Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 884

Thread: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

  1. #771
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    Alright. Post the output of xinput list and xsetwacom list.

  2. #772
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Beans
    350
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Alright. Post the output of xinput list and xsetwacom list.
    Xsetwacom list and xinput list output is attached. I rebooted before doing this, which IIRC should remove any of the random settings that I was experimenting with to try to get any of this to work.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  3. #773
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    OK, the outputs look good.
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos3 6x8 eraser id=8 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos3 6x8 cursor id=9 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos3 6x8 pad id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ Wacom Intuos3 6x8 id=11 [slave pointer (2)]
    Wacom Intuos3 6x8 eraser ERASER
    Wacom Intuos3 6x8 cursor CURSOR
    Wacom Intuos3 6x8 pad PAD
    Wacom Intuos3 6x8 STYLUS
    The tablet is on the wacom drivers and you are using the correct "device name" for pad in the xsetwacom command.

    When you say:
    the buttons on the Wacom tablet always sets the focus to the "Panel" menu bar at the top of the screen, and right clicks on it, not in the window that I am pointing at.
    Are you saying the pointer arrow jumps up to the top or top left of the screen?

  4. #774
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Beans
    350
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    OK, the outputs look good.


    The tablet is on the wacom drivers and you are using the correct "device name" for pad in the xsetwacom command.

    When you say:

    Are you saying the pointer arrow jumps up to the top or top left of the screen?
    Yes, when I press any of the buttons, the mouse pointer jumps to the top left corner of the screen. If the button is set to click, then it clicks there, and if the button is set to right click, it right clicks up there.

  5. #775
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    The reason I've been avoiding saying cursor is that cursor in linuxwacom lingo means the Wacom tablet mouse. However since everyone uses cursor for pointer arrow...

    Shoot, you have a cursor jump bug. We just finished fixing one for an Oneiric Launchpad bug report. But that bug was kernel side and your Lucid 2.6.32 kernel doesn't have that problem. As I recall you have an old bug where the driver was confused about the pad being Relative or Absolute. That was fixed fairly quickly so I think xf86-input-wacom-0.10.8 or later has the fix: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...6-input-wacom/

    In other words you'll have to upgrade your xf86-input-wacom from 0.10.5 to 0.10.8 or later. Ubuntu has xf86-input-wacom in the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package. 0.10.8 still has the same xsetwacom parameter names pretty much so you won't have to change your xsetwacom commands. You should skip 0.10.9 and 0.10.10 because they had other pad bugs. With 0.10.11 or later you'd have to use the new parameter names.

    So you'll have to compile a newer xf86-input-wacom to fix things or install say Irie Shinsuke's PPA. Which also changes your default wacom.ko (the usb kernel driver) to input-wacom's wacom.ko. The PPA link is above part I. on the Bamboo P&T HOW TO and how to compile a xf86-input-wacom tar is in part II. a) and b). You'll have to change the version number to the one you selected.

    Good luck!

  6. #776
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Beans
    350
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    That was fixed fairly quickly so I think xf86-input-wacom-0.10.8 or later has the fix: http://sourceforge.net/projects/linu...6-input-wacom/

    In other words you'll have to upgrade your xf86-input-wacom from 0.10.5 to 0.10.8 or later. Ubuntu has xf86-input-wacom in the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package. 0.10.8 still has the same xsetwacom parameter names pretty much so you won't have to change your xsetwacom commands. You should skip 0.10.9 and 0.10.10 because they had other pad bugs. With 0.10.11 or later you'd have to use the new parameter names.

    So you'll have to compile etc etc

    Good luck!
    Holy crap! I'm way in over my head. How the heck do i compile this stuff? I just downloaded a tarball with a bunch of gibberish in it. The heck with it, Ubuntu doesn't talk nice to tablets and I've been screwed. I'll just sit a mouse next to the darned tablet and stab the right click button on that. This is nuts!

  7. #777

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    I am rapidly coming to q similar conclusion as yourself. My interest is in photography and, in my opinion, to be able to use the stylus with variable pressure is a most valuable asset. Therefore, as long as my stylus works I am prepared to forgo the buttons on the tablet and to use my keyboard instead.

  8. #778
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Missouri, USA
    Beans
    350
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post

    In other words you'll have to upgrade your xf86-input-wacom from 0.10.5 to 0.10.8 or later. Ubuntu has xf86-input-wacom in the xserver-xorg-input-wacom package. 0.10.8 still has the same xsetwacom parameter names pretty much so you won't have to change your xsetwacom commands. You should skip 0.10.9 and 0.10.10 because they had other pad bugs. With 0.10.11 or later you'd have to use the new parameter names.

    So you'll have to compile a newer xf86-input-wacom to fix things or install say Irie Shinsuke's PPA. Which also changes your default wacom.ko (the usb kernel driver) to input-wacom's wacom.ko. The PPA link is above part I. on the Bamboo P&T HOW TO and how to compile a xf86-input-wacom tar is in part II. a) and b). You'll have to change the version number to the one you selected.

    Good luck!
    Oops! Wrong answer. "You'll need to upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu" is the correct answer. I am always amazed when people identify the absolute most difficult way to solve a problem, when there is a blindingly easy way, that even a forehead-slapping N00B like myself can accomplish. The packages recommended here, if I am not mistaken, are included in the latest version, while I am using 10.04 Lucid Lynx, one year out of date. Upgrade in process now, I'll post if this works.

  9. #779

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    Quote Originally Posted by lile001 View Post
    Oops! Wrong answer. "You'll need to upgrade to the latest version of Ubuntu" is the correct answer. I am always amazed when people identify the absolute most difficult way to solve a problem, when there is a blindingly easy way, that even a forehead-slapping N00B like myself can accomplish. The packages recommended here, if I am not mistaken, are included in the latest version, while I am using 10.04 Lucid Lynx, one year out of date. Upgrade in process now, I'll post if this works.
    I do not believe that this is the answer. I am running a fully up to date Ubuntu 11.04 and I have the same problem with the pointer.

  10. #780
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Beans
    9,635
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

    Hi Norman,

    The Bamboo Pen support either somehow got lost or was never submitted to the kernel's linux-input. However someone I don't recognize did submit it to linux-input in February 2011. I thought that was in time for support for the Pen to be in Natty's 2.6.38 kernel, but maybe not. But he got the pressure levels for the Pen wrong anyway, somehow using 256, so you'd still have to fix it.

    I discovered that responding to some bug reports. To make matters worse the Wacom site specification claimed 512 pressure levels for the Pen. But my tester reported that was still wrong and that the Pen has 1024 levels like the other Bamboo Pen and Touches. Ping and I submitted the fix for that to linux-input so the wacom.ko in Oneiric's 3.0 or whatever kernel will support the Bamboo Pen correctly.

    In the meantime the input-wacom's wacom.ko does have the correct Bamboo Pen support.

    So you can either install Irie's PPA, which takes only a few lines to do for editing Software Sources, with the instructions on the site. Or you can compile input-wacom as the Bamboo P&T HOW TO shows you how. I just looked at Irie's PPA and while it is about 4 to 6 weeks out of date it should work. And if you chose to compile you should probably use the latest xf86-input-wacom tar also.

Page 78 of 89 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •