I have a headless Hardy 64-bit machine that I use as my music server (Squeezecenter, etc) that I'd like to plug my ipod into to transfer some files. I use nomachine as my remote server/client, which works very well for me. The problem is that if I'm not logged in locally to the machine, I get errors when the machine tries to automount the ipod, or any external storage device for that matter. I get this error:

Cannot mount volume.
Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied.

Details: A security policy in place prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient, see message bus configuration file (rejected message had interface "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount" error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")

I've tried changing the stuff in the policykit to permit non-console users to mount devices, but it doesn't seem to help. I'll happily provide details from any logfile or the output of any command to be able to get this to work - and I'll also be ok with mounting the ipod manually (sudo), I just don't know how to do that.

Regards,
Erik