Thread: No partitions showing? 8.10 intrepid ibex

Beans

No partitions showing? 8.10 intrepid ibex

Hi there ! is anyone else having the problem that when trying to install, their is none of your existing partitions showing in either Manual or Guided options? I`ve got like four partitions and none show up?
    I also checked the release notes and i have not mounted or searched the drives in the live cd. I have now tried the desktop 8.10 install cd and the alternate install cd with no luck. If anyone has had this problem and has found a fix , let me know thanks
    Last edited by gibberz; November 1st, 2008 at 09:38 AM.

Beans

Re: No partitions showing? 8.10 intrepid ibex

well, this is a real problem,
    I. you can install it on usb device;
    II.
    a) get vmlinuz、initrd.gz from desktop;
    b) edit menu.lst as the following:
    title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso ro quiet splash locale=zh_CN.UTF-8
    initrd (hd0,0)/initrd.gz;
    and put the desktop on other usb divice,
    it work

Beans

II.
    title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso ro quiet splash locale=zh_CN.UTF-8
    it work

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gulch View Post
    II.
    title Install Ubuntu
    root (hd0,0)
    it work
    Thanks for the replay gulch. I`ve found a bug thats been filed in launchpad so i added a comment to let them know that the problem is still their. It seems the bug was reported before the full release. I`m going to give the usb thing ago . It`s a shame really , this is the first real problem i`ve had when installing Ubuntu over the last couple of years.No ubuntu intrepid for me unless i can find my usb stick

Oh here`s the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/288675

Beans

Ok now i`m lost! I just tried to install hardy so i could upgrade to ibex.
    The thing is that Hardy is doing the same thing , only showing one hard drive (sda) with no partitions shown? It must be my set up? Like i say i`m bit lost now i really don`t know how my partitions are not showing in the list especially since it`s in a live environment . If anyone has any ideas on this please let me know, thanks !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gibberz View Post
    Hi there ! is anyone else having the problem that when trying to install, their is none of your existing partitions showing in either Manual or Guided options? I`ve got like four partitions and none show up?
    I also checked the release notes and i have not mounted or searched the drives in the live cd. I have now tried the desktop 8.10 install cd and the alternate install cd with no luck. If anyone has had this problem and has found a fix , let me know thanks
    Hmmm, gibberz, I met the same problem with Xubuntu. No idea how to solve it. It's also my first time failing to install *ubuntu. It seems to me this release rushes out a little bit early ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gibberz View Post
    Ok now i`m lost! I just tried to install hardy so i could upgrade to ibex.
    The thing is that Hardy is doing the same thing , only showing one hard drive (sda) with no partitions shown? It must be my set up? Like i say i`m bit lost now i really don`t know how my partitions are not showing in the list especially since it`s in a live environment . If anyone has any ideas on this please let me know, thanks !
    oh,my friend, I have fixed it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=966609
    Fix Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid bug/288675 "no partitions listed in partition table"

That is an easy way to solve the problem:
    1. plesae use the Alternative iso;

2. when partition, run shell, you can see /hd-media,
    only need run as following:
    # umount -l /hd-media
    # exit

3. now you can see partition tab, good luck!!!