Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

Hi savanik,

Good work! Thanks for posting your xorg.conf. You're not the only one with compiling problems. Us TX2000 and TX2500 folks have been using:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post5469447

Now substituting 0.8.2 for 0.8.1-6. Loic2's been trying to make that unecessary.

At his kernel install wiki:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom/LatestDriver

Did you try his note 2? Where he tells you to try:
    Code:
    ./configure --enable-wacom --prefix=/usr
    I'm interested in your rotation script. Do you have bezel buttons on your screen? Do you pick up a keycode with xev? If you do you could bind rotation to a bezel button. Putting the launcher on a panel or in a dock would mean only a single click for rotation.

Beans

Hello, I appear to have no luck with my HP Pavilion tx2000. This is after following the community docs on the subject, including compiling the 0.8.2-1 driver from http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/l....8.2-1.tar.bz2. But still not a sausage.

lsusb gives
    Code:
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 056a:0093 Wacom Co., Ltd
    however nothing appears at /dev/input/wacom and wacomcpl appears to be rather blank. And Xorg.0.log entries seem to say that that the Xorg entries on the docs a load of tosh also.

It all works smashingly in Vista and any assistance to get tablet working in Ubuntu would be much appreciated (Mainly because Ubuntu doesn't burn rather delicate areas when using it on my lap).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Hi AlmightyMole,

First step is getting you an xorg.conf. Go to:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=996830

At the bottom of the HOW TO is a TX2000 xorg.conf. Be sure to back yours up first. If you compare it to yours you will see quite a bit of difference. The TX2000 is a USB Wacom tablet. You do not need serial tablet entries.

Then we can deal with your linuxwacom driver problem. What happens if you:
    Code:
    sudo su modprobe wacom
    close your X session, reopen X (or just reboot) and then enter:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep wacom
    ?

Beans

I used the
    Code:
    sudo su modprobe wacom
    gave me
    Code:
    mole@mole-laptop:~$ sudo su modprobe wacom
    [sudo] password for mole: 
    Unknown id: modprobe
    And after resetting the X server:
    Code:
    mole@mole-laptop:~$ lsmod | grep wacom
    wacom                  29824  0 
    usbcore               175888  8 wacom,isp1760,uvcvideo,btusb,usbhid,ohci_hcd,ehci_hcd
    At least the extra entries from that xorg.conf attached to the post you linked to now allows me to rotate the screen, thanks Favux.

Beans
    Distro

Hi AlmightyMole,

Good that you have rotation. Now we know that you do not have a linuxwacom kernel module present. If you've exhausted Loic2's wacom wiki, and remember there is troubleshooting stuff there too, time to move on to gali98's tutorial.

Gali98 hasn't posted in a couple months. So the linuxwacom driver version # is out of date. Follow the tutorial exactly, read it carefully. Copy and paste to terminal rather that type. If you want substitute for 0.8.1-6 either 0.8.2 or the latest 0.8.2-1. I know 0.8.2 works because I've done it. The tutorial is at:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...47#post5469447

Good luck!

Beans

Is all working now, murky beer cups for you assistance, I will have a look at that script you posted to rotate the screen on the correct events, so thanks again.
    Last edited by AlmightyMole; January 11th, 2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: grammer :|

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: Wacom tablets in Ubuntu guide/howto

First of all, THANK YOU to everyone who has made it possible to use tablets with Ubuntu! I hope that at least a few of you read this.

I just paired my Bluetooth Graphire with my laptop, and have not configured settings in Gimp, Inkscape, etc., yet. I did not reconfigure xorg.conf, but rather just used the default setup in Intrepid.

Second, a question. Are there plans to make the tablet function as it does in Windows, where the tablet surface is mapped to the screen, and when you touch the tablet the cursor jumps to the corresponding position? Or should it be doing this now?

And last, thanks again!

Beans

Good day, all!

I haven't used Linux in years (I think it's been over a decade--gasp!) but recently installed Ubuntu on my home PC. I dusted off my old skills and with just a bit of reading was able to get everything running.

I've got the module loaded and the tablet is working, but I have a strange calibration setting I can't figure out. Specifically, the tablet only engages when the pen actually makes contact with the pad, so I am unable to move the cursor around without actually applying pressure and "clicking". The eraser end of the stylus doesn't have this problem, and both have the same options for setting the default pressure.

I am using an old Art2 Serial working via a USB-based Serial adapter.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

--Clinton

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by riesengreen View Post
    Second, a question. Are there plans to make the tablet function as it does in Windows, where the tablet surface is mapped to the screen, and when you touch the tablet the cursor jumps to the corresponding position? Or should it be doing this now?
    The two settings exist in Linux two, what you're looking for is to set the tablet in Absolute mode (which is usually the default mode). Sometimes, you can also be confused by the fact that the graphic program you're using also allow the input to be set in Windows mode or in Screen more (you'll want Screen mode).

If you don't want to edit your xorg.conf, you'll have to follow the guide for editing the .fdi file (but copy it to /etc/hal/fdi/policy and edit it there) and add the option.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by crparis View Post
    Specifically, the tablet only engages when the pen actually makes contact with the pad, so I am unable to move the cursor around without actually applying pressure and "clicking". The eraser end of the stylus doesn't have this problem, and both have the same options for setting the default pressure.

I am using an old Art2 Serial working via a USB-based Serial adapter
    I don't know much about Serial tablet plugged in USB via an adapter. You can attach (not paste) your xorg.conf here, but I don't really think it's the problem.

The solution might be to download the latest stable drivers from the Linux Wacom Project (0.8.2.2), install them (binary or by compiling them), including maybe the kernel module, and see if it help, then if it doesn't ask your question in the linuxwacom-discuss mailing list, where somebody would have probably already faced this situation.

Page 11 of 89 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast