Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: PowerPC - Installing Intrepid (8.10) - No common CD-ROM drive was detected

You should not, IMO, click on "No"; rather, just go to the new terminal, input the command, come back to the prior screen, and select "Yes". That's what I recall I did, with success.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Also, you have apparently downloaded and are trying to install the server version. If it were me, I would go back to the download site and get the alternate iso. From other posts, it appears that there is no final Desktop edition for 8.10 ppc.

Beans

Thanks!

It was changing the ISO that fixed it. The server one DID NOT work!

Beans

After installing 8.4 and having it be really odd and buggy i am trying to install 8.10.

System Ibook G4 900 mhz

I am getting the same problems as other people with not finding the cd drive. But the given advice does not work for me. After doing it and going back to the main screen if fails to find the cd drive. Also the CD drive keeps reading over and over in a loop.

if i try again detecting hangs at 0%

Beans

Just as a note for 12" powerbook users - the key sequence for me was Fn+Apple+F2/F1

This then switched consoles

Matt

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tiresia View Post
    The ubuntu-8.10-alternate-powerpc Installer-CD failes to detect the CD-ROM Drive.

After choosing Language, Country and Keyboard-Layout, the Installer tries to detect the CD-ROM, but you get following massage:

"No common CD-ROM drive was detected
    You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from a floppy... Otherwise you willl be give the option to manually select CD-ROM modules. Load drivers from Floppy? - Yes - No"

Answer 'No' to the question and

SOLUTION
    Switch to a second console pressing ctrl+alt+F2
    Press Enter to activate that console
    Type:
    Code:
    modprobe ide-scsi
    Switch back to the first console pressing ctrl+alt+F1
    You got another question:
    "Manually select a CD-ROM module and device?"
    Say 'Yes' and choose the right option for you.
    Most probably you have to choose 'cdrom' or 'cdrom0'

If it fails again, go back to the 'Debian Installer Main Menu'
    and choose again the option 'Detect and mount a CD-ROM'
    Now it should work!

::::::: ::::::: ::::::: ::::::: ::::::: :::::::
    For more information:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/260608
    Thanks to olalirole for this workaround!!!
    ok...I am trying to load this on an old emac g4 ppc. I get to the screen that reads

"No common CD-ROM drive was detected
    You may need to load additional CD-ROM drivers from a floppy... Otherwise you willl be give the option to manually select CD-ROM modules. Load drivers from Floppy? - Yes - No"

i select no, and immediately another screen pops up that reads

No common cd-rom drive wass detected.
    your cd-rom may be an old Mitsumi or another non-IDE, non-SCSI cd-rom drive. In that case you should choose which module to load and the device to use. If you dont know which module and device are needed, look for some documentation or try a network installation instead of a cd-rom installation.
    manually select a cd-rom drive module and device? <yes> <no>

I have tried the ctrl+alt+f2 a number of times on this, and the first screen, and have tried every additional combination of alt, ctrl, apple, and f2 at both screens as well. I don't have an fn key on my keyboard. I might be completely missing something here, and would appreciate any help.

Also, if it helps, if I select <yes> after the second screen it takes me to this...

the automatic detection didn't find a cd-rom drive. you can try to lad a specific module if you have an unusual cd-rom drive (that is neither IDE nor SCSI).
    Module needed for accessing the cd-rom: <none> <cdrom>

if I select no then it tells me that it failed and to try detecting again...which starts the whole cycle over again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

@tiresia - you are a scholar and a gentleman!! Thank you for figuring this out... I actually have a use for this old powerbook - and I mean old...

Also, just FYI, I had to use FN+ALT+F2 to switch to console. I just kept playing with the keys... now, that I think of it though - you could also, drop to a command prompt from the main menu and issue the modprobe - then go back to mounting the cd... just a thought...

thanks!
    "A drunk comes in off the road. The cup goes round and round, slips and shatters. Cups don't last long around drunks." ~ Rumi

~ If it ain't broke, tweak it! ~

Beans

Add me to the thread. CDROM not detected. The terminal command fixes my PPC 450 dual install of 8.10 alternate ISO.

thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Well well well, I have this 266MHz PPC 256MB ram strawberry Imac, I am trying to install Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex, I have downloaded the alternative version.
    I had this 'no cdrom' problem and the 'modprobe ide-scsi' works perfectly (I do Alt+F2 to get to the other console, and Alt+F3 opens a third console...).
    Anyway, after finishing installation, I reboot and I see the colored Ubuntu splash screen with progression bar moving. Then the progression bar finishes and the screen goes blank (actually the Imac seems going in stand-by, since the power switch turns from green to orange).
    I still can hear HD activity but nothing happens.
    As soon as I touch the power button, Imac turns off.
    I have tried then to start (and also install) Ubuntu with 'video=ofonly' option but it is the same.
    I am not so expert in ground linux, in one of my attempts I got a console request for userid and password, gave them and then I had the prompt, but I didn't now what to digit to get it start, I tried 'start x' but says I need to be root, I try to log as root, but it didn't get the password (actually I setted only one password during installation, it should work...
    Can some of you experts help me?
    Thanx
    Last edited by satiropan; February 9th, 2009 at 06:49 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by calebio View Post
    I believe that computer has a function (fn) key. Try including that in Ctrl-Alt-F2 (so, Ctrl+Alt+Fn+F2). I remember it was either that, or using '2' instead of 'F2', though I can't remember which exactly.
    Thanks! This did the trick.

12" G4 Powerbook here.
    Last edited by latchkeyed; February 10th, 2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Added addl machine information

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast