Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: People that back into a parking spot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

People that back into a parking spot.

This is really annoying. Call it a pet peeve of mine. I have often wondered why people do it. I do it when I am unloading my pickup truck into the garage.

I usually find that people that think they are exceptionally "cool" back into a parking spot. I guess they are saying "Hey, look at me I am proficient at using the reverse gear".

I also notice that BMW/Lexus/Benz or Fast & Furious types do it. They are too cool for words.

I was at a friend's car club and EVERYONE backed into their parking spot. They were so cool, ice cubes had nothing on them.

Another friend of mine always backs into his garage.

I have asked backer uppers why and they say it is safer. SAFER!!!!!! WTF!!!!!

Another said they can leave quicker. Are you robbing a bank and need to make a fast getaway?

I guess they think the front end of their car looks way better than the back.

Oh well, just my rant.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans

Re: People that back into a parking spot.

What is the point?

They do it differently, so what? You don't need to judge them, and I'm sure they don't judge you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    What is the point?

They do it differently, so what? You don't need to judge them, and I'm sure they don't judge you.
    Did not mean to touch a nerve.

fedex1993 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

usually i never back in i usually park a far ways out and pull threw funny thing is at my school it is a 25 dollar fine if you back in :\

Beans

It's not only faster but also easier to get out of the parking spot if you park that way. I once parked the "front" way and when someone parked behind me I couldn't leave (there was a pole that was blocking my front wheel).
    From then on, I always back park... and it's got nothing to do with looks or being cool because I am driving an old wreck of a car...

Beans

Normal curiosity.
    Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I have often wondered why people do it.
    Random judgement of people minding their own business.
    I usually find that people that think they are exceptionally "cool" back into a parking spot. I guess they are saying "Hey, look at me I am proficient at using the reverse gear".
    Weird association.
    I also notice that BMW/Lexus/Benz or Fast & Furious types do it. They are too cool for words.
    You asked, the most reasonable way to find out why, and you mock their answer.

A good reason, yet you find a reason to make judgements. Some people don't like backing out into traffic. It is easier and faster to go forward into a possibly active road or parking lot than it is to back into it.
    Another said they can leave quicker. Are you robbing a bank and need to make a fast getaway?
    Another unfair judgement.
    I guess they think the front end of their car looks way better than the back.

Did not mean to touch a nerve.
    Well, you do realise your post was very touchy about nothing. I put my shirt on before my pants, is that a reason to make accusations of illegal activity or vanity? Would you mock my reason for it in capital letters?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Bee View Post
    It's not only faster but also easier to get out of the parking spot if you park that way. I once parked the "front" way and when someone parked behind me I couldn't leave (there was a pole that was blocking my front wheel).
    From then on, I always back park... and it's got nothing to do with looks or being cool because I am driving an old wreck of a car...
    Wether you back in or pull in if you are blocked you are blocked. If that car on that fateful day that blocked you had you backed in then the pole would have been blocking your back wheel instead of your front wheel. Backing into a parking spot does not change the configuration of your car.

I just get mad when I am driving in a parking lot and some backer upper passes a parking spot to then hit the brakes and back in. I almost got into a fight with a guy that accused me of "stealing" his spot. I said, "you passed it up". He said, "I was backing in". T.S. I told him. I guess the backer uppers hate parking lots with angle style parking spaces.

Beans

Wether you back in or pull in if you are blocked you are blocked. If that car on that fateful day that blocked you had you backed in then the pole would have been blocking your back wheel instead of your front wheel. Backing into a parking spot does not change the configuration of your car.
    No, because I don't steer with my back wheels, I steer with my front, so I could easily exit the spot if my back wheel was beside the pole and my front wheels free.

I guess the backer uppers hate parking lots with angle style parking spaces.
    How did you conclude that? I park in angle if that is how others are parked, it's easy and in a way you are partially out already. Only thing I hate is side parking

Maybe you should ask yourself why does it bother you? You can't back in without hitting the wall?

Beans
    Hidden!

Many of the drives on my street are quite short, and some of the drivers have trouble seeing the footpath because of hedges, fences and other obstructions. I don't particularly want to get run over by a driver who can't see me when backing out while I'm walking to the local shop.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

They're right, it is safer. Often, it's also easier.

If you reverse into a parking spot, all you have to worry about is staying between the lines or the cars already parked there. That's easy.

It allows you to drive forward to leave the parking spot again, with a good view through your front and side windows, allowing you to spot other cars, people, .... that might be there.
    This is especially the case with larger vehicles that need to back out quite far before you can commence your turn, and especially with vehicles that have limited rear view, such as vans - while reversing into a parking spot is just a matter of looking in the mirrors and lining up.

There's a small additional benefit in that when you reverse and turn, the steering wheels are in the rear, allowing for a sharper turn to enter the parking spot.

Like others have mentioned, those benefits only increase if you're parked on a driveway that gives out on a busy street.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast