Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Quote Originally Posted by bennywhere View Post
    Tim,
    nope that doesn't seem to work... same error.
    Now, what about the comment above yours regarding moving everything from /usr/kde3 to /opt/kde3? Would you suggest doing that?

Thanks!
    You could, but back up both directories first. The problem is that as I continue to release fixed packages over the next few days, they will end up conflicting with the files you just coped over and this will give your package manager (and you!) a monumental headache.

Try these compile options: --prefix=/opt/kde3 --with-extra-includes=/opt/kde3/include/kde --with-extra-libs=/opt/kde3/lib

Also, why don't you submit a bug report (a.k.a package request) for the package you are trying to compile? I'd be happy to add it to the repository...

Once again, I apologize for all the problems this has caused. I was originally going to do this all overnight, but the PPA size problem really messed that up.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans

Tim, no need to apologize, we all appreciate your work on this!

As for the bug report: I'm modifying the source to enhance the program, which does not even come as a .deb package (as far as I know). It's really only the compilation that doesn't work anymore since today's update. ./configure actually recognizes /opt/kde3 when it's checking for kde-config

Regarding the copying over: I guess I'd rather wait... nobody likes headaches!

Thanks for your help.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist159 View Post
    I just noticed that the new kdebase compiled, so those who were unlucky enough to already update their systems try an update in about 30 minutes or so--the new kdebase will restore quite a bit of functionality.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Tim
    Tim, sorry for all the trouble you're having. I wish I had read this earlier. I figured out how to get KDM working on my own, and then read this thread.

I find going to the end of a long web conversation very inconvenient. Is there an email gateway for this forum? Or is there a mailing list you monitor to discuss your wonderful PPA repository? I bet there are a lot of folks using it and it would be nice to have a mailing list.

If you're looking for suggestions, I think the kubuntu users mailing list would be the appropriate place, but anywhere would be great.

Thanks for all your hard work,

Michael

Hi Tim,

Thanks for repository, first of all!

Secondly - I had the same problem with kdm, but fixed /etc/X11/default-display-manager. It's OK now.

But I have also lost some progs, that are left disconnected in /usr/kde3/bin/. Can you suggest temporary solution, how to use them? I mean PATH and libraries link.

Path is simple - I have just add
    Code:
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/kde3/bin
    export PATH
    to my .bash_profile.

But what about libs in /usr/kde3/lib/? Should I add them to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/kde3libs.conf?

Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mdhirsch View Post
    Tim, sorry for all the trouble you're having. I wish I had read this earlier. I figured out how to get KDM working on my own, and then read this thread.

I find going to the end of a long web conversation very inconvenient. Is there an email gateway for this forum? Or is there a mailing list you monitor to discuss your wonderful PPA repository? I bet there are a lot of folks using it and it would be nice to have a mailing list.

If you're looking for suggestions, I think the kubuntu users mailing list would be the appropriate place, but anywhere would be great.

Thanks for all your hard work,

Michael
    I agree. I am thinking of starting a kubuntu-kde3.5-users mailing list--would anyone else like this as well? I would also start a kubuntu-kde3.5-announce list so that I can warn people when I am rolling out a major update like this one...

Quote Originally Posted by kekc View Post
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for repository, first of all!

Secondly - I had the same problem with kdm, but fixed /etc/X11/default-display-manager. It's OK now.

But I have also lost some progs, that are left disconnected in /usr/kde3/bin/. Can you suggest temporary solution, how to use them? I mean PATH and libraries link.

Path is simple - I have just add
    Code:
    PATH=$PATH:/usr/kde3/bin
    export PATH
    to my .bash_profile.

But what about libs in /usr/kde3/lib/? Should I add them to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/kde3libs.conf?

Thanks again!
    Yes, for now you can safely add /usr/kde3/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf.d/kde3libs.conf . Be sure to run ldconfig afterwards.

Status update: The core system has been updated and tested working; I am now uploading the zillions of smaller packages. Can those who already upgraded update again and let me know if anything major is still broken?

By the way, I know my bugtracker is down. The server it is hosted on has a magically-shrinking free disk space problem; I have only see it once or twice before, and only on this particular server. I haven't had time to track the root cause down, so Bugzilla remains offline for now.

Tim
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Can those who already upgraded update again and let me know if anything major is still broken?
    I've just updated again. The Knetworkmanager works if started from /usr/kde3, only the icons are missing here and there. But somewhat worse: Kaffeine tells me "Loading of player part 'xine_part' failed." on startup and therefore is unable to play any media files.
    Otherwise I didn't find any bigger issues for now.

Thank you and keep up the good work!
    Martin

Beans
    Distro

Can those who already upgraded update again and let me know if anything major is still broken?
    Today I completely removed my kde3, made a "aptitude clean" and installed it again. During the installation I had chosen kdm-kde3 as my default display manager, but the package still writes "/usr/kde3/bin/kdm" to /etc/X11/default-display-manager. Yakuake is currently not usable. It crashes after the start.

Thanks for your work, Tim!
    Last edited by xylometazolin; March 4th, 2009 at 10:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by xylometazolin View Post
    Today I completely removed my kde3, made a "aptitude clean" and installed it again. During the installation I had chosen kdm-kde3 as my default display manager, but the package still writes "/usr/kde3/bin/kdm" to /etc/X11/default-display-manager. Yakuake is currently not usable. It crashes after the start.

Thanks for your work, Tim!
    yes, same happens to me yakuake is broken

Beans

Thanks very much for your work which allows me to continue using KDE3. Continuing the messages about problems arising from this week's changes, I have had problems with compiz after this morning's updates. Compiz was working for me yesterday. Here are some of the errors and my attempted temporary fixes :

> compiz --replace
    Checking for Xgl: not present.
    Detected PCI ID for VGA:
    Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
    Checking for non power of two support: present.
    Checking for Composite extension: present.
    Comparing resolution (1280x1024) to maximum 3D texture size (8192): Passed.
    Checking for nVidia: present.
    Checking for FBConfig: present.
    /opt/kde3/bin/compiz: 406: /usr/kde3/bin/compiz.real: not found

> sudo ln -s /opt/kde3/bin/compiz* /usr/kde3/bin/

> compiz --replace
    /usr/kde3/bin/compiz.real (core) - Error: Couldn't load plugin 'ccp'

> sudo ln -s /usr/kde3/lib/compiz/lib*.so /opt/kde3/lib/compiz/

> compiz --replace
    /usr/kde3/bin/compiz.real (core) - Warn: Unable to parse XML metadata from file "ccp.xml"

ln -s /usr/share/compiz/* /opt/kde3/share/compiz/

> compiz-decorator --replace
    Couldn't find a perfect decorator match; trying all decorators
    Found no decorator to start

> sudo ln -s /opt/kde3/lib/libdecoration.so* /usr/kde3/lib/

At this point, it still wasn't working so I gave up because I need to get on with some work. Any help on these issues much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

The kile packages seems to be currently not available.

But kaffeine works again. Thanks, Tim.
    Last edited by xylometazolin; March 5th, 2009 at 03:47 PM.

Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast