Thread: [SOLVED] Atheros Wi-Fi broken in 8.10 final

Beans

[SOLVED] Atheros Wi-Fi broken in 8.10 final

Title says it all. The PC is an Acer Aspire One netbook with an Atheros wifi chipset built in. I had installed Alpha 4 previously (I believe it was 4 at least) and the wifi connection did not function until I plugged in a cat5 cable and did a system update (which I believe at the time consisted of a new kernel amongst other things.) After rebooting the wireless worked fine.

Now that the final release of 8.10 is out, I decided to do a clean install and assumed the wifi would work fine out of the box. Unfortunately, after installing and applying any available updates I'm unable to get it to function. "Hardware Drivers" tells me that the drivers for the device are installed and it is in use, but no wireless connections come up under the Network Manager. Deactivating/reactivating the drivers had no effect.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Atheros Wi-Fi broken in 8.10 final

look here there is discussion regarding issue and either intrepid back ports or compiling madwifi
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894852&page=6

Beans

Thanks. Installing the backports and adding modprobe ath5k to rc.local did it. I assume this is the driver that the alpha used before they switched over to the current one which doesn't appear to work. Makes me wonder why they'd switch, especially so close to release.

Here's another question for anyone willing to answer:
    This has been bothering me in the alpha as well. I have the Network Manager set to auto connect to my home wifi network at bootup. Each time Ubuntu starts it asks for the default keyring password. Is there any way to remove the keyring password on the wifi? I don't want it to require a password just to get an internet connection.

Thanks again.

Beans

I installed linux-image-rt from multiverse and the ar5007 driver worked. Just throwing out another option that maybe easy.

Beans

Thanks, I'll look into it Do the LED indicators work with those drivers? The ath5k drivers I'm using now don't seem to make any use of the LEDs.

Beans

led did work in previous hardy kernel. Intrepid I'm afraid so far ours doesn't light.

Beans

That's a shame, but oh well, it's not really a big deal.

Bump for keyring question.

edit: I suppose I'll ask the keyring question again some other time. I'll mark this as solved for now.
    Last edited by Westies; October 31st, 2008 at 06:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I ended up having to install a driver via ndiswrapper - was very disappointed when the 'final' kernel wiped out the wi-fi.
    Windows is the best virus detector on the market!
    Ubuntu attracts Human Beings - Windows attracts viruses and worms

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bumanie View Post
    I ended up having to install a driver via ndiswrapper - was very disappointed when the 'final' kernel wiped out the wi-fi.
    Agree! I have had no problem with this card since Warty!! I'm sticking with Hardy for now. I have tested for three years and I am ready to settle down.WNA 1330 Dlink, not happy with Intrepid.
    Last edited by psycosmyth; November 1st, 2008 at 04:16 AM. Reason: added
    Dell inspiron 1200 (1995)
    Toshiba sattelite 655d (2011)
    and a pile of iphones