Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HowTo install KDE 3 into Intrepid (repost)

TekkieFreak,

Know anything about Bluetooth? Apparently the current bluez is completely incompatible with KDE3.5, and there is some heavy recoding to do on the KDE3.5 end of things.

All,

I spoke with the Kubuntu developers this morning. Basically, I will provide a script to migrate from the current "epoch 7" repository to the new -kde3 repository, and I will start the patch & rebuild process ASAP.

The good side of this is that the official KDE4 and KDE3.5 will finally be able to coexist, and I see no reason why I can't also package KDE3.5 for Jaunty. There is even the possibility of this going semi-official, but don't hold your breath.

The downside is that I have no idea how long this is going to take. I have to learn the PPA system and a few other tools...

Long term, I might be able to help KDE4 include some missing KDE3.5 options. We'll see if the KDE devs get there first though. KDE4.2 added a "standard desktop" option, so that will make a lot of people (myself included) very happy.

Status updates will be posted here as I make progress.

Tim
    Last edited by madscientist159; November 19th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
    Do you like the KDE3.5 repository and my KDE3.5 development work? Then please consider helping my work with KDE3 by donating a little something here! http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/cdimages/

Beans

ooOOO....heavy coding...as I said it's been a while. And unfortunately I know nothing about bluetooth...but again I'm willing to take a look and see what I can figure out. And if you have something a little less er *involved* to start with that would be fabulous. Like I said (at least I think I said it)...I've been out of the programming world for a while.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist159 View Post
    TekkieFreak,

Know anything about Bluetooth? Apparently the current bluez is completely incompatible with KDE3.5, and there is some heavy recoding to do on the KDE3.5 end of things.

All,

I spoke with the Kubuntu developers this morning. Basically, I will provide a script to migrate from the current "epoch 7" repository to the new -kde3 repository, and I will start the patch & rebuild process ASAP.

The good side of this is that the official KDE4 and KDE3.5 will finally be able to coexist, and I see no reason why I can't also package KDE3.5 for Jaunty. There is even the possibility of this going semi-official, but don't hold your breath.

The downside is that I have no idea how long this is going to take. I have to learn the PPA system and a few other tools...

Long term, I might be able to help KDE4 include some missing KDE3.5 options. We'll see if the KDE devs get there first though. KDE4.2 added a "standard desktop" option, so that will make a lot of people (myself included) very happy.

Status updates will be posted here as I make progress.

Tim
    I think there is a general problem with bluetooth in Intrepid:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=964139
    Even if my USB donkey works out of the box (in Gnome, I did not installed kbluetooth, sorry I miss that because I rarely use bluetooth devices)

To do a workaround, you should install anyway:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bluez-compact bluez-tools
    Then you can try these commands from terminal:
    Code:
    hcitool scan
    Code:
    hidd -s
    The strange thing is that there is no more hcid command (from bluez packages), that was useful to start the bluez connector:
    Code:
    hcid -s
    ------------------------------------------------
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Credit to madscientist159 for doing the right thing and coming to talk to us. Suddenly there are people appearing saying they want to help with Kubuntu all over the place. We've been looking for you lot for months

Anybody who wants to get involved is more than welcome. We can always use more pairs of hands. If you think you don't know how to do it, we can show you how. Contrary to popular myth you don't need to know how to code, although more of that is good too. For the people who want to start small, I'm sure we can find you something smaller than the bluetooth stack to fix. C++ and python are what we use most.

Testers are always welcome. In fact Jaunty alpha1 is out this week. Anybody who is prepared to donate a bit of bandwidth and some free time to download and test would be great. It's a pretty straight forward way to get involved. Once you get used to it you too can sit up until the wee small hours running tests because we had to re-build the images at 11pm the day before release

We could really use some bug triagers. Just some extra pairs of eyes to help us gather information and identify issues, trying to reproduce crashes etc. Good triage makes a really big difference to getting stuff fixed. It can be a bit daunting at first but there are plenty of folks around who can guide you in how to handle a new bug. The wiki has more info https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Bugs/HowToTriage

If anybody wants to join in the fun jump into #kubuntu-devel on IRC or introduce yourself on the mailing list kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com. We can always find things for people to do.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now. Looks like this is all going to work out positively then

Arby
    If you get a response that fixes your problem please make a post to say so.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Could this thread possibly be brought back on track to how to install KDE3 in Kubuntu 8.10?

I've just installed ubuntu-desktop because I can't stand it anymore. And no, I'm not just whining about not liking the new stuff ( although it is mostly annoying ), my video configuration is no longer working correctly. I watch videos in a dual xscreen; now all I get is the X server cursor on my second screen.

Someone at least make kde3 installable in 8.10 for the love of God!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by SagaciousKJB View Post
    Could this thread possibly be brought back on track to how to install KDE3 in Kubuntu 8.10?

I've just installed ubuntu-desktop because I can't stand it anymore. And no, I'm not just whining about not liking the new stuff ( although it is mostly annoying ), my video configuration is no longer working correctly. I watch videos in a dual xscreen; now all I get is the X server cursor on my second screen.

Someone at least make kde3 installable in 8.10 for the love of God!
    No possible at the moment, but for a very good reason: see post #1
    yep ”short and long URL„
    http://yep.it/

Beans

Quite Frankly, I don't really think he did anything wrong in the first place. After all, open-source is open-source...No? The idea being that anyone can use/modify/redistribute at will. So technically, he could come up with his own version and call it "Madbuntu" or whatever.

I'm not sure whether or not it's possible to "back out" of his 3.5 install...but I guess I've installed it now, it works great and I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

Heck, look how Apple just based their OS on all the open-source stuff and how they take pieces and parts and modify them to their liking, package it up and it's a multi-billion dollar business. We should all be so lucky. Ever heard of keyring? Of course, you have!!!

Anyway, this is in no way meant to be a flame. I think there's many folks out there just like me who want to use Ubuntu all the time and run a nice KDE desktop...and bottom line is that for that to happen it has to work. And yep, I'm more than willing to help!!!

I'll hop on irc and see what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Arby View Post
    Credit to madscientist159 for doing the right thing and coming to talk to us. Suddenly there are people appearing saying they want to help with Kubuntu all over the place. We've been looking for you lot for months

Anybody who wants to get involved is more than welcome. We can always use more pairs of hands. If you think you don't know how to do it, we can show you how. Contrary to popular myth you don't need to know how to code, although more of that is good too. For the people who want to start small, I'm sure we can find you something smaller than the bluetooth stack to fix. C++ and python are what we use most.

Testers are always welcome. In fact Jaunty alpha1 is out this week. Anybody who is prepared to donate a bit of bandwidth and some free time to download and test would be great. It's a pretty straight forward way to get involved. Once you get used to it you too can sit up until the wee small hours running tests because we had to re-build the images at 11pm the day before release

We could really use some bug triagers. Just some extra pairs of eyes to help us gather information and identify issues, trying to reproduce crashes etc. Good triage makes a really big difference to getting stuff fixed. It can be a bit daunting at first but there are plenty of folks around who can guide you in how to handle a new bug. The wiki has more info https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Bugs/HowToTriage

If anybody wants to join in the fun jump into #kubuntu-devel on IRC or introduce yourself on the mailing list kubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com. We can always find things for people to do.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now. Looks like this is all going to work out positively then

Arby

Beans

So what do we need to do to begin getting the kde3 packages separate from the kde4 packages so that they can co-exist on the same system?

Just let me know where to start.

Beans

The main problem I had with kde4 was that it does not have hiding panels as of intrepid. This issue alone was enough to revert back to kde3. Now am I going to have to revert back to Hardy ? And for how long ? Am I now going to give up Ubuntu (or kubuntu) altogether because of this issue. This absolutely makes no sense to me at all ! You have a set of packages which are open source, and you force the guy to back down and not make them available to people that want them ?

Now that I have blown a little steam, how can the average user help out ? Can you at least tell us what the plan is ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thank you! I'm following KDE4, but in no way shape or form is it ready for daily use or, more importantly work. I very much need KDE3 to get work done in Intrepid.

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast