Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

TekkieFreak,

Know anything about Bluetooth? Apparently the current bluez is completely incompatible with KDE3.5, and there is some heavy recoding to do on the KDE3.5 end of things.

All,

I spoke with the Kubuntu developers this morning. Basically, I will provide a script to migrate from the current "epoch 7" repository to the new -kde3 repository, and I will start the patch & rebuild process ASAP.

The good side of this is that the official KDE4 and KDE3.5 will finally be able to coexist, and I see no reason why I can't also package KDE3.5 for Jaunty. There is even the possibility of this going semi-official, but don't hold your breath.

The downside is that I have no idea how long this is going to take. I have to learn the PPA system and a few other tools...

Long term, I might be able to help KDE4 include some missing KDE3.5 options. We'll see if the KDE devs get there first though. KDE4.2 added a "standard desktop" option, so that will make a lot of people (myself included) very happy.

Status updates will be posted here as I make progress.

Tim
    Last edited by madscientist159; November 19th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/