Thread: VMware Fusion 2.0: Getting Linux from another partition as a virtual machine

Beans

Question VMware Fusion 2.0: Getting Linux from another partition as a virtual machine

Hi, I recently modified my Macbook 5.1 (unibody aluminum) so that it can triple boot Mac OSX, Windows XP, and Linux 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope.

I have VMware Fusion 2.04 installed on my Mac and it loads XP from the Bootcamp partition just fine.

I was wondering if it is possible to load my Linux partition into VMware Fusion similar to how it does it with XP so that I can run Linux side-by-side with XP and OSX.

I have read both:

http://fearandloath.us/vmware-fusion...partition.html
    and
    http://taylorbanks.com/blog/ubuntu-o...rtual-or-both/

but both tell me to go to a directory/file in the VMware Fusion application support folder that doesn't exist in my version (./vmware-rawdiskCreator print /dev/disk0).

I'm new to the commands in terminal, but I believe the ./ means to go to a specific file in the directory.

Thank you, any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: VMware Fusion 2.0: Getting Linux from another partition as a virtual machine

you can, and the manual to vbox describes how to do this, however it warns that once you do, to NOT boot into the partition normally, as it will mess-up the "virtual" virtual disk that is created.
    There is an easy way, and a hard way to do things.
    If you're anything like me, you've tried to do things things the hard way,

and broke something.......

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: VMware Fusion 2.0: Getting Linux from another partition as a virtual machine

Quote Originally Posted by Ocxic View Post
    you can, and the manual to vbox describes how to do this, however it warns that once you do, to NOT boot into the partition normally, as it will mess-up the "virtual" virtual disk that is created.
    I was considering doing this, but I would precisely like the ability to either run in a virtual machine from MacOSX or boot into the partition. (HFS has messed up my files too many times and I do not trust it -- I only trust ext2/ext3/ext4 .)

Is there a virtualization option which would not get messed up if I boot into the partition alone or run it in a vm?

Thanks.