have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language."
    Oscar Wilde

Beans

I found one solution!
    Install fontypython, AMAZING PROGRAM!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Exclamation Re: Missing "application/x-font-ttf"

I installed the gnome-specimen package, however nothing happened. This feature was one of the main deciding factors in my switch to and usage of Ubuntu/Gnome and I, being a commercial graphic designer, would lose alot of functional usage if it were not re-implemented.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i have over 300 font files... some i install and some i don't... depends on what programs i have... still. i would like to not install them just to see them, i have to turn on my desktop just to preview them... it's a serious bother to do this, specially when i have to take them with me and use them in some graphics(like some logos or something). BRING gnome-font-viewer/other BACK, PLEASE!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Fully agree, Stargazer989. I have a compiled CD with more than 4000 fonts, some of them are japanese ones (impossible to preview with Specimen, FontyPython or anything else).

Everybody's asking for that, misters. You should reconsider recompiling those lines of code to avoid Gnome/XFCE lovers using KDE. I've tested the new KDE 4.2 desktop on Ubuntu and has this feature, but you need to install EVERYTHING (the core of KDE) to enable it in Dolphin file manager. It's about 240 mb installation.

I'm thinking that some coders don't listen what people really needs, like this font preview feature, the global menu on desktop, etc. Wasn't Linux a collaborative and free software where everybody can submit his own oppinion and it should be considered? Or not?
    Last edited by lsd; January 11th, 2009 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by lsd View Post

I'm thinking that some coders don't listen what people really needs, like this font preview feature, the global menu on desktop, etc. Wasn't Linux a collaborative and free software where everybody can submit his own oppinion and it should be considered? Or not?
    I think you are been a bit harsh with the core programmers of Gnome. If you think this (or any) of the improvements should be there, you could send an email to the gnome list programmers, or even you could post it as a bug/enhance in the gnome issue tracker.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you, but there sure are more important things than a font previewer.

Bye

Beans
    Distro

Missunderstood!

I'm so sorry if I was too hard. I know that coders do their best, and sometimes they can't go ahead with their projects for any reason (long time ago I used to code in the DOS years) so, don't missunderstand my words, I'm not angry with the Gnome Project or any other. I only wanted to say that in Intrepid was lost an important feature, but now I know it's back (more or less) in Jaunty (alpha 3 tested), so everything's allright (I hope, because alpha 3 doesn't thumbnail well yet).

To all coders and people around Ubuntu, my message is: GO AHEAD!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was missing the font thumbnail previews also.

I tried FontMatrix, FontyPython, Specimen, and Waterfall, but none of them seemed to be able to launch a simple preview window when double-clicking the font file within Nautilus.

But today I discovered that Gwenview (KDE4 version) is able to give a preview from double-click! For newbies like me, here are the steps:

1. Open terminal, and type: sudo apt-get install gwenview

2. Open a font folder, right-click the Font file and choose Properties.

3. Choose "Open With" tab, and select Gwenview. If it is not showing in the list, click "Add" and choose it from the list of applications. If it is not there, click the "Use custom command" text and type gwenview into the command field. Then click "Add".

So that's at least a work-around until the thumbnail preview gets put back into Gnome.

Beans
    Distro

Nautilus still buggy in Ubuntu Alpha 4. But he tries! (need killing task "gnome-font-thumbnailer" due to CPU level overload).

The solution is Jaunty Jackalope!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Lightbulb Re: Missing "application/x-font-ttf"

Hi!

I encountered with the same problem and found a solution. It's originally in Russian, so here is a translation.

1. Go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/gnome-control-center and download GNOME Control Center 2.22 for Hardy.

2. Open downloaded DEB file just as a simple archive in File Roller, go to data.tar.gz./usr/bin and extract two binaries:
    'gnome-font-viewer' (for viewing a font by a double click)
    'gnome-thumbnail-font' (for generating thumbnails in Nautilus)

3. Copy the files to a proper place:
    cd /a_place_where_you_extracted_the_files
    sudo cp ./gnome-font-viewer ./gnome-thumbnail-font /usr/bin

4. Nautilus > right-click on a font file > Open with > Add > gnome-font-viewer > OK

See also about this bug in Launchpad: https://bugs.launchpad.net/gnome-con...er/+bug/269920
    Last edited by Saisombun; February 23rd, 2009 at 09:46 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast