Thread: A few minor questions about 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A few minor questions about 8.10

I just upgraded tonight, and I'm very pleased with everything. I love the new updated software that I use very frequently, and I love the new DarkRoom theme.

Aside from that, I've noticed that a few things run a bit sluggish, but not sluggish as to where I'm extremely concerned. Things that run slow are the Compiz Cube, and just average scrolling through web pages with Firefox, or scrolling through Music or Picture folders in Nautilus, and flipping through windows using Windows *Super* Key + Tab.

Is this normal? My specs should be plenty enough:
    -Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.60GHz
    -2 GB DDR2 RAM
    -384 MB of shared video memory
    Last edited by johnnyxxxcakes; October 31st, 2008 at 03:23 AM.
    John's Playground | My Google Profile

Linux user since April 28th, 2008.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A few minor questions about 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyxxxcakes View Post
    I just upgraded tonight, and I'm very pleased with everything. I love the new updated software that I use very frequently, and I love the new DarkRoom theme.

Aside from that, I've noticed that a few things run a bit sluggish, but not sluggish as to where I'm extremely concerned. Things that run slow are the Compiz Cube, and just average scrolling through web pages with Firefox, or scrolling through Music or Picture folders in Nautilus, and flipping through windows using Windows *Super* Key + Tab.

Is this normal? My specs should be plenty enough:
    -Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.60GHz
    -2 GB DDR2 RAM
    -384 MB of shared video memory
    For some reason I've noticed this every now and then. Best bet is to do a full reboot and the problem goes away. I'm not quite sure what triggers it, or if it is only relevant to my machine. My specs are very similar to yours.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

my guess is that some aspect of the new release is causing certain things to have different gpu priority, so it tries to do some things more then others (or do at all), slowing down the cube and such other graphic stuffs. Nothing you can really do about it, 'cept hope somebody happens to find the line of code and fix it in an update.
    "life's sweet, so photograph it; that way someone else can see how sweet it truly was..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm downloading 8.10 as of now, but something similar happened to me with Hardy Heron. I am constantly battling against memory being swapped out. I read somewhere that it's due to Xorg with the nVidia blob driver.

I haven't bought more memory yet, so I just restart firefox and use $ sudo swapoff; sudo swapon; to clear the swap.

However, since your computer shares memory with the GPU, I think its safe to say that your system swaps out more often, especially with Compiz on. Have you tried changing the swappiness to something lower than the default? (use $ cat /proc/sys/vm/swappiness to see what it is currently set to)

Quote Originally Posted by pirattrev View Post
    my guess is that some aspect of the new release is causing certain things to have different gpu priority, so it tries to do some things more then others (or do at all), slowing down the cube and such other graphic stuffs. Nothing you can really do about it, 'cept hope somebody happens to find the line of code and fix it in an update.
    Maybe they changed the default swappiness value?
    Last edited by El Chupacabras; October 31st, 2008 at 03:36 AM.
    [Launchpad][Website]

Linux user since December 2005.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyxxxcakes View Post
    I noticed the slow scrolling in Firefox with 8.10 even after all the normal tweaks. I tried a new Firefox profile and that didn't help either. Finally, I restored 8.05, and Firefox scrolling speed increased significantly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabras View Post
    I'm downloading 8.10 as of now, but something similar happened to me with Hardy Heron. I am constantly battling against memory being swapped out. I read somewhere that it's due to Xorg with the nVidia blob driver.
    It could be the swapping issue, which I'll have to read up on. I don't use an nVIDIA graphics card though. I believe I have an Intel Mobile Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 graphics card, but it could all be related to the same issue.
    John's Playground | My Google Profile

Linux user since April 28th, 2008.