Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Upgrade broke suspend on dv6700

Beans

Re: Upgrade broke suspend on dv6700

I discovered yesterday that my laptop actually does wake up from suspend, it just takes a very long time. I haven't had any time to investigate this yet, but I will look into it.

On resume I get the following:
    - The fan start
    - The power light and the multimedia keys goes on
    - The HD light goes on for a split second
    - Then a long wait (several minutes)
    - The computer doesn't react to anything (neither CTRL+ALT+DEL, CTRL+ALT+INS)
    - I then get a garbled screen..
    - After moving the mouse or pressing keys, it resumes normally

I did try to press several keys when the computer was in its frozen state. I also switched off and on the wifi button. I don't know if this helps, or if its just a matter of waiting.

I have only had it wake up once, so I don't know yet if it is consistent behavior. I will let you know when I have time to debug a bit more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Interesting, dsmex, I'll confirm as soon as I can. It should be easier to debug now too, as we don't have to go to a bunch of way-to-complicated steps to get dmesg to save its output long enough for us to reboot and check it.

[EDIT]I had the same initial result, with colors and gradients changing every 2 seconds, but it continued for another 30 minutes before I decided that it wasn't getting anywhere. The kernel was definitely alive, because the Caps Lock and Num Lock lights responded, but the wireless one didn't, and I don't really know what that means.[\EDIT]
    Last edited by CalderCoalson; November 5th, 2008 at 09:29 PM.

Beans

I tried a few more times...

It seems to be a more or less fixed delay of 3 minutes.

I have changed some settings in the acpi-support file. I have no idea if the changes I have done affect anything, but I have attached my current file.

I also installed todays updates, but it didn't seem to affect suspend/resume.

I would appreciate any help on debugging the suspend/resume issue. Which log files to check, what to look for etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I did one more test... but now I seriously need to work

I suspended, then pressed the power button to resume and waited.
    Without touching any key... the same thing happens. It seems dead for just under 3 minutes and then magically comes back to life. Everything seems to be working. The wi-fi reconnects itself automatically without any problem.

So, the problem seems to be that I have a 3 minute resume, which used to be about 5 secs on kubuntu 7.10.

I have attached my syslog from the moment I moment I suspend until everything is up and running again.

I would be very happy if some knowledgeable person would have a look at it.

Please let me know if more information is needed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: Upgrade broke suspend on dv6700

You might have the same bug that I have.

If you have a single running the 64bit version of Ubuntu and it reboots when you resume.
    you might want to follow this bug
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ta/+bug/292515

Beans
    Distro

Do you know if that is that a confirmed AMD specific issue, homerhomer?

Beans
    Distro

*bump*
    Although there aren't that many of us experiencing this, it's a debilitating bug and would be immensely discouraging to someone trying Ubuntu for the first time on a similar model.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm having similar issues to the suspend/hibernate issues explain in this thread. I have a compaq Presario F700 (AMD 64, 2 gig ram, NVidia video). From what I have seen it appears to be an ACPI issue, but haven't really had enough time to play around with different options yet. Hopefully I will have time early next week. Has anybody tried SSHing into the machine that won't wake up, see if it's actually still down or maybe video just isn't waking up correctly??

-=Ljoslin=-

I think I have sort of confirmed it's a ACPI issue. I have been playing with acpi-support and getting different responses. I have even gotten it to "Hibernate" but it thought it was rebooting?! however it did save everything.
    Last edited by ljoslin; November 8th, 2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Unclear

Beans

Hello there,
    I'm experiencing the same problem - on my HP dv6840ew (amd64, nvidia graphics, broadcom wifi) hibernate and suspend were working perfectly in Xubuntu Hardy, but in Intrepid suspend is broken.

It's just like described here - laptop will suspend, with a power led blinking, but it won't resume correctly. I haven't tried waiting more than 10 minutes, so I don't know if it'll eventually resume, but I'll check it.

Hibernate works, but not as good as in Hardy - resuming from hibernation takes now more time than rebooting.

I'm also getting boot lag, and pressing a key helps too. I have yet to check whether the solution mentioned by dsmex works.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ljoslin View Post
    Has anybody tried SSHing into the machine that won't wake up, see if it's actually still down or maybe video just isn't waking up correctly??
    The CapsLock and NumLock lights don't change, meaning the kernel, (and therefore SSH) is not alive.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast