Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to 8.10, blank screen shows after login.

Beans

Re: Upgraded to 8.10, blank screen shows after login.

Thank u gents. I am happy that I am not alone whom having this strange problem. We were having good impression that 8.10 well be our solutions to mots of our problems.

I was optimistic that Ubuntu team will consider all its members findings in its previous bugs and avoid it in each new release and I am still hoping that they are.

I seek you kind help to solve my problem...I did follow all steps mentioned here and no luck.

my pc is:
    Technical Specifications for LifeBook T4210
    Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology
    Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2400 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)
    Intel® PRO / Wireless 3945ABG network connection
    Intel® 945GM Express Chipset
    12.1" XGA TFT, 1024 x 768 pixels, transmissive with active digitiser

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Might be the same black screen problem I've been getting with Intel graphics since Aug 13. Excerpting Developers comments from my Launchpad Bug #259385:

"== Desktop effects and Intel 830MG and 845G video cards ==

There is a bug in the intel video driver for the older intel 830 and 845 integrated video cards that are used on laptops like the IBM R30. Desktop effects with compiz will not work on those chips and freeze the system."

From what I've seen on the posts there are a LOT More chips that have symptoms like this.

My workaround is:
    Boot in rescue mode
    select root shell prompt
    sudo apt-get remove compiz
    sudo apt-get remove compiz-core
    exit
    resume

If that works you're O.K. except no special visual effects. If you want to try compiz again, install with Synaptic.

Jerry
    I had the same problem and your solution fixed it, thanks for posting it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi,

I have the same issue on a HP Compaq Evo 510 desktop, which has a 64MB Intel 82845G GFX chipset.

During the install of 8.10 from CD, the screen resolution that the installer selected was very strange (1152 x 864), which caused my LCD screen (HP L1530) to report "signal out of range", but luckily the display was still visible!

After the install completed, I had the same issue of a blank/black screen when I'd expect to see the login screen.

I found this thread (after a lot of searching!) and used the solution suggested by jerrylamos and that seemed to work - I could get to a desktop and then used the usual system>preferences>screen resolution util to set the screen res to something my monitor could handle (1024x768).

Strangely the login screen resolution is still 1152 x 864, but the Ubuntu desktop is fine at 1024x768. I suspect that there are more than a few bugs/issues with the Intel 82845G drivers.

If anyone would know how to change the resolution of the login screen, that would also be helpful!

Interestingly I have NO problems with the same install process on a near-identical machine with an Intel 82865G GFX chipset...

Cheers,

Mike.
    Last edited by mingle; November 2nd, 2008 at 07:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    Might be the same black screen problem I've been getting with Intel graphics since Aug 13. Excerpting Developers comments from my Launchpad Bug #259385:

"== Desktop effects and Intel 830MG and 845G video cards ==

There is a bug in the intel video driver for the older intel 830 and 845 integrated video cards that are used on laptops like the IBM R30. Desktop effects with compiz will not work on those chips and freeze the system."

From what I've seen on the posts there are a LOT More chips that have symptoms like this.

My workaround is:
    Boot in rescue mode
    select root shell prompt
    sudo apt-get remove compiz
    sudo apt-get remove compiz-core
    exit
    resume

If that works you're O.K. except no special visual effects. If you want to try compiz again, install with Synaptic.

Jerry
    How do I boot in rescue mode? I though I should select it in GRUB, but if I press ESC on startup I see LILO. There is only one option there (which is Linux) and I don't know how to make it load in the rescue mode.

Ubuntu 8.10 i386 Desktop, installed from alternate CD.

Beans

Hi everyone. I had the same issue with a Dimension 2350 and tried the fix that Jerry recommended. Although it allowed me to get to the GUI after the recovery, upon reboot, it just went to a black screen. This was a spare machine so I downloaded and installed 8.04LTS and it worked with no issues.

I would much rather have used the 8.1 but am just happy to get this older machine loaded with any version. If anyone else experiences the same black screen issue after removing compiz, I'd sure like to know....

Thanks.

JD

Beans

Well, I am glad I am not the only person with this problem either!

Now, pardon the very very silly question, but how do I boot in rescue mode?

At present when I boot up it asks for my login name and password and then I get a blank orange/brown screen. Rescue me please!

Beans

lhmperth Re: Upgraded to 8.10, blank screen shows after login.
    Well, I am glad I am not the only person with this problem either!

Now, pardon the very very silly question, but how do I boot in rescue mode?

At present when I boot up it asks for my login name and password and then I get a blank orange/brown screen. Rescue me please!
    When you boot ubuntu you should see grub loading... press ESC this will take you to grub menu then choose recovery mode.
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans
    Hidden!

restart Ubuntu and select the 2nd choise "safemode" them select "root shell" then remove Compiz
    sudo apt-get remove compiz compiz-core

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You can follow the steps from my blog page. Only follow the steps if you are using Intel 845 mother boards. For rest of the video cards I've not tried.
    NSA is spying on you! Move to Linux!

http://tushargok.blogspot.in
    https://prism-break.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Where is this bug actually documented?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast