Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Broadcom Wireless for 8.10

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Broadcom Wireless for 8.10

Quote Originally Posted by brandon88tube View Post
    Yeah, they tried to improve wireless with this release, but it seems that it did more harm. This is very disheartening and I might just go back to 8.04.1 because I also have an issue where my fan won't turn on in 8.10, which will eventually fry my laptop. Getting back to the wireless though, it would be helpful if other Broadcom users that have their wireless working, if they could post what worked for them.
    It is looking like your card is not wanting to connect with the wl driver. Can you try the following again:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
    sudo modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip
    sudo modprobe wl
    lsmod|grep -e wl -e b43
    dmesg|grep 'wl '
    The lsmod portion is checking to see what modules are being loaded for the wireless card. The dmesg command is looking to see if any error messages are coming up for the wl driver.

You also have the other option of using the b43 driver. It will require you to have to download the firmware. I am going to post (in the next post) the instructions on what to download if you don't have a working connection in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

For those of you who don't have a working connection in Ubuntu and cannot use the wl driver, here are some instructions on what to download so that you can install it in Ubuntu:

This will only work in Intrepid (and not the older versions of Ubuntu). This is a revised version of this thread(changed because the firmware is different in Intrepid):

Option 2
    For those without a working internet connection

If you have a Intrepid install CD,
    Insert your CD and do the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-cdrom add
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install b43-fwcutter
    Make sure that you say no or cancel when the installer asks you to find/download the firmware for you. It will get stuck because it is thinking that there is an internet connection.
    Now skip down to the Downloading Firmware section.

If you don't have a Intrepid install CD
    You will have to find a place with a working internet connection. Go to this link:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/utils/b43-fwcutter
    Download the version that you need--amd64 for 64-bit and i386 for 32-bit. Copy the file to your home directory and do the following:
    64-bit:
    Code:
    cd
    sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter_011-4ubuntu1_amd64.deb
    It is possible that the _011-4ubuntu1_ portion is another number.
    Make sure that you say no or cancel when the installer asks you to find/download the firmware for you. It will get stuck because it is thinking that there is an internet connection.

32-bit:
    Code:
    cd
    sudo dpkg -i b43-fwcutter_011-4ubuntu1_i386.deb
    It is possible that the _011-4ubuntu1_ portion is another number.

Downloading Firmware
    Both 32-bit and 64-bit:
    You will still need to find someplace with a working internet connection and download the following files:
    Code:
    http://downloads.openwrt.org/sources/wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
    http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    Copy those files to your home directory. In the Terminal/Konsole/xterm window do the following:
    Code:
    cd
    sudo b43-fwcutter -w /lib/firmware wl_apsta-3.130.20.0.o
    tar xfvj broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5.tar.bz2
    sudo b43-fwcutter --unsupported -w /lib/firmware broadcom-wl-4.150.10.5/driver/wl_apsta_mimo.o
    sudo chmod o+rx /lib/firmware/b43 /lib/firmware/b43legacy
    sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    For those of you who are configuring your /etc/network/interfaces, you might need to do:
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    That will restarting your network and will read through the /etc/networking/interfaces to connect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Please try the following:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb wl
    sudo modprobe ieee80211_crypt_tkip
    sudo modprobe wl
    sudo modprobe b44
    it worked! thank you so much!

just wondering, what did those commands do? and why "sudo modprobe b44" instead of "sudo modprobe b43"?

and i should just use the wl driver instead of the broadcom b43 driver?

once again, thx

Beans

Am I missing something here?

All I had to do to enable wireless is turn on the wireless card, at least since the 2.6.24-21 kernel release. Then it works out of the box better than the windows driver ever did (I did go through the hoops to get wireless in hardy).

And I have the Broadcomm 4318 wireless card, before anyone asks.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by malachi1990 View Post
    Am I missing something here?

All I had to do to enable wireless is turn on the wireless card, at least since the 2.6.24-21 kernel release. Then it works out of the box better than the windows driver ever did (I did go through the hoops to get wireless in hardy).

And I have the Broadcomm 4318 wireless card, before anyone asks.
    The Broadcom STA (wl) driver does not support the 4318 card you will not be able to get your card to work without downloading something. Your card might work with the b43 driver (it appears that Intrepid is working better with them than Hardy), but the system needs to download the firmware. The other route is also ndiswrapper.

Beans

The Broadcom STA (wl) driver does not support the 4318 card you will not be able to get your card to work without downloading something. Your card might work with the b43 driver (it appears that Intrepid is working better with them than Hardy), but the system needs to download the firmware. The other route is also ndiswrapper.
    Thanks for that info. It's just that since the 2.6.24-21 kernel release, the linux driver has flawlessly supported my wireless (out of the box, w/out downloading anything that I can tell), which has left me surprised. And a bit confused as to why these problems exist for others.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by billli View Post
    it worked! thank you so much!

just wondering, what did those commands do? and why "sudo modprobe b44" instead of "sudo modprobe b43"?

and i should just use the wl driver instead of the broadcom b43 driver?

once again, thx
    OK, so I tried the exact same thing with the modprobe commands, and I noticed that this worked for me too! Is there like a script I can write to get this working correctly right on computer bootup? I would definitely want this to be done automatically without manually executing the commands/script. Thanks! This has been a huge help!

Update: Actually I found that script and I tested it! It does work. Earlier in the email thread, a person created a file /etc/modprobe.d/wl, and it does work! I'm glad to finally be rid of these annoying wireless problems. Yes!!!
    Last edited by el2king; November 1st, 2008 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Update to my inquiry

Beans

You will need to check and see if you have a Broadcom wired network card. If you go into the Terminal and type:
    Code:
    lshw -C network
    If you see a Broadcom 44xx series card, then you have the b44 driver. That means you will have to remove that driver before you can remove the ssb:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper wl
    sudo modprobe b43 
    sudo modprobe b44
    I have a 4312 Broadcom card

My result for the above:

kolibri@Fruhling:~$ lshw -C network
    WARNING: you should run this program as super-user.
    *-network
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
    vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:09:00.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 12
    serial: 00:1d:09:3d:21:c1
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.45 latency=0 module=sky2 multicast=yes
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: BCM4312 802.11b/g
    vendor: Broadcom Corporation
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:0b:00.0
    logical name: eth1
    version: 01
    serial: 00:16:44:7b:e4:ab
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=wl latency=0 module=wl multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
    *-network DISABLED
    description: Ethernet interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: pan0
    serial: ce:e4:83:5f:c5:13
    capabilities: ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes
    kolibri@Fruhling:~$ sudo modprobe -r b43 b44 ssb ndiswrapper wl
    kolibri@Fruhling:~$ sudo modprobe b43
    kolibri@Fruhling:~$ sudo modprobeb44
    sudo: modprobeb44: command not found
    kolibri@Fruhling:~$ sudo modprobe b44
    kolibri@Fruhling:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces... Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
    [ OK ]
    kolibri@Fruhling:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
    * Reconfiguring network interfaces... Ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0.
    [ OK ]

(how do I put that stuff in a scrolling box so i don't take up the whole page?)

It didn't seem to do anything, I think I'm going to try a clean install of intrepid rather than an upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks Ayuthia will give that a try.

Iain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How come I can download and run Puppy Linux from a USB stick and my Broadcom Wifi works first time (the first time this has ever happened) and yet when I try every live CD for Ubuntu I have never had any joy whatsoever? I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 and I'd love to be able to use Linux but find the whole thing so frustrating I go back to Windows XP every time.

Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast