Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Freelrjd and Lars,
    I do not have idea when the kde3 packages will be ready, I supposed soon and I think Madscientist159 is working hardly on it; please be patient... if you stay in Intrepid and if you have (too much) trouble to work in kde4 just switch into Gnome in the meantime since kde3 will be ready.
    Last edited by dentaku65; November 23rd, 2008 at 12:54 AM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

How does this affect the creation of an ISO? Will there be an official one compiled from the KDE3 repo or will I still have to create a non-official one?

With it pointing to kde3, it will be much cleaner. I like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by freelsjd View Post
    The main problem I had with kde4 was that it does not have hiding panels as of intrepid. This issue alone was enough to revert back to kde3. Now am I going to have to revert back to Hardy ? And for how long ? Am I now going to give up Ubuntu (or kubuntu) altogether because of this issue. This absolutely makes no sense to me at all ! You have a set of packages which are open source, and you force the guy to back down and not make them available to people that want them ?

Now that I have blown a little steam, how can the average user help out ? Can you at least tell us what the plan is ?
    Yes.

I am currently porting kdebase to the -kde prefix. While I am close, do not expect that set of packages uploaded to the PPA and to my apt.pearsoncomputing.net repository for a couple of days yet. Once that group of packages is up, kdm and the base system will be available for use, but will not be very useful without the other packages for network, admin, etc.

I am currently placing the binaries in /usr/kde3, and modifying everything else to have a -kde3 suffix. For example, /etc/init.d/kdm becomes /etc/init.d/kdm-kde3, but the executable is /usr/kde3/bin/kdm. This should allow the system shared files to operate properly, providing the same tight integration with the rest of the system that Hardy and earlier always had. The only downside to this is that it is taking even longer to get the work done.

Redteam,

No, I do not think there will not be an "official" ISO, so please work on it when the new packages are up.

I will post more when I have time.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro

The first of many KDE3 packages are now up at https://launchpad.net/~kb9vqf/+archive

Please note that this is for developers only at the moment.

The KDE base components are up as of 11/24/08, and KDM3 is (mostly) operational. There are a few glitches to work out, but this will allow others to start porting other KDE3 packages as well.

My to-do list, in order, is:
    arts [provided by Intrepid]
    libs [provided by Intrepid]
    base [operational, alpha status]
    graphics
    artwork
    multimedia
    accessibility
    games
    admin
    toys
    utils
    pim
    sdk
    addons
    edu
    network
    webdev
    others (kubuntu-desktop, etc.)

As you can see, I have a long way to go. The good news is that kdebase is the largest and most complex group of packages (it has the most system "hooks"), so the others will go faster.

Alpha testers, wait for kdebase....~intrepid6 (uploading now), then have at it! KDM will display an invalid theme warning, that will not go away until kubuntu-desktop-kde3 is available. Just ignore it for now

Tim
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist159 View Post
    The first of many KDE3 packages are now up at https://launchpad.net/~kb9vqf/+archive

Please note that this is for developers only at the moment.

The KDE base components are up as of 11/24/08, and KDM3 is (mostly) operational. There are a few glitches to work out, but this will allow others to start porting other KDE3 packages as well.

My to-do list, in order, is:
    arts [provided by Intrepid]
    libs [provided by Intrepid]
    base [operational, alpha status]
    graphics
    artwork
    multimedia
    accessibility
    games
    admin
    toys
    utils
    pim
    sdk
    addons
    edu
    network
    webdev
    others (kubuntu-desktop, etc.)

As you can see, I have a long way to go. The good news is that kdebase is the largest and most complex group of packages (it has the most system "hooks"), so the others will go faster.

Alpha testers, wait for kdebase....~intrepid6 (uploading now), then have at it! KDM will display an invalid theme warning, that will not go away until kubuntu-desktop-kde3 is available. Just ignore it for now

Tim
    Hi Tim,
    but what is the apt-get install <namepackage>?

Great!
    yep ”short and long URL„

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dentaku65 View Post
    Hi Tim,
    but what is the apt-get install <namepackage>?

Great!
    ops... I see now... kubuntu-desktop-kde3 I supposed
    I'm waiting for that...
    Maybe can be useful for the users that did your repository before to do something like:
    Code:
    cp -R ~/.kde ~/.kde3
    right before to do the install....
    yep ”short and long URL„

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dentaku65 View Post
    ops... I see now... kubuntu-desktop-kde3 I supposed
    I'm waiting for that...
    Maybe can be useful for the users that did your repository before to do something like:
    Code:
    cp -R ~/.kde ~/.kde3
    right before to do the install....
    YES! As of right now that is critical.

There are not enough packages compiled to actually use KDE3 yet, so I have not uploaded the metapackages--this for developers only at this point, and they should already know which packages to install

I expect there to be many bugs, especially in kdebase, so please report them as you find them to http://bugs.pearsoncomputing.net Any deviation whatsoever from the behaviour of KDE3 under Hardy should be considered a bug and filed.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Just to add to the Choir: Madscientist, you are a hero!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by curuxz View Post
    not that I wish to make this thread into a flame, but I am so $%^&ed off with the Kubuntu team right now its unbelievable.

What were they thinking retiring KDE 3.5 without asking anyone?!?!? Better still what the hell were they thinking when they decided that KDE 4 was ready?! 90% of the functionality of kde 3.5 is missing and almost 100% of the stability.

As a user of linux for 10 years this has to be the worst move by ANY dev team I have ever seen and now I have to waste my valuable time re-installing because valiant as your post is it simply leaves half my system broken.
    Well, now it's the second worst move. Just went to madscientist's kde3 repository for Intrepid

http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/
    I have been personally contacted by the Kubuntu developers and asked to take the repository offline. At this point, to avoid further problems, that is what I have done.
    I've actually started using KDE 4.1... I'm into it now! But this is incomprehensible to me. I'm boycotting Kubuntu until someone gives me a good reason for what looks like an attempt to control how people use free software that for me smacks of Microsoft at it's worst. I've already installed Opensuse 11.0.

On the plus side, KDE 4 is really shaping up. I'm not sure it's destined to be all things to all people, but I like it a lot! And I'm sure I hated it as much as anyone.
    Last edited by blackbelt_jones; November 25th, 2008 at 08:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Quote Originally Posted by blackbelt_jones View Post
    I'm boycotting Kubuntu until someone gives me a good reason for what looks like an attempt to control how people use free software that for me smacks of Microsoft at it's worst.
    Baby and bath water come to mind.

I also feel your 'pain' in being stuck with Hardy while the KDE3/4 thing resolves itself - it's great to see people like MadScientist take initiative and shows us the benefit of free software in being able to adjust this yourself providing you have or can gain the expertise.

Running a stable and reliable repo system is what I believe is the crux of the issue, especially in terms of things like security updates and earlier in the thread explanation was given by Arby that there were not sufficient resources to do both - KDE team are keen to evolve their work and have made a decision to move resources to KDE4 - it's not sinister, opaque or underhand - it was a decision, a tough one which had to be made and time will tell if they got it right.

Yet to go further, as you have in your remarks, and start making comparisons to Microsoft is not fair thus I felt compelled to share my feeling of your comment. Yes, there are quite a few 'casualties' invovled, such as you and I, however I do not think it justifies us to be so harsh in our assessment of the KDE team and what they are able to provide today.

That's my 2c.

Page 13 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast