Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Why must one install GNOME? I don't want GNOME and am considering trying something similar to the how-to states but with reconstructor.

Couldn't I just:
    * replace the sources list in a Kubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 Disc/ISO with the one provided above.
    * add the KDE3 repo to the sources list
    * add the GPG key
    * apt-get update from the chroot environment
    * apt-get upgrade or dist-upgrade

...Leaving me with a GNOME free KDE3 Intrepid?

Beans
    Distro

Why must one install GNOME? I don't want GNOME and am considering trying something similar to the how-to states but with reconstructor.

Couldn't I just:
    * replace the sources list in a Kubuntu Hardy 8.04.1 Disc/ISO with the one provided above.
    * add the GPG key

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by red_team316 View Post

Couldn't I just:
    * add the GPG key

Yes. You don't even need to log out of KDE when you perform the upgrade.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist159 View Post
    OK, can you try something for me? Go to your home directory from the command line (do not have KDE active at this point--just switch to a virtual terminal and log in). Execute
    Code:
    mv .kde .kde-old
    and switch back to KDM or GDM and try to log in again. KDE4 will really crud up the .kde settings folder causing all kinds of weird issues like the ones you describe.

WiFi and networking in general are known problems, and the fault does not lie with me. Try complaining to the KNetworkManager people who broke WiFi support in Intrepid (technically, KNetworkManager was not properly updated to handle the new 0.7 networkmanager backend, so nm-applet is the only networkmanager frontend that will work).

Regarding memory usage, did you have Firefox open at the time (or at all since you started the computer)? There was a bug with Firefox, Flash and the new Xorg that sounds similar to your description--not sure if it is fixed now or not.

Hope this helps,

Tim
    Just realized I forgot to address the sound issue. This is a rather well-known problem with the extremely buggy ARTS sound system. What I always do, and what those who are going to keep KDE3.5 should do, is to bypass ARTS. To do this, disable the sound system in Kcontrol-->Sound System and uncheck "Enable sound system", then click Apply. Then go to Kcontrol-->System Notifications and click "Player Settings" and select "Use an external player". In the "Player" textbox type mplayer

If you don't already have mplayer installed, be sure to install it. Sound should then work, and you will find it to be far more stable and less of a pain overall than the old ARTS system.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by curuxz View Post
    OK here are my main list of faults with your KDE 3.5 for 8.10 fix

- The taskbar and panel over lap in corners (i have one down the right side and one along the bottom, VERY annoying)

- Like the taskbars, desktop icons refuse to see the panel too so they go under it, again annoying.

- Networking is FUBAR, i had to manually override the config even with your suggestion above.

- sound is DEAD

- WiFi is DEAD

- System performance is now very very low, even after I disabled all fancy effects mem usage for Xorg is just under 1 gig!!!!! This may just be the new version but stupid memory requirements seem very very vista'ish

Sorry no specific errors since they all just 'dont work' and as much as I would like to route around and fix them I have a major web site launch this weekend and really did not need this mamoth waste of time.

KDE & Kubuntu devs have really sold out the hard working power user with this update. I am really sad.
    For the taskbar you must recreate or at least in my case I did in this way.

For the sound and wifi does not depend by the kde 3 but is general problem, try to install:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-firmware
    ah, pls for networking in kde you must nm-applet of gnome as indicated on post 1
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/
    ------------------------------------------------

curuxz is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

This weekend this shoddy upgrade has cost me over 10 working hours, backing up and reinstalling.

I am sorry I am no longer in 8.10 and I wont be going back any time soon. Much as I would love to route around fixing things there is no real benefit at all to me!

It is broken all over the place, why they chose to ruin kubuntu I simply do not know.

I am grateful for what you are trying to do but I simply do not have time to clean up after the mess of the kubuntu devs, I need my machine to work. I spend a lot of time being active for the open source community and I preach stability to non-linux users every day. If just one of the many many people I have gotten to switch to linux uses this upgrade I will be made to look stupid.

The kubuntu devs have done us a GREAT dis-service.

Beans
    Distro

I know it sucks curuxz, I will definitely keeping Hardy as my main OS.

I am however trying this and will post a separate tutorial on how to do it with reconstructor if I am successful.

BTW, how will this affect installing other programs. I know krusader isn't complete yet for KDE4 but I want it installed also. How do I know that if I install another program it is going to be the KDE3 version and not KDE4?

Beans
    Distro

I know it sucks curuxz, I will definitely keeping Hardy as my main OS.

I am however trying this and will post a separate tutorial on how to do it with reconstructor if I am successful.

BTW, how will this affect installing other programs. I know krusader isn't complete yet for KDE4 but I want it installed also. How do I know that if I install another program it is going to be the KDE3 version and not KDE4?
    The KDE3 versions all have a 7 in front of their version number. If you go into Synaptic and search for krusader you will probably see two packages--simply select the version you would like and deselect the one you don't.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I made an ISO with reconstructor. After doing a bazillion apt-get updates upgrades dist-upgrades dpkg --configure -a apt-get -f installs, I finally got it to say that everything is up to date(other than dolphin and kde-powermanager which I don't care about)

I fired up my ISO with kvm/qemu and everything seems to go fine until it logs in. I have no mouse/keyboard. Same problem I'd had with starting a chrooted X in intrepid(both vanilla ubuntu and kubuntu).

Any ideas whats wrong? If I can't get it working in kvm, I'm not going to burn a disc.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I made an ISO with reconstructor. After doing a bazillion apt-get updates upgrades dist-upgrades dpkg --configure -a apt-get -f installs, I finally got it to say that everything is up to date(other than dolphin and kde-powermanager which I don't care about)

I fired up my ISO with kvm/qemu and everything seems to go fine until it logs in. I have no mouse/keyboard. Same problem I'd had with starting a chrooted X in intrepid(both vanilla ubuntu and kubuntu).

Any ideas whats wrong? If I can't get it working in kvm, I'm not going to burn a disc.
    I have a fuzzy idea...blackbelt_jones found the same problem with his install. I have yet to run across it myself, so I can't fix it at this point.

From what he has told me, KDM is the only problem. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the new Xorg and/or possibly a missing extension in the new Intrepid system. What I would suggest is to use GDM for now--it works perfectly with KDE and, honestly, it looks a lot nicer when themed properly.

Let me know if this works or not.

Can you install Intrepid with KDE3.5 from your new LiveCD? If so, that is excellent work! I would be willing to host it if you don't have the bandwidth to do so...

Tim

EDIT: Oh wait, I missed where you said it was not restricted to KDE3.5 It's way too late to be posting I guess!

Try it in VirtualBox (my favorite) or VMWare. Intrepid's kernel may have problems with anything else.
    Last edited by madscientist159; November 3rd, 2008 at 03:42 AM.

Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast