Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: [SOLVED] 8.10 on Aluminum macbook issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 8.10 on Aluminum macbook issues

Quote Originally Posted by m.musashi View Post
    EDIT: I went and took a closer look at the 11-x11-synaptics.fdi file and I'm guessing that changing a 0 to a 1 in a merge line turns the option from off to on. I when ahead and did that for TapButton1 and now a single finger tap works. Very nice. However, I noticed that changes to TapButton2 and TapButton3 have no effect. Also, I'm guessing that RBCornerButton refers to the option is OSX to have the bottom right corner be a right click. I set that to 1 as well with no effect. Are these simply options that are not working yet or am I doing something wrong? Thanks.
    Actually, I think for those button options, the number you set tells the option what button it emulates, with 1 = left mouse button, 2 = middle mouse button, 3 = right mouse button. So to make the Right Bottom Corner act as the right mouse button, you should set RBCornerButton = 3

The same is true for the TapButtonX options. TapButton1 is the single-finger tap, TapButton2 is a two-finger tap, etc. So if I wanted to make a two-finger tap be a right click I would set TapButton2 = 3.

You can find details of all the synaptics options in the man page
    Code:
    man synaptics

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    Actually, I think for those button options, the number you set tells the option what button it emulates, with 1 = left mouse button, 2 = middle mouse button, 3 = right mouse button. So to make the Right Bottom Corner act as the right mouse button, you should set RBCornerButton = 3

The same is true for the TapButtonX options. TapButton1 is the single-finger tap, TapButton2 is a two-finger tap, etc. So if I wanted to make a two-finger tap be a right click I would set TapButton2 = 3.
    Ah, now I get it. It all works beautifully now but the bottom right corner stuff still doesn't seem to have any effect yet.

Thanks. Although, now that the tapping works I'm stuck with the other issue of inadvertent touches moving the cursor around when I'm trying to type. It's always something . I'll play around with things now that it's all more or less working and see what seems the best solution for me.

Thanks to cyberdork33 and kosumi68 for all the help. I'm marking it solved now but if any additional info comes to light on the touchpad, sound, screen brightness, etc. I'd appreciate hearing. I'll watch the wiki too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, one more little issue. I've noticed that it doesn't want to wake up from sleep mode. It go in just fine and the little light "breathes" but when trying to wake by pressing the space bar I here a drive or some other sound that indicates it is trying to wake but nothing happens. If I hold the power button for a few seconds sometimes it wakes and sometimes not. If I hold it too long it just shuts off.

Is there a tweak to fix this or just another issue to live with for now?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by m.musashi View Post
    Is there a tweak to fix this or just another issue to live with for now?
    Probably something that will need work to fix. Suspend almost never just works on new hardware. It is likely something to do with the graphics driver not waking correctly.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just an addition about power management for anyone watching this. I noticed that it is just taking a long time to wake. After pressing a button to start the waking process, it takes about 30 seconds for it to actually wake up but it does. It then takes about 15 seconds more (after entering password to unlock screen) for the wifi to start searching again for a connection. However, it also connects and continues working.

Therefore, it seems that it is slow to wake but it does work. I was just being impatient. This might be good for others to know.

Beans

Hi!

Again, not really sure where to post this (or make a new thread). I left the MBP aluminum to run till it eats all battery power up. And I can confirm that the last message stated the computer is about to shut-down (with power left for less than a minute!) and it turned-off (=powered off) while the shut-down process was on-going. I have "show text during boot" enabled (through StartUp-Manager) and the computer never really made to complete the shut-down process.

I assume this is not normal. Can anybody else test this? Do we need a bug report?

Kind regards, Nikos

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234