Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: People that back into a parking spot.

Beans

Re: People that back into a parking spot.

I got started backing into spots when I was on a wildlfire engine crew about 10 years ago. I guess I just never shook the habit.

I don't always back in, but on average, I back in more often (or pull through).
    Regards,Old Dirty Turtle
    Desktop/Test Machine: Dell Dimension 8200, Intel Pentium 4, 512 Mhz. Hardy Heron.
    Laptop/Main: System76 Serval Pro, Intel Core2 Duo T9600 2.83 Ghz, nVidia, 4 Gb. Jaunty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Tamlynmac View Post
    toupeiro
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tamlynmac
    OMG, now we have a driving system (Smith Driving System). Whats next a walking system?

Well considering how most people drive in LA, I'll take that at face value...

This OMG we have a driving system, has been around over 50 years and is a supplement to anything else you've already learned. If you somehow think supplements can't help you because "youve been driving for years, and learned in LA", well .. I think the problem has been identified.

Or just maybe some people need constant reassurance that a driving system will improve on their own ineptitude. My point of learning to drive in LA was simple - so many diverse driving situations and many different cultures driving together. This make for a good teacher. As a young person I learned patience and tolerance. This has paid big dividends over my many years of driving. Of course, I would defer to someone who knows a system that actually assures 0 accidents or violations. So far I've never found such a system. IMHO the problem is based on individual performance not a system. If you read my entire response, I indicated that everyone should be tested each time their license comes up for renewal. I still believe that good driving skills, like many other activities in life are directly related to an individuals state of mind and abilities. No program will solve the issue of poor performance unless the program consists of constant observation and testing.
    Supplements are only effective if basic safety skills and techniques already exist. As in a reminder / re-enforcement., Ah, but what do I know I've only been driving for 45 years without any accidents that were directly related to my performance. As a matter of fact I haven't had any issues for over 15 years and I've done extensive travel as a field engineer without being enrolled in a driving system. How can that be - maybe the actual identity of the problem is related to ability, reaction time and attention instead of a driving system that simply re-enforces these attributes.
    Yes, that has a lot to do with it, and also maybe you have been incredibly lucky. No matter how good you are, if you rate yourself on the fact that you drive in a big city and haven't been in an accident, that doesn't make you a good driver, that makes you a fortunate one.

And, I live right next door to LA, I commute to LA a lot, and deal with Commuters to LA every day, and the majority of the drivers in LA are the most inconsiderate and offensive drivers I've ever shared the road with in the US. I think the average driver in LA could use some supplemental drivers education.

I'm willing to put a substantial bet on the fact that 45 years ago, LA traffic and drivers aren't a shadow of what they are today.. Take your driving skills in LA to a city over 400 years old, where mass transit wasn't even a consideration in design, and see if its still as applicable. If you can drive safely in both conditions, that is a much better sign of diverse driving...

Anyhow, I think its ridiculous you're putting down a system without knowing anything about it, like the fact that many of driving laws we have today were made laws based on statistics published by the SMITH driving program. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I don't see it as a very constructive one.
    Last edited by toupeiro; November 2nd, 2008 at 01:56 AM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

operators of large fleets of vehicles such as the power companies and telephone companies have used the Smith system for years. They found that re-enforcing the good habits and discouraging the bad habits not only has an effect of less accidents with their fleet vehicles (thus reducing their costs and increasing their bottom line) but the effect carries over into the personal driving of the employees.

I learned to drive in the LA area LONG ago and thought I knew it all until I hit the roads of ALASKA and had to learn to CONTROL a car under some pretty adverse conditions.

I have driven cars and trucks all over the North American continent .. the worst places to drive when I was doing so were:
    LA (because EVERYONE has to get there an hour ago), New York (because every cab thinks they have the right of way) and Chicago (were people just stop for no apparent reason).

Good runner up candidates are Montreal and Mexico City (where they play dodge'em with old Volkswagens)

Show me somebody that thinks they are a great driver and I will show you an accident waiting to happen. Even RACE CAR DRIVERS have to go to driving schools!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Sorry, I can't leave this one alone.

As a person who has driven every class of vehicle from bicycle to tractor-semitrailer, and also a Transportation Coordinator, I can tell you exactly why I back into parking spaces.

1. Pull up next to a parking space and jack the vehicle 45 degrees away from it. As you do so, you have the opportunity to SEE what's in that space, and NOT hit something or somebody (can I mention 5 year old kid, here?). The last thing you've done is visually check the parking space before backing into it. But, if you back out of a parking space, you've had to get in the vehicle, start it up, and put it in gear - a matter of from 30 seconds to 1 1/2 minutes, depending. In that time that 5 year old kid that doesn't show up in your mirrors could be walking behind your vehicle. This is magnified when driving bus or either straight or semi- truck.

2. Tinted windows. When trying to see through 2 thicknesses of tinted windows (both sides of the vehicle next to you), visability is drastically reduced, in some cases to zero. That means that you're backing out of a space blind.

Nothing cool about it. Just smart, defensive driving.

Beans

I must be super cool

In public parking lots/garages I there are usually two perking spaced directly opposite each other unless you are parking against the pavement/sidewalk. I will find two open spots and just drive through the one and park in the opposite one. It's much easier to leave and you can see what's coming when you exit. If I cannot find two open spots I will reverse in.

At home I don't bother as I have driveway and sidewalk space to to reverse-turn and exit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by stchman View Post
    I have asked backer uppers why and they say it is safer. SAFER!!!!!! WTF!!!!!
    That makes sense. Leaving a parking spot is more dangerous than entering one. You've got better visibility if you drive out forwards than if you back out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tyche View Post
    Nothing cool about it. Just smart, defensive driving.
    Exactly.

The UK Highway code allows reversing around a corner from a busy road into a side road. Just like reversing into a "quiet" parking spot (not reversing from a parking spot into the main thoroughfare).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Yesterday at the supermarket I watched two women reverse out of their parking bays into each other.
    A fist fight then ensued.

"Nose-in" parking at the supermarket is popular because it makes loading the shopping into the rear of the car easier.

Beans

If it wasn't for the OP's post count, I would contend that he/she isn't old enough to drive, & has set out a bait for the grown ups to amuse itself...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Ok, to set the record straight I have been driving for well over 20 years. I have backed into a spot, but I drive pickups and they are extremely long so therefore the possibility or bumping the person behind you is more likely.

I have never had a problem backing out of a parking spot.

I am amused that if the person backs into a parking spot and bumps the car behind that the person is an idiot and if they back out of a spot they are an idiot.

Backing in tiny European cars is probably far easier than a 20 foot pickup. I have seen numerous people taking a long time to back into a parking spot. I have then seen them bump the car behind them. They them go to a different spot and don't take responsibility for their actions.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast