Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Quote Originally Posted by red_team316 View Post
    Thanks for the list.

BTW, I noticed alot of the package maintainer lines had not been changed. Is there a specific reason you did this? It doesn't make sense that you have packages with the 7 on them that say they are maintained by others. It's easy to spot out what packages are coming from your repo that have your name on them. Are you going to update them? I think you should that way it is obvious where it came from.
    Yes, it's on my to-do list. When I first started this project I was a complete newbie to the packaging system and didn't even know about the Maintainer line until I had compiled all of the i386 packages. If you go to the amd64 packages you will see that this bug was fixed there, but I've been waiting on the rest of the i386 packages to see if any more serious bugs will crop up first.

Okay, I'll take your word for it that kdelibs5 packages dont conflict. It just seems kind of leery leaving them in there considering it's possible they might point to .kde

GNOME itself is a bug lol. I suppose I can file a bug under chroot for intrepid as filing something against kdm might not be a good idea considering it was their intention for intrepid to be KDE4 only. There may be a package that you need to add to your repo to get kdm/mouse/keyboard working...

where do I find the kdesu file(s) and where does the file(s) need to go? I'd rather not go on a wild goose chase
    Here is the actual output from the terminal when testing in kvm/qemu:
    Code:
    kubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo adept_manager
    kapture::PkgSystem::PkgSystem()
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-kubuntu" is owned by uid 999 instead of uid 0.
    debconf
    adduser
    sysklogd
    snort-mysql
    oinkmaster
    debconf
    adduser
    sysklogd
    snort-mysql
    oinkmaster
    kdecore (KProcess): WARNING: _attachPty() 43
    It kind of looks like I need to chown them but the only package I can find in your list you posted is debconf...
    hmm..it's adding packages to the terminal output as I look through adept. oinkmaster isn't installed, neither is snort-mysql, etc...
    Is this normal behavior?
    EDIT: nvm, I fired up adept_manager on my Hardy box and get similar output. I'm not worried about it now.

Installed kubuntu-default-settings. Looks like you added kubuntu-artwork-usplash also(makes me happy)
    Let's see if kdesu is actually the problem. From within a KDE session, go to Konsole and type
    Code:
    kdesu adept_manager
    If that works, then you're OK. If not, I'll post further instructions.
    Last edited by madscientist159; November 3rd, 2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dentaku65 View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install kde3 jockey-kde
    I had trouble performing the upgrade. (It bummed out at the dist-upgrade with trying to removing some file (flag.png of all things) that was also available in another package.

Eventually requiring me to select all KDE* packages in Synaptic for Complete removal in order to get the package dead-lock solved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist159 View Post
    Those are harmless--just ignore them. Basically they cropped up because I had to manually edit one or two of the packages in order to fix critical bugs fast enough; they will disappear once I recompile those packages.
    I ignored them, just saying

I will look into the keybinding issue. Can you delete your /home/<username>/.kde directory (or back it up somewhere and then delete it) and see if that fixes the problem? This will clear your KDE settings entirely, but most of the time it will also clear up odd issues like that one.
    I did, no improvement, see http://www.euronet.nl/users/wesleys/...nu_default.png

I reported the bug on your bugzilla btw (guess you saw that already).

Nah, puzzled, now I can add shortcuts (I have my old .kde dir). Applied some updates from your repo, maybe that fixed it.... weird.
    Last edited by slakkie; November 3rd, 2008 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

kdesu is not installed in the ISO I built. It must not be in your repos... I tried firing it up with kdesudo and that worked but I still get the output. I'm not really worried about the output, I'm considering it normal as I saw the same thing happening on my hardy box when I tested last night.

Even on my hardy box, in the kmenu, the command adept manager does not use kdesu
    Code:
    Name: Adept Manager
    Description: Manage Packages
    Comment: Manage installed and available software
    Command: adept_manager
    checked: Enable launch feedback
    checked: Run as a different user
    Username: (It is left blank)
    This is exactly the same when I test the ISO in kvm/qemu but the menu launcher doesn't work...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

kdesu is not installed in the ISO I built. It must not be in your repos... I tried firing it up with kdesudo and that worked but I still get the output. I'm not really worried about the output, I'm considering it normal as I saw the same thing happening on my hardy box when I tested last night.

Even on my hardy box, in the kmenu, the command adept manager does not use kdesu
    Code:
    Name: Adept Manager
    Description: Manage Packages
    Comment: Manage installed and available software
    Command: adept_manager
    checked: Enable launch feedback
    checked: Run as a different user
    Username: (It is left blank)
    This is exactly the same when I test the ISO in kvm/qemu but the menu launcher doesn't work...
    OK...I would hazard a guess that the problem is in the .kde settings directory then. Normally I'd delete it and let KDE recreate the correct settings, but that won't work on an ISO obviously. I'll have to think about that one...
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you for posting these directions.

I got as far as

but while this is running, the terminal is taken over by a screen that tries to get me to select mailserver options. That would be fine, but that screen won't take any input from me; the process hangs there.

To hedge my bets, I'm backing up my home directory preparatory to writing Hardy Heron over my Ibex installation. I would like to stay with the newer distro, but I really want KDE 3. I tried KDE 4 for several hours, and experienced too many anomalies. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing with 4, but I can't spend more time on it now.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

OK...I would hazard a guess that the problem is in the .kde settings directory then. Normally I'd delete it and let KDE recreate the correct settings, but that won't work on an ISO obviously. I'll have to think about that one...
    How about adding kdesudo to your repo. I find it odd that the kdesudo that is present on my ISO is for KDE4 but it's not in your repo list I bet that will clear it up.
    Let me know when you've added it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KDE3IntrepidKDESUDO.png 
Views:	32 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	91049  
    Last edited by red_team316; November 4th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by Futurian View Post
    Thank you for posting these directions.

I got as far as

but while this is running, the terminal is taken over by a screen that tries to get me to select mailserver options. That would be fine, but that screen won't take any input from me; the process hangs there.

To hedge my bets, I'm backing up my home directory preparatory to writing Hardy Heron over my Ibex installation. I would like to stay with the newer distro, but I really want KDE 3. I tried KDE 4 for several hours, and experienced too many anomalies. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing with 4, but I can't spend more time on it now.

Thanks!
    Try to load the dist-upgrade command in pure console; do CTRL-ALT-F1 and log to the console, then do the dist-upgrade you described above.
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/
    ------------------------------------------------

Beans
    Distro

Here is a list of packages I found that are still needing to be added for the KDE3 versions to the repo or other packages that need removed from IntrepidKDE3. Why you are keeping some KDE4 stuff for compatibility still eludes me, supposedly you can add the nightly neon repo for KDE4, I would think those packages are there. My Installed Hardy works fine and I have no KDE4 packages, even kdelibs5 :/ Keeping KDE4 stuff for compatibility doesn't make sense to me, as if someone really wants KDE4, then they can use the standard Intrepid ISO(or nightly neon)
    Code:
    ktorrent
    ksystemlog
    khelpcenter4 (still exists on ISO)
    kdelibs5
    kdelibs5-data
    kdelibs-bin
    libkdecorations4
    libkwineffects1
    python-kde4
    gwenview
    Someone please comment on this(dentaku65, you made the tut. Does nightly neon satisfy the urge for KDE4) Not to mention, there are KDE4 apps in the KDE3 repo, then if an update comes along, you wont get it as KDE3 is like an upgrade.

Also, I'm pretty sure without removing all the KDE4 packages, it is unlikely anyone will be able to strip enough without removing oOo from it to get it under 700MB.
    Last edited by red_team316; November 4th, 2008 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

To the poster who wanted to know how to "downgrade" back to KDE4:
    You will need to run this command before attempting to install the KDE4 master meta-package (kubuntu-desktop, IIRC):
    sudo apt-get remove '.*kde.*'
    This is the correct line, either use remove or purge, the -s is to simulate, so you can see what it will do, remove it if you are happy about the actions it will take to actually perform the removal.

aptitude -s <purge|remove> "~n kde"
    Last edited by slakkie; November 4th, 2008 at 05:34 PM.

Page 4 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast