Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How-to install HP Data Protector on Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.04

Beans

How-to install HP Data Protector on Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.04

At work, we have a storagetek tape backup library and the software we use is HP Data Protector 6.0.

The Data Protector server console is call the cell manager.
    To backup a server with the library, I need to install the Disk Agent client on it.

Pre-requisite:
    1. The Cell Manager need to be already installed and running
    2. You should be able to resolv the name of the Cell Manager from the Disk Agent client
    3. If you have a firewall, the port 5555 should be open

For clarity and ease of understanding, I will call ClientServer the server were I want to install the Data Protector Disk Agent client (this is the one that will be backup by the library).
    The Data Protector server console server will be call CellManagerSrv.

I succeeded in installing the HP Data Protector Disk Agent client onto my 32 bits Ubuntu 6.06 server, with the following steps.

First things first, open up a console on the ClientServer and let's get into "root" mode:
    Code:
    $ sudo -s
    Type in your password.

The installation programs that come on the installation DVD are in rpm format.
    So we need to install the rpm manager with:
    Code:
    # aptitude install rpm
    We then need to create a directory for rpm :
    Code:
    # mkdir -p /var/lib/rpm
    then initialize a database for it:
    Code:
    # rpm --initdb
    Great ! Next, the Disk Agent client will use inetd to listen on port 5555 and start is client.
    We have to install inetd with:
    Code:
    # aptitude install netkit-inetd
    Done !

Insert the DVD named: "HP Data Protector Starter Pack for HP-UX, Solaris and Linux Version 6.0" and mount it:
    Code:
    # mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
    Let's start that install, shall we ?
    Code:
    # cd /media/cdrom/LOCAL_INSTALL
    # ./omnisetup.sh -server CellManagerSrv -install da
    Here are some check points to validate your installation:

Code:
    # tail /etc/services
    the last two lines should read:
    Code:

# Local services
    omni  5555/tcp     # DATA-PROTECTOR
    Code:
    # grep omni /etc/inetd.conf
    You should have:
    Code:
    omni stream tcp nowait root /opt/omni/lbin/inet inet -log /var/opt/omni//log/inet.log

You'll need to test if the new program will respond on the 5555 port.

Let's try that from the CellManagerSrv with telnet:
    Code:
    telnet ClientServer 5555
    If you have a responce, you now may import that new server into your cell manager from the Data Protector console and you're done !

Best regards,

Imbo

Beans

Re: How-to install HP Data Protector on Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.04

So far everything you described worked here. The installation of the client went smooth. But how do you perform a backup in DataProtector GUI on the cell manager?

I see the linux client, but if I create a new job for this client and run it, I get the message:

All mountpoints on host "linux" are excluded.

Nothing will be backed up.

Then the backup session fails. I tried to configure some file trees in the backup object summary, but this did not work.

Any hint?

Beans

In your cell manager, in the client drop down list, you want to import your Ubuntu server that as the Disk Agent installed.
    I have specified the ip address of my Ubuntu server instead of the name, because my Ubuntu server was not yet included in the windows DNS.

After this, your Ubuntu server will be listed in the client list.
    Now you'll be able to back it up as a client.

Your error message looks like you tried to back it up in the "share" mode (a sort of nfs or samba type) , instead of backing it up as a client.

Try that and keep me posted !

Imbo

Beans

The problem was that the Linux system was running inside a VServer virtualization environment. It seems that this does not work with the DataProtector Disk Agent, perhaps due to the network virtualization.

I tested the DP Disk Agent on a Debian Etch system which is running directly on hardware - and it works!

Should work on Ubuntu too because your tutorial worked also on Debian Etch

Thanks for your how-to and your answer!

Beans

This is a great how-to. Very simple to follow.

I only had one problem...I couldn't get the Starter Pack (we already have our licenses), so i downloaded all of the UX and Linux software I could find and started to run the install command against each version.

The one I found to function is - B6960-10020 - HP Data Protector for HP-UX IA-64 - Installation Server 1 of 2 (CD ISO image) from https://h20392.www2.hp.com/portal/sw...umber=DP60SWD1

Copying it to the server and executing the install in the LOCAL_INSTALL dir had me backing up my server in 10 minutes. It even imported the server into the cell for me.

The full command I ran was -
    # sudo ./omnisetup.sh -server FQDN.of.Cell.Manager -install da

I think I am going to go one step further and will install the Installation Server so I can push from the Cell Manager.

Again, thanks for the how-to. Much appreciated.
    Last edited by TWGTech; November 8th, 2007 at 05:38 AM.

Beans

Thank you for the simple instructions. I tried these instructions on Gentoo 2007.0 and they worked great (there were some gentoo specific differences. I had to use emerge to get the rpm utilities instead of aptitude).

The download links for the CDs in the previous post worked great for me. I used the HPUX-IA64 CD 1 of 2. My same exact physical CD would not work. Both discs are apparently the same (version 6.0).

I modified my install script command to: ./omnisetup.sh

This allowed me to walk through prompts and install the disk agent and the media agent. I then went into my cell manager and imported my gentoo system. DataProtector has the following info for the Platform of my newly imported system: gpl i686 linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r8 with the disk and media agents at version A 06.00.

One more thing. This instance of Gentoo is running inside a VMWare ESX 3.0.1 server virtual machine.

Beans

I also had to "apt-get install xinetd"

Otherwise it worked like a charm, many thanks!

Beans

Guys i want to install HP DP on ubuntu as client but my ubuntu box is kerberos authenticated how my client get kerberos tickets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by oddworker View Post
    So far everything you described worked here. The installation of the client went smooth. But how do you perform a backup in DataProtector GUI on the cell manager?

I see the linux client, but if I create a new job for this client and run it, I get the message:

All mountpoints on host "linux" are excluded.

Nothing will be backed up.

Then the backup session fails. I tried to configure some file trees in the backup object summary, but this did not work.

Any hint?
    I have the same problem with ubuntuserver 9.10 and dp 6.11 client. Epic fail. I haven't found a solution for this yet

Beans

Unhappy Re: How-to install HP Data Protector on Ubuntu 6.06 and 7.04

I've the same problem with Ubuntu 9.10 and DP 6.0

I managed to install the CORE and DA via remote-push from a Unix Installation Host through the GUI, but somehow the DA fails to work.

The CORE itself is fine, the client installs successfully and gets imported into the cell. However, I'm not able to browse the filesystems and if I start a backup, I get the well-known error
    Code:
    "All mountpoints on host "x.y.z" are excluded."
    The culprit seems to be either the DA, or the connection between Agents and the inet in general. Any ideas where to check...?

HP forum support is a big fail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast