Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Firefox 1.5 Backport

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    I've found that the Download Tweak Extension is often the cause of this. It's a very poorly written extension that never uninstalls cleanly. Usually, starting with a fresh profile directory is the best way to resolve this, unless you want to spend a few hours grepping and removing references to the extension in your profile.
    Couldn't be my problem, though... I never had it... < shrug > might start with a fresh profile anyway.

The other issue I now have is that Thunderbird will not open Firefox when I click on a link. I don't see anyplace to set this in Firefox, so I'm not sure where that comes from.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Question: what kind of dialogs are opping up for opening and saving files? Is it the default Mozilla dialogs, or is it the GNOME file dialogs? I'm using FF in Kubuntu and it's annoying me to death how the Ubuntu package for FF uses the GTK/GNOME file dialogs even in KDE.
    What's wrong with closed and open source co-exisiting?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    OMG don't remind me
    Security team established a long solid record of backporting changes without incrementing version number (even if the packages were source level equivalent to later upstream version) for nearly 9 months, and all of a sudden one day decided to issue a bumped version starting with Firefox 1.0.6..
    They got a stroke of common sense perhaps? What they were doing before only made sense to them. The rest of us were confused as hell. addons.mozilla.org was confused too.

Apparently that change took a while to make it to the "Things we do better than Debian" list. I was glad it did.

Obviously some pocket-protector types weren't happy, but since I'm not one of them...

BTW, people.....

Who dictates what software you use? Your Linux distribution or YOU?

getfirefox.com
    Scott
    © 2010 angrykeyboarder™ & Elmer Fudd. All Wites Wesewved.
    I never used an OS that I didn't (dis)like.
    I'm angrykeyboarder™ and I approved this message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah but abrupt changes in versioning numbers makes the life of a backporter a little difficult.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Guys -- for now, I recommend unpacking an official 1.5 tarball to somewhere (/opt, home directory, etc) and running it from there if you want Firefox 1.5.

No matter how much I recompile everything, Backports is still going to introduce a dramatic ABI change by replacing the system Firefox version, disrupting 3rd party packages targeted at Ubuntu, not to mention the innocent bystander who has an ultra-customized Firefox profile.

In addition, the Ubuntu 1.5 package still appears to have some weird issues that I cannot explain, like some of my settings will magically revert, bookmarks magically disappear, etc.

Since extracting Firefox tarballs from mozilla.com can be done in pure GUI, I think that's a reasonably simple way of getting the job done.

Thanks for understanding and being considerate of others.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro

Sounds very sensible to me jdong. I did that as soon as 1.5 came out. The only fiddle needed was transfering the plugins into the new firefox/plugins directory. Really very easy. All my prefs went over without problem. A couple of minor extensions did not work but they weren't going to anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wow who would have thought Firefox would lead me to use Windows.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pt123
    Wow who would have thought Firefox would lead me to use Windows.
    You're kidding right? Hey Internet Exploder is just a click away now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by kleeman
    You're kidding right? Hey Internet Explorer is just a click away now.
    Hehe, no on Windows FIREFOX 1.5 is just a simple click or two away: download, click on install, done!

(Writing this from my Windows box)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

On Linux:
    Download - Unpack - Install - Done ... not too hard, eh?

Anyway I can't understand why all people are rushing to 1.5 now - there are a lot of extensions which do not work with it at the moment and Firefox 1.0.7 does not become worse as soon as there is a new version.

Best,
    ember

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast