Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: freezes in my new intrepid!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: freezes in my new intrepid!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kboy View Post
    My current kernel version is 2.6.27-7-generic. is there something better???
    From what i know i've updated the kernel right after the install, together with all of the other updates.
    don't know, but I have the same version of kernel, but I have a kernel update, maybe some patch or fix. Go to System-Administration-Update Manager and check.

Beans

My kernel is updated....
    I'll appreciate any other possible solutions.

Beans

I think its related to this bug

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/276990

Its related to the wireless drivers in the kernel that ships with 8.10. Upgrading the kernel (with the backports) probably fixes it.
    Last edited by carpex; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:32 PM.

Beans

Carpex, while trying that fix you posted I noticed something really odd. While trying to type out the commands needed for the fix, every time I pressed "tab" my computer went into one of these lockups... I tried 6 times in a row, as soon as I pressed tab, it froze. I finally applied the fix, pressed tab and sure enough, it froze. No idea what's going on here.

Beans

I guess everyone here has a different reason for the freezes...

it seems that my freezes started from the pulse audio problem but when I uninstalled it, the problem continued from a different reason.
    this the entry in syslog from the first freeze today, 8 more freezes with the same entry occured in the last 3 hours...

Code:
    Nov  5 10:28:15 my-ubuntu gnome-session[5666]: WARNING: Unable to find provider 'gnome-wm' of required component 'windowmanager' 

Nov  5 10:28:26 my-ubuntu gnome-session[5666]: WARNING: Application 'gnome-wm.desktop' failed to register before timeout 

Nov  5 10:28:36 my-ubuntu gnome-session[5666]: WARNING: Application 'libcanberra-login-sound.desktop' failed to register before timeout
    I've tried to google some of the information but i couldn't find anything helpful.
    I hope someone here will help me in resolving this issue.

Beans

I have the same (or similar?) random freezes, with pulse audio errors in the system log. Upgrading the kernel didn't help.

It occurs at apparently at random, but seems somewhat more frequent if I'm using ssh with x forwarding.

I also retain full keyboard and mouse control. I can move between applications with alt-tab and desktops with alt-control. Indeed the applications are still working: using the keyboard I can navigate to new pages in firefox, it's just all of the GUI elements which aren't responding to the mouse. Restarting x with alt-control-backspace solves the problem temporarily. Are other people's like this?

It's difficult to tell whether this is a bug in x, gnome, hal..., but it sure is annoying.

Beans

kboy, im sorry to disappoint you, but this has been happening to me ever since hardy came out... I thought it would be fixed with intrepid, but it's not. Back to gutsy or windows XP I guess.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12