Thread: Not sure

Beans

Not sure

I very new to using Raid in linux...My new Hp computer came shipped with 2 raid drives(2x 320gb) and have heard many thing about setting up raids and such on ubuntu...But I think that I got a software raid called NVIDIA MediaShield™ Storage...

Now I want to know how to do one of 2 things...

First how well does 8.10 install on raid system....Is it something where I can just use the guide installer and it will work?

2ed how do I remove the array/raid... I want to make them a master and slave drive how do I do it?

and I have read the https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Raid and still do not understand..

Beans

Re: Not sure

I guess the starting place here should be what kind of raid do you want to set up.

Are you looking for raid0 (2 dives acting as 1)

or raid1 a Mirror?

Beans

raid0

Beans

From the looks of things the NVIDIA MediaShield is hardware raid so you should be able to do into your Bios and set up the drive as a striped set (raid0) and you should have no trouble installing ubuntu as it will be your motherboard handling the work.

This being said I have never used the NVIDIA MediaShield and have only installed Ubuntu server on a system using hardware raid.

Beans

So does the striped set make 2 diffrent 320 HDD?

Does Grub pick this out?

and yes NVIDIA MediaShield has it's own bois...and I thought haveing hardware raid was rare...

Here somthing I post a while back if it helps

Hey guys I just got my new computer...and Sabayon and ubuntu runs like a dream on it Video,Sound,Wifi all work out of the box on the live cd.....But I got a new HP Pavilion Elite m9300z with a 640GB RAID 0 (2 x 320GB SATA HDDs).and I heaving a hard time installing both Sabayon and ubuntu.... I chould really use some help...

Here something I post on the sabayon forums but got no reply

Are you installing using auto partition ?
    No manual but I have tried AUTO it just format the whole drive and grub still doesnt load...

If so have you added to grub.conf
    dolvm2 doscsi dodmraid
    or is it dordraid , too long ago to remember.
    Would I do it from a live cd...If you can find the code I need that be very helpfulk

Do you have say a 128mb ext2 partition for /boot separate from the raid ? to help get it started .
    I tried that once it dident make much difference

Is the raid controller configured ie: hardware or software / lvm partition.
    SOmthing called NVIDIA® MediaShield™ Storage

Also check grub version and kernel it was build on as you might have to build a custom grub + kernel for booting the raid .
    It the stock 3.5 kernel and grub... and if ubuntu can do it why cant Sabayon?(Yes I know there diffrent seeing as one use Gentoo and other use Deb)

Is there a easy way to remove the Raid? I wont mind haveing 1 320 if it saves me alot of trouble..

If you have anything else that might help feel free to post it.
    Still looking to get any help on this..

I going to wait till the 8.10 becomes gold before installing ubuntu..... and I going to install ubuntu 64 bit...
    Last edited by vanden12; October 31st, 2008 at 05:15 AM.

Beans

a striped set set is 2 hard drives working as 1. thus giving you 640 gigs of hard drive space and faster read/write access. The down side being that if 1 drive fails everything is gone. Grub should be fine (once again based on my experience with Server equipment). And you are correct hardware raid on consumer level hardware is rare.

Beans

So just makeing sure...

I dont have to to anything in the cmd line before install ubuntu... It just install after I format my raid into a striped..

I backing up my data now...

Beans

To the best of my Knowlege on the subject. But I was using high end server hardware lets see if we can get some confomation from someone that has used consumer grade equipment.

Beans

If it fails whould Wubi be somthing do use?

Beans

Can I get someone to confomation?By anyone else..