Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Problem Browsing Network Folders Ubuntu 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problem Browsing Network Folders Ubuntu 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by bab1 View Post
    @HarshReality,

I don't believe this is a Samba problem. It is a Gnome (Nautilus) issue. In all reality it can't be resolved by the folks at samba.org. It appears that this problem is due to Nautilus incorrectly forming requests to the smbd daemon.

The problem is exacerbated further when the user relies on DHCP for IP addressing and does not implement either DNS or NetBIOS naming.
    The result is the same, it shouldnt have made it to a release state. I dont see it asa nautilus issue at all considering the posts previously about the last character dropping off. This is apparent when viewing using firefox.

For a reminder to those just tuning in...
    firefox.. smb://192.168.1.250/ Displays shares which is accessable but once in the shares all the links and filenames are missing the last character. So... seperate program.. same issue.. not a user interface issue.. more the program feeding it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HarshReality; November 10th, 2008 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Update for clarification

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As far as Hardy Heron, it does not have this issue. I have a PC installed with it and I have run every update there is and there is no issue. There was an issue (not the same as here) with 8.04 but it got fixed with 8.04.1.

To be honest I really don't know where the bug is. The same thing also is happening with Fedora 9 and Suse 11.0 and I have tried numerous work-rounds with those distros to no avail.

I am not sure, though, but I don't think it's Nautilus. The reason I say that is because Hardy Heron and Fedora 9 have the same version of Nautilus, 2.22.5.1. Fedora has this problem but Hardy doesn't
    Last edited by GoodPanos; November 11th, 2008 at 04:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

We may in fact be dealing with a couple of issues. However, I have reported a bug, and if you open firefox, type in:

smb://192.168.5.103/Volume_1

Replacing 192.168.5.103 with the IP address of your share and replacing Volume_1 with the share name (this is assuming you do not have a username/pw configured on the share) then you will be presented with a list of directories on your share.

If you see that the last character of your directories is missing, then PLEASE comment on this bug:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/292836

The more attention this gets the faster it will get fixed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I cannot seem to get mine mounted properly either.

My Hardware:

Linksys WRT610N
    SimpleDrive 500GB usb hdd that is plugged into my router

I type:

sudo mount //192.168.1.1/NetworkDrive/public /media/NetworkDrive -o user=admin,pass=*** in terminal and I get the following as an error:

mount: //192.168.1.1/NetworkDrive/public/ is not a valid block device

Additionally, when I navigate to my Network Folder in Firefox, I am able to see all my files just fine, no name mangling, etc.

Any advice?

NVM! I fixed this by installing the proper smb4k package... /facepalm =)
    Last edited by beetee2; November 13th, 2008 at 12:44 AM. Reason: FIXED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by geokok1981 View Post
    The problem goes like this.

1. Windows can see shared files on ubuntu.

2. Nautilus can see shared folders at first. Everything works fine.
    When I share a folder on ubuntu the sharing emblem appears on it.

3. At some random point Nautilus can no longer see the shares on the network. Also the sharing emblem disappears from ubuntu shared folders
    (although they do remain shared).
    *Note: the shares remain active and working. They can be accessed normally from and to windows using the following methods:
    3a. Use firefox to access shared folders
    3b. Use Gnome commander
    3c. Use Places-->Connect to server and add manually the path to the folder.

So this does not seem like a samba issue but like a nautilus issue. Maybe
    something gets screwed when changing the "workgroup" name in samba config, maybe its something with usershares, maybe.....

Do not really know, but it is really annoying having network problems from #1 networking operating system.
    Same problem here. Have tinkered with smb.conf to no avail. "Upgrade" to 8.10 was a mistake for the networking bit. REALLY disappointing. I haven't tried gnome commander. I'm running Xubuntu 8.10. Should I try gnome commander? Any tips or tricks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have a NAS attached to the network. My network consists of the following:
    1. Axesstel CDMA 1xEV-DO Wireless internet receiver
    2. Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router
    3. Mobile LanDisk (this is the NAS) from Premiertek http://www.premiertek.net/products/e...-35-LANII.html

My desktop is connected to the router and I haven't connected a second desktop and a network printer (HP Laserjet 4200n) yet (until I resolve this issue). Also, since I do not have a wireless device yet (I'm getting my daughter a Wii for Christmas), the wireless is disabled. My desktop dual-boots with WinXP which is able to see and access the drive without any problems. The NAS drive is formatted as FAT because it won't recognize another filesystem (although I haven't tried to format the drive as another filesystem to see if the NAS is able to recognize it). When I had 8.04, there was no trouble accessing the drive. When I upgraded to 8.10 is when everything started going wrong. So I do not think that it has anything to do with Samba but with whatever is done when there is an upgrade. Intrepid was supposed to be about perfecting wireless networking capabilities so I believe that in that tweaking is where things went wrong. If I access the drive through Connect to Server, it looks like is going to make the connection and then jumps to my home folder. Accessing it through Firefox only shows me the Public folder (that the share folder accessible to anyone in the network) but not its contents. I'm able to connect to the NAS configuration page without problems so I know there is no connection problems. Gnome Commander is not able to see the share.
    ¡Levántate!, ¡Revuélvete!, ¡Resiste!
    Haz como el toro acorralado: ¡muge!
    O como el toro que no muge: ¡EMBISTE!
    - José de Diego, En la brecha -

Beans

I'm having similar problems now too. I'm actually on a Windows XP host machine with VirtualBox and Ubuntu 8.10 guest. I could always connect to a network share just fine with 8.04, but not anymore, yet it can access the internet just fine. The XP box can access the drives just fine. If I manually type in the server and share under the "connect to server" menu item, it still cannot connect.

Beans

Here is what I have seen at my location. This problem seems to happen only with new installs. Upgrades still connect fine. I also have the Buffalo linkstation 250.
    *new* If I type in the IP address instead of the netbios name in the nautilus window, I can connect fine too. For some reason the new window manager or samba doesn't work with the netbios name. Though, I assume it's just a setting somewhere because the computers that kept their existing configurations files (upgraded) still connect fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by brycesteiner View Post
    Here is what I have seen at my location. This problem seems to happen only with new installs. Upgrades still connect fine. I also have the Buffalo linkstation 250.
    *new* If I type in the IP address instead of the netbios name in the nautilus window, I can connect fine too. For some reason the new window manager or samba doesn't work with the netbios name. Though, I assume it's just a setting somewhere because the computers that kept their existing configurations files (upgraded) still connect fine.

In my case the 8.10 was an "upgrade," from 8.04 LT, and SMB is definitely broken. I'm considering uninstalling samba and trying to do a clean reinstall. Has anyone tried that?

Beans

Post Re: Problem Browsing Network Folders Ubuntu 8.10

I have the same problem but with a small variation. I don't know if this will shed any light on the problem.

When I browse shares on my Windows network, I can see the folders but only MOST of them are blank showing 0 items. A couple of them do display correctly. Those that do display correctly only have a few files in them. The ones that don't display correctly have a large number of files in them. This may only be coincidence but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps.

Other note: I have servers on the network running Windows and 3 Linux servers running Samba. When browsing SMB the failures occur regardless of the base OS.

My install was an automatic upgrade from Heron.

David

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast