Thread: [SOLVED] Ibex ffmpeg mp3 encoding doesn't work

Beans

[SOLVED] Ibex ffmpeg mp3 encoding doesn't work

Hi,

I recently installed ffmpeg from the medibuntu repository, I'm assuming encoding mp3 should work but it doesn't. Whenever I try running the command with

Code:
    ffmpeg --acodec mp3
    Code:
    ffmpeg --acodec libmp3lame
    (I think that's how it's called)

I get an error saying
    Unknown encoder
    . I'm pretty sure I've installed the encoder. I installed a bunch of libraries and lame. Any ideas why it doesn't work? I could always try compiling it myself, but it kinda beats the purpose of using the medibuntu repository.

Beans

Re: Ibex ffmpeg mp3 encoding doesn't work

but it kinda beats the purpose of using the medibuntu repository
    I don't believe there is a ffmpeg in medibuntu for ibex, and the ubuntu version is neutered.
    Here's a fairly straightforward guide to building ect. if needed and thread for info, help.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=786095

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Either that or just install lame to convert to mp3

Jim

Beans

There is also an 'in between' thing that one could do. If you've no real need for the latest ffmpeg and libav*'s and just want a better ffmpeg to go along with your existing libav*'s this is fairly easy. (will be compatible with the regular or unstripped libav*'s which must be installed for other apps anyway.

The hardest part would be making sure you have all the libs and -devs you'll need installed. Absolutely don't depend on apt-get build-dep ffmpeg.

Basically just download the ubuntu ffmpeg source and build off of command of
    Code:
    fakeroot debian/rules binary
    This will build a complete set of libav*'s and ffmpeg .deb's (17 packages) though all you'll want is the ffmpeg deb.

Before running comm. on the source just browse to the debian folder, open the confflags file and make some changes, enable what you want supported, edit a few lines, remove a couple of lines and run the above command.

Then just install the ffmpeg deb (if and when medibuntu releases you can upgrade your libav*'s and ffmpeg.

Ex. (enabled most of the basic stuff
    doug@doug-desktop:~$ ffmpeg -i heroes.wav -acodec libmp3lame -ab 192k heroes.mp3
    FFmpeg version r11872+debian_3:0.svn20080206-12ubuntu3, Copyright (c) 2000-2008 Fabrice Bellard, et al.
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-pp --enable-swscaler --enable-x11grab --prefix=/usr --enable-libgsm --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis --enable-pthreads --enable-libxvid --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libfaac --enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin --enable-liba52 --enable-liba52bin --enable-nonfree --enable-libamr-nb --enable-libamr-wb --enable-libx264 --enable-libdc1394 --disable-armv5te --disable-armv6 --disable-altivec --disable-vis --shlibdir=/usr/lib/i686/cmov --cpu=i686 --enable-shared
    libavutil version: 49.6.0
    libavcodec version: 51.50.0
    libavformat version: 52.7.0
    libavdevice version: 52.0.0
    built on Nov 1 2008 01:27:35, gcc: 4.3.2
    Input #0, wav, from 'heroes.wav':
    Duration: 00:04:33.6, bitrate: 2304 kb/s
    Stream #0.0: Audio: pcm_s24le, 48000 Hz, stereo, 2304 kb/s
    Output #0, mp3, to 'heroes.mp3':
    Stream #0.0: Audio: libmp3lame, 48000 Hz, stereo, 192 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Press [q] to stop encoding
    size= 6415kB time=273.7 bitrate= 192.0kbits/s video:0kB audio:6415kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 0.000472%
    if you need help with confflags i can offer advice though I'm sure others would know more or better.
    Last edited by mc4man; November 1st, 2008 at 07:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Beans

This worked for me!

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...eg/+bug/296922

Lionel Le Folgoc wrote on 2008-11-11: (permalink)

Hi,

Thanks for your bug report.
    To have mp3 encoding, you need to install the 'libavcodec-unstripped-51' package, and pass '-acodec libmp3lame' instead of '-acodec mp3' in your command line.

Beans

Ibex can use the "unstripped" codecs and such with ffmpeg to allow mp3, aac, xvid, etc. Just to make this easy:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge ffmpeg
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install libavcodec-unstripped-51 libavdevice-unstripped-52 libavformat-unstripped-52 libavutil-unstripped-49 libpostproc-unstripped-51 libswscale-unstripped-0 ffmpeg

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [SOLVED] Ibex ffmpeg mp3 encoding doesn't work

Dead on. Perfect fix. Thanks for the posts!