Thread: Laptop Monitor Dead, but drivers ignore that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Laptop Monitor Dead, but drivers ignore that.

Okay, so I sortof have a strange problem.
    I was able to install Ubuntu 8.10 on a laptop. The laptop's built in monitor is broken and no longer works.
    I have an external monitor hooked up and it's working somewhat fine now, but the problem is it's stuck at a resolution of 800x600 (it's a widescreen capable of 1440x900 i think?)
    The issue is when I install the Driver for the Graphics Card, the laptop loads up the GUI and everything on the built-in monitor, and I can't really see anything... I believe it has a NVIDIA GeForce4 FX Go5200 graphics card (at least that's what the product page says).

The BIOS is Phoenix BIOS ver 1.6 (I think), and I can't find a place about ignoring displays or something...

So I was wondering if there was a way to install the drivers so I could use the external monitor at a bigger screen resolution without it trying to use the built-in laptop monitor.

Thanks for any help or advice.
    Last edited by twirp; November 1st, 2008 at 11:49 PM.
    If one isn't fully appreciated till death,
    Then why do I keep on living?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Laptop Monitor Dead, but drivers ignore that.

Okay, so I was able to get the driver to install, but NVida is weird and providing a 1440x900 resolution, but it only display 640x400 at a time depending on where my cursor is.
    Has anyone experienced this before?
    If one isn't fully appreciated till death,
    Then why do I keep on living?