Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: upgrade NVIDA

Beans

Re: upgrade NVIDA

I just ran into the same problem while attempting to upgrade from Ubuntu Studio 8.04 to 8.10. Oh well, I'm perfectly happy with 8.04, and I need 3D support, so I guess I'll just hold off on upgrading until updated drivers are available. I wish I'd come here before downloading and burning the 8.10 ISO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by PmDematagoda;
    What is your VGA card?
    [CODE
    cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log[/CODE]
    NV25 [GeForce4 Ti 4600]

upgrading to 8.1 - would it be any different graphically to 8.04 if I use whatever it is that I have installed now ?
    (I also read that open-office 3 never made ir into 8.10, is this true?
    (are all wireless (broadcom B43 issues sorted in 8.10, casue it was a real real real pain in 8.04)
    sony VAIO RZ221, 1Gb, GeForce Ti4600
    UBUNTU 9.10 - (dual boot as it not perfect yet)
    6th - 8 points

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

They have released a beta driver for the GeForce4, that is supposed to work with the x server in 8.10... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122139

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky Dunk View Post
    They have released a beta driver for the GeForce4, that is supposed to work with the x server in 8.10... http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122139
    so not being totally au fait with this sort of thing, what do i do with it

I assume I need to do more that just ley >system >admin >upgrade manager and let it do an 8.1 upgrade

any "fool proof" steps described anywhere to install the driver and the sequence wrt upgrade manager?
    thanks
    6th - 8 points

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since you'd be downloading directly from nvidia and not ubuntu, you have to install it the hard way... This site has directions on how to do it: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/11...trepid-2627-7/

Hopefully this can all be resolved soon, and we can go back to the easy way it was handled in 8.04. Good luck!
    Last edited by Chunky Dunk; November 9th, 2008 at 02:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[QUOTE=Chunky Dunk;6134411]This site has directions on how to do it: http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/11...trepid-2627-7/
    QUOTE]

Seems it may be possible ... comments on my though IAN at bottom
    http://kmandla.wordpress.com/2008/11...trepid-2627-7/, can't say that I fully comprehend the instructiions. Maybe Ubuntu can offer some further instruction, as it does seem possible, so why not included ???
    What worries me about this is trying and completely messing up my orking version of 8.04. These issues seem to be "black art" side of Ubuntu.
    thanks
    6th - 8 points

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

goslings, I can help you out with the instructions, exactly what don't you understand?

And about the drivers, yes, Nvidia proprietary drivers aren't all that reliable, but the Ubuntu devs can't be held responsible for this since they do not have the driver source in order to make it easier to install, so you would need to ask Nvidia themselves.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

[QUOTE=PmDematagoda;6151269]goslings, I can help you out with the instructions, exactly what don't you understand?
    QUOTE]
    Hi It is really a step by step set of instructions I am after,
    8.04 works well with my sony desktop (GeForce 4200)
    If I upgrade to 8.1 via upgrade manager it reports nvidia not supported?
    couple of pages back offered some suggestions, also read 3D accelerated graphics not support under 8.10 for this card type.
    Can't try as away alll week
    regards
    6th - 8 points

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lol goslings, isn't the guide a step-by-step thing itself? I know it doesn't seem to be very clear that it is step-by-step, but it is, and if you need my help, then I can't help you any more than the guide can, except if you face some errors.

But I would advise you to download the driver first before killing the X-Server.

And you may want to do this before the upgrade itself, first open the xorg.conf file for editing with:-
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    go to the section which looks something like this:-
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier  "Videocard0"
    	Driver      "intel"
    EndSection
    and change the entry in front of Driver to "vesa" and save it, you should then be good to go.
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know if you worked this out yet, goslings, but it seems as though this driver has finally made it to the repos.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast