Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

So what is the recommended way to upgrade from Jaunty using KDE 3.5 to Karmic? If none of the package names changed I suppose using the Ubuntu server upgrade tool would work after disabling the 3.5 jaunty repos and then adding the 3.5 karmic repos and doing an apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Does anyone know why this plan would not succeed?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Persistent problem with KDE3 repository updates

For a few months now, after doing sudo apt-get update, everything updates, with this exception:
    Code:
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2  Hash Sum mismatch
    In early November installed Kubuntu Karmic from the CD. The problem persisted.

Just tried the KDE3.5 Repository Installation Instructions on http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html. Same problem.

Maybe I'll have to go to ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu/ and download their dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2 file to update from, or go to their /pool/main/ and look for updated .deb files. But it would be nice to solve this problem. Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by rpeters View Post
    Persistent problem with KDE3 repository updates

For a few months now, after doing sudo apt-get update, everything updates, with this exception:
    Code:
    Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2  Hash Sum mismatch
    In early November installed Kubuntu Karmic from the CD. The problem persisted.

Just tried the KDE3.5 Repository Installation Instructions on http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html. Same problem.

Maybe I'll have to go to ppa.launchpad.net/kde3-maintainers/ppa/ubuntu/ and download their dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.bz2 file to update from, or go to their /pool/main/ and look for updated .deb files. But it would be nice to solve this problem. Any ideas?
    Are you located behind a transparent Internet proxy system?
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Are you located behind a transparent Internet proxy system?
    I'm currently behind what is probably the biggest content filter of all, aka The Great Firewall. But as far as I remember, the problem existed before I came here in August. However - it could be a factor. I can take the laptop along on my next trip outside the proxy area and see if it makes a difference.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nekron29 View Post
    Just installed kde 3.5 in karmik.

Everything went well ( i am using the gnome version of karmic, no kde4) yet i have a problem with the process "kdesktop" it;s taking high load on my cpu - 70-80%. Do you have any idea why ? and what can i do to stop behaving like this.

Also it seems i am not able to do a restart or a shutdown as these options are missing from the start menu.

Using ubuntu 9.10 rc.

thanks
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem, on two different machines with Karmic/kde3 installed two different ways. I run 6 or 8 desktops and only Desktop 1 soaks up massive cpu, with gkrellm reporting 'kdesktop-kde3' as the culprit. The other Desktops are fine, but Desktop 1 exhibits the syndrome any time I visit it.

When I boot with Desktop1 as default, there's a "Monitoring file progress.." pop-up that stays up until I change desktops for the first time, and then it's gone. If I boot into any other desktop but Desktop 1, everything is fine - except when visiting Desktop 1, which again eats up massive CPU time until I go to another desktop.

This happens on exactly the same way on two different machines (and I have several others that are similarly configured but don't exhibit the syndrome at all). Both are up-to-date with the latest upgrades and kernel 2.6.31-16:

1. A Dell Precision 390 desktop with an NVidia GeForce (regardless of which drivers I enable). This was a plain-vanilla Ubuntu install, with KDE-3 installed on top per the usual kde3-maintainers PPA (Pearson method...). The kernel is plain generic.

2. A brand-new Dell Lattitude Z laptop with an Intel GMA X4500 HD adapter. Installed Pearson's Karmic/KDE3 remix from scratch. This one runs the "pae" version of the kernel.

The problem is only manifest when Desktop 1 is active, so the workaround is obvious. But it would be nice to be able to use Desktop 1 as well.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eb53 View Post
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the same problem, on two different machines with Karmic/kde3 installed two different ways. I run 6 or 8 desktops and only Desktop 1 soaks up massive cpu, with gkrellm reporting 'kdesktop-kde3' as the culprit. The other Desktops are fine, but Desktop 1 exhibits the syndrome any time I visit it.

When I boot with Desktop1 as default, there's a "Monitoring file progress.." pop-up that stays up until I change desktops for the first time, and then it's gone. If I boot into any other desktop but Desktop 1, everything is fine - except when visiting Desktop 1, which again eats up massive CPU time until I go to another desktop.

This happens on exactly the same way on two different machines (and I have several others that are similarly configured but don't exhibit the syndrome at all). Both are up-to-date with the latest upgrades and kernel 2.6.31-16:

1. A Dell Precision 390 desktop with an NVidia GeForce (regardless of which drivers I enable). This was a plain-vanilla Ubuntu install, with KDE-3 installed on top per the usual kde3-maintainers PPA (Pearson method...). The kernel is plain generic.

2. A brand-new Dell Lattitude Z laptop with an Intel GMA X4500 HD adapter. Installed Pearson's Karmic/KDE3 remix from scratch. This one runs the "pae" version of the kernel.

The problem is only manifest when Desktop 1 is active, so the workaround is obvious. But it would be nice to be able to use Desktop 1 as well.
    Hmmm...very odd. I run over 20 machines with Karmic and KDE3 and have yet to see this bug (not that it doesn't exist; just makes troubleshooting more difficult).

Can you try creating a brand new user, log in under that user with KDE3, and then see if the problem exists there? This is to see if any of the configuration files in ~/.kde3 are the problem.

Beyond that, troubleshooting becomes more arcane--let's see of the config files are the problem first.

Tim
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans

Tim - that was fast, thanks. But I've resolved the issue, sort of, while encountering a new mystery. And your suspicion was on the mark.

Short story: the kdesktop-kde3 CPU-hogging problem was caused by setting Pager Options | Background to Desktop Wallpaper. Changing it to Elegant or Transparent eliminates the problem.

... After which I can't get the Desktop Wallpaper setting to stick anymore - it won't checkmark - and that's the new mystery.

My old machine had Pager Options | Background set to Desktop Wallpaper for a long time, but the problem only appeared after an an-upgrade about a month or so ago, IIRC. My new laptop initially wouldn't let me set the Pager Options to Desktop Wallpaper but after several random tries it took, and that's probably when the problem started on that machine. My brand-new install on a new desktop has not yet allowed me to set that option, and it's fine otherwise.

I hope there's a clue there somewhere...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by eb53 View Post
    Tim - that was fast, thanks. But I've resolved the issue, sort of, while encountering a new mystery. And your suspicion was on the mark.

Short story: the kdesktop-kde3 CPU-hogging problem was caused by setting Pager Options | Background to Desktop Wallpaper. Changing it to Elegant or Transparent eliminates the problem.

... After which I can't get the Desktop Wallpaper setting to stick anymore - it won't checkmark - and that's the new mystery.

My old machine had Pager Options | Background set to Desktop Wallpaper for a long time, but the problem only appeared after an an-upgrade about a month or so ago, IIRC. My new laptop initially wouldn't let me set the Pager Options to Desktop Wallpaper but after several random tries it took, and that's probably when the problem started on that machine. My brand-new install on a new desktop has not yet allowed me to set that option, and it's fine otherwise.

I hope there's a clue there somewhere...
    Yes, there is a clue there. About that time I was heavily reworking the desktop and pager to fully support Compiz (multiple viewport wallpapers and all) and I ran into the same problem with the Desktop Wallpaper option that you did. Apparently it is still broken; would you mind filing a bug at http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net (on or after 12/15/2009; server is down due to disk failure at the moment)? Otherwise I tend to forget about users' bugs.

Thanks!

Tim

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist159 View Post
    Yes, there is a clue there. About that time I was heavily reworking the desktop and pager to fully support Compiz (multiple viewport wallpapers and all) and I ran into the same problem with the Desktop Wallpaper option that you did. Apparently it is still broken; would you mind filing a bug at http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net (on or after 12/15/2009; server is down due to disk failure at the moment)? Otherwise I tend to forget about users' bugs.

Thanks!

Tim
    No problem. And now that I realize which Tim you are, thank you for keeping kde3.5 alive! It must be quite the effort, for which I'd bet I'm not the only one who's vastly appreciative.

Beans

so I love the kde3.5 remix

I'm just having trouble with sound when I integrated kde3.5 into my existing ubuntu install. Any suggestions?

Edit: Found the PulseAudio Volume Control... Somehow, my output device got muted. Wierd!
    Last edited by d3matt; December 17th, 2009 at 04:47 AM.

Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast